help with processor and amp selection

InVeNtOr

Hello Everyone!

I have an old klipsch speaker set...10.5 floor, c-5 center, 4 ea surround ksb 1.1, and ksw 12 sub.

For my thearter room i have decided to go with the sony 70" 1080p tv, not the plasma one. I am choosing that over projection because the tv is half the cost and looks great. If anyone has a Sony store near them, go there and take a gander at that tv....it will blow you mind how big it is.

What I need help with is which type of processor and amps to buy. i only know of Yahama and Dennon but those are the all in one box type. i actually want seperates and that is where I am totally lost. If someone could give me some brands to check out I would greatly appreciate it. I do have 7 speakers so I guess I should get a 7.1 processor. The floor and center speakers have a rating of 100w/400w max and the surround are 75w/300max.

As for budget I am NOT looking to spend $5000 on the processor and then have to go buy the amps. I want something that is going to be better than the best item at Best Buy or Tweeter but not something so high end I can't afford.

Thanks to all who can help!

David

Welcome David,

If you want something that is not expensive but solid I would have to say Outlaw, www.outlawaudio.com. You can take a look and see if the 990 has all the inputs that you require and either the 7700 or the 7200 for the amp.

I currently have the Outlaw 950 and 7100 running my RF-83 setup and it is great. I did purchase these two used for around $900. You can look at AudioGon for used equipment if that is the way you want to go.

Again welcome to the madness and keep us informed on what you decide.

James

Madness....that is a great way to put it. Then again when you think about it....putting $5000 into a computer once a year....thats madness....or putting $50,000 into a car just to make it 1 second faster...thats madness....

My fellow Klipschians and I just want to be able to hear a great Guy Movie in the comfort of our media room or living room in their boxers and not be annoyed but surrounding idiots. If we have to spend a little hard earned money just to get a little piece of quite, I think it is worth the ... Madness....lol

Thanks for the tip. how do i find outlaw...just the web site? where do you go for buying used...just look at posts here?

I just looked at the outlaw web page...it looks like the older model 7125 would be the best choice since my speakers have the 100w/400w max and klipsch support said i should stay around the 125w to 150w. i looked at the specks and i have to say it is all &*^&%$#$ to me. i have no idea what it actually means. is there some post here that explains the specks of stuff....the break down of the numbers???

now the hard part..is a preamp/ processor and all in one? i wanted something that i hooked everything up to but didn't have any power...does that even make sence...the best example i can think of is a guy i knew had a Sunfire processor and it wouldn't work unless an amp was hooked up to it. does outlaw even have that?

The Outlaw 990 pre/pro and 7125 would be a nice combo,I had it,great power and sound.Also the Rotel 1068 and 1075 would be nice,a few hundred more but serious good looks.There are other more and less expensive,Emotiva.com,pre/pro and 7 ch amp 899.00 delivered,solid amp 63 lbs great looks.Good luck.

Receivers are usually an "All In One"...PreAmp/Processor is the Tuner (if it has one) AND the Controls (Bass, Treble, Surround Modes...etc) and NEEDS an external Amplifier...you could pick up an Outlaw 1070...underrated on their power output for an all in one...look at the 970 or 990 Pre/Pro and one of their amps if you want separates...or pick up a nice used 950/7100 (this is what I have bought new from the Outlaws...sweeeet!...;) )

Good luck...it IS madness...welcome to it.

Bill

okay, i see what you are getting at silversport...buy the 1070 processor...even though it only has 65w per channel i am not going to be using it for pushing my speakers... i am going to buy an amp...most likely the 7125 because i have 7 speakers...and they don't need more than 125w per channel...especally the surrounds...

The Outlaw 1070 is a multichannel receiver...65WPC is nice...if you want/need more...get one of their multichannel amps but you need a Pre Amp Processor (PrePro) to go along with it...think of the PrePro as the brains and a way to customize your sound and the amp as the Power to make it all happen...with Klipsch you don't NEED loads of powere and honestly the 100WPC I have with my Outlaw 7100 thropugh Heresys (96dB) is fine...also REMEMBER: You aren't EVER going to use 100WPC...that is reserved for spikes in the music or sound from movies but even still you won't even approach that...Outlaw makes a 75WPC 7 channel power amp as well as the 125WPC 7 channel amp...both would be fine...your ears would go before they EVER reached blowing your speakers...Outlaw stuff (and many of the better stuff as you move up the food chain) is underrated at their listed power...good luck.

Bill

Best combo you can get for the money....an Earthquake Cinenova Amp, recently rated the best over $3K amp in Home Theater Mag last year PLUS an Outlaw 990 processor. I have this running currenty in my HT and it provides accurate imaging, crystal clear sound and really makes the Klipsch speakers come to life.

Good luck!

well i am thinking of going with Outlaw 7125 amp for the 7 channels and the watts are only 125 which is more than enough for me. i will most likely get an Outlaw 990 processor as well.

If anyone has either one for sale at a good price I might be willing to take it off their hands.

well i am thinking of going with Outlaw 7125 amp for the 7 channels and the watts are only 125 which is more than enough for me. i will most likely get an Outlaw 990 processor as well.

If anyone has either one for sale at a good price I might be willing to take it off their hands.

Very hard to find used Outlaw, even older models. I use the 990/7500 & love it. That 990 does a heck of alot for the price & so far software upgrades are free.