Calling all Jazz Cool Cats......

NOSValves

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you think are the "have to have" armstrong lps?

Believe it or not, I have about 25-30 Louis Armstrong LPs. I love just about every kind of jazz you can name, whith the exception of the really crummy all-white big band "swing" bands IGlenn Miller, etc. YUCK). But the Armstrong that gets the MOST play from me is on COMPACT DISC:

B00001ZWLP.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This JPS reissue of the Hot Fives and Hot Sevens is AMAZING. I have most of the tunes on LPs from the 50's and 60s, but this set was a revelation! I have to say--MAKE SURE YOU GET THIS SET, as the one from a few years earlier on Columbia is HIDEOUS!!

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Fives-Sevens-Louis-Armstrong/dp/B00001ZWLP/sr=8-1/qid=1169955447/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-4407608-0873437?ie=UTF8&s=music

This might be the best $30 anyone could ever spend on music. This is the motherlode, the seed from which all jazz has come from since. I never talk about this music here because I suppose I assume everyone who would be interested knows these records by heart!. In any case, I am afraid there would be little interest in these FANTASTIC recordings around here becasue there are lo-fi, many of them recorded before the use of MICROPHONES!

As far as albums that were originally issued on LP, I like all of the Norman Ganz stuff, you know-- "Under the Stars," the Russell Garcia album, the one with Oscar Peterson, the two Ella records, etc. The Columbia records are even better, Ambassador Satch, Satchmo the Great, Live at Newport and the best of the lot,---Louis Armstrong plays Wc Handy. The Audio Fidelity LP is a killler too, especially that version of St James Infermary--WOW!

Gilbert Ill send you great old Armstrong LP that you will enjoy. I think I still have your address (the step up).

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Allan I cant believe youre so down on big band swing. ABTW, there were a lot of white guys that could flat out play. There was nothing crummy about Glenn Miller and his band.

Gilbert Ill send you great old Armstrong LP that you will enjoy. I think I still have your address (the step up).

Allan I cant believe youre so down on big band swing. ABTW, there were a lot of white guys that could flat out play. There was nothing crummy about Glenn Miller and his band.

I agree Scott. Big Band swing music is my all time favorite older music I grew up listening to it since my Dad absolutely loved it and he seen most of the big names in person in his professional baseball days. I think its just a bit too organized for the #1 Ultimate Jazz Cool Cat [;)]

Craig

There aint much that sounds better than a big ole horn section. I think one of those big bands featured both Harry James and Ziggy Elman at the same time. People danced to that stuff!

Check out Benny Goodmans Sing Sing Sing and listen to Elman on And The Angels Sing. Good stuff.

Ooooo! Ooooo! Got a stiffy,.. thank you. If you need my address, let me know duphas@cox.net

Also, thanks to Allan, and Josh for the suggestions. Will drop by Best Buy and see if I can sniff that CD out. But would love to have some vinyl.

Allan, I gather that most post-WWII LP's are crappy recordings, is that correct? Which record lable recorded some of Louis best sounding LP's?... wait, let me guess, BLUE NOTE?

"Sidney Pottie?" Good Lord...

You have to say it with a French sounding accent [:D]

EDIT:

Don't know if anyone else recognized the fact that Louis has a tendency to close his eye's when singing the heart felt lyrics in some of his recordings. I noticed it in 4 different songs that I watched last night. Sometimes he even seems to meditate himself to someplace other than planet earth. And his trumpet playing, wow, he was definitely one of the quintecencial horn blowers. And now, I repeat myself, What took me soooo long to find that voice?

EDIT II:

Stupid question for you jazz cats, but... Was Louis Armstrong (in the old days) described as a BLUES or JAZZ player. I'd swear he seems to have created the begining of what appears to be a diversion between the two sounds. At least as I understand them.

