Oak Cornwalls

ColtonGrundy

Ok guys I have a pair of 1984 Cornwalls I bought at The Salvation Army for $150.00. For the most part they are in very nice condition. I'd just like to bring new life to the oak veneer. What is the best way to do this? Any help would be great. I'd hate to make a mess of these Cornwalls just jumping in and trying to refinish these on my own.

Congratulations on your new Cornwalls! A pair of these for $150. is a steal! You don't say what kind of finish is on the oak now or what is wrong with the finish as is. If they are oil finish you can just begin applying Formby's Lemon oil furniture polish to them. If they're just dull or uneven in look, that should take care of them. If they have a lacquer finish, are gouged, deeply scratched, have missing veneer that needs to be replaced, provide more specifics and I'm sure someone here will have advice.

Best,

George

Congratulations and Welcome to the Madness!

Watco Rejuvenating Oil is a great product to add moisture and color to your wood veneer. In fact, your post just reminded me that it had been a while since I had oiled my Khorns so I just went to the gallery and gave them a nice rub-down, now they just GLOW!

For all you Klipsch X Oiled speaker fans...I just BLO'ed my speakers...second time for most since they became mine and a pair of mint Quartets that are a beautiful sounding time capsule...to remind those of us and maybe tell some of you for the first time...Dr. Bill's (not me) reciepe':

*remember*

BLO heats up as it dries so any rags and whatnot should be thouroughly washed with water and soap and disposed of safely...preferrably outside...

the Drs. recipe' IIRC: 3 parts Gum Turpentine to 1 part BLO...I found mine at Home Depot but should be able to find anywhere...good luck but wanted to share...mmmmmmm, smells nice...

...Bill

When Klipsch speaks of oiling the speakers each month, are they talking about Rejuv oil, or BLO? I put a coat of Rejuv on my khorns with some "0000" steel wool. WOW what a difference! Shine they do. I'll be posting pics when my work is complete, I will include the "wipe off rag" that started white and ended black.

CONGRATS ON YOUR STEAL OF THE CENTURY:

When I purchased my Raw Birch Cornwall's in 1983, I followed these procedures:

(1) Lightly sanded w/400+ grit sandpaper(preferably 600), wiped down w/clean rag, and tack clothed them to remove any debris.

(2) Applied a min-wax stain (rubbed in w/rag to obtain a balanced appearance. This must be done very quickly (as in less than 60 seconds).

(3) Repeated steps (1) and (2)

(4) IF YOU WANT (which I didn't) apply a clear coat lacquer (preferably sprayed)

After 24 years, the stain and appearance has held up nicely. Just occasional use of Formby's for added protection and finish.

Great looking speakers at a super price. I did notice in your pics there is a floor vent next to one of your speakers. You may want to use a "diverter" to direct the heat away from the speaker cabinet. The warm dry air can be harmful to your cabinets and finish.

HarryO

• Moderators

Really nice Cornwall's you have there and welcome to the Forum.

If you care to see how new Cornwall IIIs are produced click here http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/777100.aspx. This will show you the build process of our new Cornwall IIIs we won while attending the 2006 Piligramage in Hope.

Congratulations again.