Never Mind

DizRotus

An eBay seller is parting out some speakers that might be of interest here. The eBay link below is to Atlas (K-55) drivers. Go to View sellers other items and youll find T-35s, a 12 woofer and a metal midrange horn.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150086986254&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

I doubt these are cast iron; aluminum is more likely. In any case, they have the appearance of the K-400 cast aluminum horn but the dimensions closer to the smaller horns used in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Cornwall (600hz) and Heresy (700hz). <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Cast-Iron-11-x4-Speaker-Horns-fit-Klipsch-K-55_W0QQitemZ150086988908QQihZ005QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have a few of those horns.

They are aluminum

They are closer to K-700's than K-600 or K-500's.

They are made by atlas.

I been looking for this size horn and have already put in a snip bid of 50 bucks agains them.

I put in some snip bids on day one of the listing....if a forum member is going to also bid on this stuff shoot me an email and I'll cancel my snip bids.

Speakerfritz said, I put in some snip bids on day one of the listing....if a forum member is going to also bid on this stuff shoot me an email and I'll cancel my snip bids.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

This issue has come up before. IMHO there is no reason for one forum member to attempt to defer to any other forum member(s) regarding eBay auctions. Doing so does not prevent a non-forum member from winning the auction. Again IMHO, each interested party should bid (whether real-time or by a sniped bid) what the item is worth to him or her. That is fair to everyone, including the seller.

The above should not be confused with selling items to other forum members. In that case, it is appropriate to grant the first interested party a right of first refusal. The unwritten forum rule is that sellers on the forum state a price and do not pit forum members against one another in a bidding war. That courtesy is irrelevant when the 3rd party world of eBay is involved.

That's true, I guess. I tend to keep my ebay off forum, but that's just a personal preference.

I also see nothing wrong with members getting together to discuss bidding on items so as not to needlessly inflate the price. I've won numerous item as the only bidder, often with bids much higher than the opening bid. Of course, sometimes there's one other sniper and one of the two of us pays a lot more than the opening bid (or reserve), though obviously the win price is within our tolerance or we wouldn;t have placed the snipe in the first place.

Unless there's a BIN option on the listing, I pretty much never bother bidding on these items I see in "FYI Ebay or Craigslist" threads as I'm sure somebody out there - member or not - that sees the thread is usually willing to take a bigger risk than I if they see it.

I don't think Fritz was offering to back off out of obligation, but simply as a nice thing to do.

I'm throwing my hat in the ring on the horns and many other items. Not just these but a half dozen being offered right now. I bid on a lot of items I don't win. I want the extra parts around for projects. I seldom buy on ebay to turn a profit. I don't see it as driving up prices at all. Capitalism! It is an auction! If you want them, bid on them. The guy might be a forum member or not. I've lost out on a lot of items to forum members. I bid what I think they are worth to me. I play with different parts to try to find a personal sound for my audio HOBBY. I get miles of pleasure playing around trying to get a look inside the designs that have been put to use.

I go to a half dozen auctions here in Indy EVERY week. I bid against the same guys daily. We understand the principle of the auction. If you want them bad enough you bid on them. Every now and then an item will be so cheap we buy it JUST because it is so cheap whether we need it or not. We all do it. Here on the forum we have a tendency to gloat over our super deals. I'm as guilty as any over that.

On the walls of a couple of the local auction houses there are signs stating the manipulation of prices on auctioned goods or conspiring to keep prices down is ILLEGAL and and prosecution is possible. This is a rough translation on my part. Not enough coffee for my brain to be working correctly.

It's great to get a bargain, save a couple of nickels and dimes when possible. Look at the other side of the auction. How many items would have been trashed if there wasn't the possibility of a good profit. I'm sure there are sellers just dumping items so they don't have to trash them. I do it at times. I do it for a profit also. I have bought items my friends on the forum have made mention of wanting. I sold them the items at exactly what I have in them. No extra charges of anykind. I've made good money on items that friends have offered me good profits on. I give away good items to friends wanting them for a good use or just wanting them for any reason.

