Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Jan. 29

thebes

Old Man Winter's finally arrived. Only one way to keep him at
bay and that's with some hot tunes from hot climes. So let's raise the
temperature a little this week.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of music
as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp etc.)

As usual I'll start it off with:

James Cotton, "Deep in the Blues" blues, cd

A former sideman to old Muddy Waters himself, James Cotton along
with Charlie Musslewhite and a couple of others is one of a handfull of
this country's formost harpists. This album picked up a Grammy a
few years ago and for good reason. Awesome harmonica, that
wondeful gravelly voice filled with a life time of hard living, deep
Delta Blues with a touch of Chicago, this one has it all.

If the Blues Police came along one day and said "Son, ya got to
many blues, not enough for the regular folks, we're cutting you back to
five albums and sharing out the rest. Waht'cha gonna hold to?"

This is one of them.

So what do you have to share this week?

Maybe if the Blues Police come here, I'd have to keep this one, I would today, anyway..............................

LIVESTOCK : ROY BUCHANAN...................................CD.......................1975

This disc was recorded Nov. 1974 at Town Hall in New York City.....Roy Buchanan Live....I believe it's the only Live Roy disc. If you like the Basic Blues, and have a taste for the Electric Guitar, jump on this disc. He is a guy that is almost never on a "Top 20 List" of guitarists, and probably should be. This is a basic 4 piece band with a singer out front, and a Guitarist we wish we all could be. Roy Buchanan is considered by many to be one of the greatest ever, and I have no reason to doubt that statement. He let his personal Demons get the best of him, and his life ended way too early, but he left us with this performance.

1 Reelin' and Rockin'

2 Hot Cha

3 Further on up the Road

4 Roy's Bluz

5 Can I Change My Mind

6 I am A Ram

7 I'm EVIL

Good song list, really good band to back the man up, and Roy on Guitar.............Do I need to say more? I'm sure some of you are already aware of Roy Buchanan, but for you that aren't, get ahold of this disc, give it a listen. If you like Guitar, another FenderBender, like the Blues, and like live recordings, you should jump on this and add it to your collection, if you don't already have it.

Neil Diamond. Play Me: The Complete Uni Studio Recordings...Plus! MCA Records, 2002.

Whoever is responsible for cleaning up these original recordings did a fantastic job! Background noise is practically non-existent for older recordings! This collection contains many of Neil's non-hits, but all are excellent. There are a few standards, such as "Cracklin' Rosie", "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show", "I am, I Said", "Play Me", "Holly Holy" and "Sweet Caroline"

I know I sound like a broken record, but the response to this thread is frankly, TERRIBLE. Hard to believe people can't take a minute and recommend something for other members to give a listen to, yet they will go on and on about things in other sections.............I guess I'm in the minority on this one..........................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE MUSIC IS THE MAGIC...................

I know I sound like a broken record, but the response to this thread is frankly, TERRIBLE. Hard to believe people can't take a minute and recommend something for other members to give a listen to, yet they will go on and on about things in other sections.............I guess I'm in the minority on this one..........................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE MUSIC IS THE MAGIC...................

I agree 100%. Hard to believe what topics really take off on this forum. 12 replies about whether a RSX5 should be set large or small? Really? Come on. I will get off the soapbox, I know it is a forum for open discussion...

Here is a recommendation. Faith No More, CD entitled Angel Dust. I guess it could be classified as grunge/hard rock. There is a really good mix of grooves, and tunes on this CD. Takes me back to the college days, which is never a bad thing.