I always thought of swing as more a form of "pop" in it's day. Not that I'm down on it, but my taste in big bands runs toward the Count Basie side of things, or even later bands like Louis Bellson's, Buddy Rich (notice the drummer bias) or even Maynard Ferguson's for that horn section blast.

Harry James was great (sometimes). The Goodman band was great (most of the time). Artie Shaw was great (in a small fromat, mostly). The Dorseys and The Miller bands were big band pop orchestras--not really jazz at all.

to answer Gilbert, jazz is rooted in the blues, so you're right about Armstrong, he was born in New Orleans at the right place, at the right time. The Ken Burns series Jazz that aired on PBS previously is a nice documentary to find out more about jazz history in general, highly recommended if you can find a copy to rent as the 10 DVD set is expensive to own. A couple of clips can be found in the Charlie Rose interview below, more on Louis starts at the 9:45 mark (watch the entire interview!).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2080530107171267896

I agree Allan. Basie has always been my favorite but I enjoy the others whether "jazz" or not. Big speakers big sound! Big band big sound!

FYI guys:

All About Jazz: History of Jazz Time Line
By Doug Ronallo <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Bibliography | Suggested Reading | Disclaimer

Brief Chronology of African-American Music and Jazz

Before 1850

Folk music based on African forms. White dance and band music.

Circa 1850

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Plantation songs sung by slaves. Minstrelsy was white music meant to copy plantation songs.

During the Civil War

Slave Songs of the United States published by William Francis Allen, Charles Pickford Ware and Lucy McKim Garrison. Slave Songs of the Georgia Sea Islands published by Lydia Parrish.

After the Civil War

Prison songs.

Late 1800's

Blues develops and is complete by 1910.

1890's

Ragtime develops and is the most popular music in America between 1900 and 1911.

Early 1900's

Marching band music, Ragtime and the Blues begin to be fused into early Jazz roots.

1910 - 1920

Jazz is born in New Orleans via a combination of black and creole music.

1920's

New Orleans Jazz is the thing. The Jazz Age is born.

1930's

Swing is king and this is the only time that Jazz and popular are the same thing.

1940's

Bebop is born. It is later called simply Bop.

1950's

Hard Bop or Funk and Cool Jazz take over.

1960's

Modal and Free Jazz find followers.

1970's

Jazz fuses with one of its derivatives (Rock) to form Jazz-Rock or Fusion.

1980's

Contemporary Jazz age begins.

1990's

Hip-Hop and other forms emerge. Hard Bop revival.

Also, thanks to Allan, and Josh for the suggestions. Will drop by Best Buy and see if I can sniff that CD out. But would love to have some vinyl.

I'd second Allan's suggestion of the Armstrong JSP set. I'd also say that for the pre-tape (thank you Bing) era jazz recordings, even diehard vinylphiles might look to recent CD releases. When transfers to LP were being done 20+ years ago it was not an 'audiophile' undertaking. Now we have companies like Mosaic, Origin, Timeless, etc. They will seek out best copies from around the world and use transfer experts like Doug Pomeroy, Davies, Marsden, who will do pitch correction, have many 78 stylus profiles to select from, etc., and produce really much improved sonics from most of the LP era efforts.

One more note: The JSP Armstrong set is excellent and transfered for them. But....recently JSP (and other labels like Proper) have been simply stealing the re-mastering/transfer work of places like Mosaic. So if that bothers you please check if other prospective JSP purchases say on the front 'remastered by John R. T. Davies' (or similar)--if nothing is said it is likely a stolen transfer....

Mark

PS--watch that Burns Jazz thing with caution....didn't I see Stanley Crouch in there somewhere.....?

So as I am working on another amp I just received off Ebay, and, listening to a Jazz station on XM radio(#850,supplied to me with my Direct TV), an recorded interview with Herbie Hancock comes on. Almost word to word, he says:" Miles was the coolest cat, the coolest of all the cats. He taught me to be relaxed, daring, honest with my inner most feelings, and, to capture the moment. For when I do, I enjoy playing more".