If my buying an auction item or my bidding on an auction item is going to change anyones life or hardship anyone please let me know. I will gladly back out and feel like I have done something to make GOD smile on me today. If not, just bid more. OK?

HarryO

I agree with HarryO. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

While I don't begrudge anyone getting a bargain, they should be willing to compete with other equally worthy contenders on an auction. As I've stated before, eBay is not a true auction. There is absolutely no reason to bid before the final seconds of the auction, therefore, a sniped bid is the most logical solution. However you bid, do it late and bid once at the value it's worth to you. The high bidder wins. Expecting other interested parties to back off is naive, at best. It does not guarantee that the "favored" forum member will even win. The ONLY fair way to all concerned, including sellers, is for each interested bidder to bid what he/she is willing to pay.

DizRotus

The folks that are looking for loose parts know how to search for them.

When ever "Ebay Bird Dogs" point to stuff on ebay, I just cancell my bids. There's no point encouraging a bidding war amoung forum members. When I find out that another forum member takes intrest in something , I would rather seem them get it, then contribute to esculating the price of the item.

Since this fourm has a lot of folks intrested in Heritage parts, why on earth would I post a thread, thats indexed on google, so the whole world can take a peek as well.

So a good way of ensuring you knock off all the forum members who might have bids on an item is to post a thread about it, and we will clear out.

This really is not a big deal, the "Ebay Bird Dogs" can't be every where. They often miss stuff, and decent prices are had. Recent cases this week include LaScala's for less than 500 and K-horns for 1000 bucks. If the "Ebay Bird Dogs" would have posted a "looky Here " thread about these, the only result would have been more cost to the current winner if he elected to stay in the race, more revenue to Ebay, and of course, to the seller. None of which sounds like value added service to the fourm community as a whole.

This is my final post on this topic.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I dont fault anyone for hoping that the items on eBay in which he/she is interested stay under the radar. If I were interested in them, I too would have crossed my fingers and hoped that the bids were few and low. I too would have been disappointed if someone brought it to the attention of others (forum members or not) who might be more interested, i.e. willing to bid more than I. But I wouldnt begrudge anyone the opportunity to bid whatever the item is worth to her/him, despite the fact that I might lose out on a bargain.

Since I wasnt interested in them, I felt it would be beneficial to other forum members who might be interested but unaware of them. Naturally that might produce competition and drive up the price. I see the forum as helping the forum members in particular and the hobby in general. If alerting the forum to items of interest causes any one individual to miss out on a bargain because the item was worth more to someone else, then so be it.

I view the forum as existing for the benefit of all, and not as a way to assist an individual to gain an advantage over other forum members or an eBay seller. Nevertheless, IMHO there is no reason for anyone to forego placing a single last second bid at whatever the item is worth to him/her, just because someone else might also be interested. If each interested person placed a single last second bid that would not, IMHO, constitute a bidding war. Nevertheless, bidding early (other than a last second sniped bid) is pointless and serves only to drive up the final price, much to the sellers delight.

Some people view bid sniping as somehow unsavory; I totally disagree. If ten people are interested in an item, each is free to place a sniped bid at the maximum he/she is willing to pay. The high bidder will prevail. A sniped bid will only register at the lowest increment necessary to exceed the next highest bid. If the item has a reserve and no bid meets the reserve, a sniped bid will not jump to the reserve; the item will remain unsold. Naturally, sellers dislike sniped bids as they watch their auctions end with little or no action only to see flurries of activity in the final seconds. If sellers dislike that scenario, they're free to not use eBay.

While its noble to defer to another who has expressed an interest in an eBay item, its also naïve. If you refrain from bidding $500 because you know another forum memberor anyone elsewho wants it but can only bid $450, its entirely possible that a third party will win the auction with a bid of $475.

The only fair system is for each individual to bid that amount he/she is willing to pay. Any collusive attempt to suppress bidding is no more ethical than shill bidding to artificially drive up the price. The first cheats the sellers and the latter cheats the buyers; theyre both wrong.

If you get a bargain, congratulations. If you lose fair and square to someone who values it more, thats the nature of competition. Ill continue to call the forums attention to auctions that I feel might be of interest to the members. The person who values it the most will win, which is as it should be.