7 heresy theater

chambers1517

I have 3 lascalas and 2 khorns that I had in my theater. We recently moved and I am about to build a new room. I had a lascala behind a perforated screen in my old theater but always wondered how much video image I was loseing. I am considering selling my old speakers and going to hereseys. Iwould place them under the screen and not use a perforated one. I would also be able to go to a 7.1 system. All of my speakers are the same vintage, late 90's. Is this a good idea?

I think the 7 hersey setup is a great idea.

Doing the same thing soon.

The question of selling your old speakers vs the new proposal really depends on your space.  My soon to be room is only 14X18 and can't be a dedicated HT room.  A third of which will be a game room, the other 2 thirds limited media functions.

Hello,

What projector and screen do you have now? In my opinion there are many low quality perforated screens that jepordize video performance. I think Stewart has the best with no picture quality loss IMHO.I have a Stewart now. I had other manufacuture of screens through the years and for some reason never wanted to spend the extra money on a Stewart. When I did switch over which has only been since last July the difference was night and day without any doubt. I have two fabrics that I play with a Firehawk and Studio Tech 130 with a Marantz 12S4. Just my two cents

rmlowz

I wouldn't sell Klipschorns and La Scalas to buy 7 Heresy, but I'm
sure a 7-Heresy setup would sound good with a very good sub crossed
over at 80 Hz. But don't expect to get the same dynamics from the
Heresy setup. I have a Heresy center and it sounds a bit
compressed at high volumes in comparison to Klipschorns.

I had a lascala behind a perforated screen in my old theater

Chambers...weren't you in Lenoir City?? I seem to recall someone in LC selling some stuff and they had a LaScala stuffed into the wall up off the floor???

You still in the area?

Used to have two Khorn fronts, Belle Klipsch center, and two Heresy rears... Changed to Heresy fronts, Heresy center and Heresy rears for about a month... missed the full live sound of Khorns and Belle Klipsch center.. but had already sold the Khorns...so now I have three Belle Klipsches for fronts and center along with keeping the Heresys for the rear... much happier with the current HT since I can also adjust toe-in on the Belle Klipsches to suit my taste.

Yes I am in Lenoir city. I really didn't get any responses the last time and since I really wasn't sure what I was going to due, I didn't pursue it any further. I have an optoma h79 but left the screen dehind since the people who bought my house wanted it. I have the speakers in storage until my new house is complete, about a month away. This setup was incredible but after talking to videophiles they suggest to never use an acoustic screen. There is no other way to use a center lascala. I went behind the screen while I still had this setup and there was a lot of light going through. This would be reflected back with a solid screen. The screen was a DaLite microperf. I had a center lascala in the wall and could go behind it. Thanks for any help. My new room will be 22x26 and have 8ft ceilings. With a center lascala there is no room above it for a big enough screen. I tried a center Heresy with the Khorns but felt the Khorns were being underused. Phantom mode always sounded better. When I got the center Lascala it was much improved.

Yes I am in Lenoir city.

I sent you a pm. I live in Greenback (on Tellico Lake) and work in Knoxville. I drive through LC twice a day.

Could you take a LaScala, lay it on its side, remove the top horns and place them above your screen?? I'd do what ever I could to keep that system together if I were you. Placing the top horns above the image is what I was thinking on trying.

If you have an interest to hear the Jubilees, lemme know and we'll get together!

The only caveat might be the side surrounds need to be sprayed some for movies (this is how they are mixed).

Here is an idea for Klipsch and you home builders,,,, Just maybe use Hersey parts and say if you had 2 HF tweeters, 2 mid range horns and 2 woofers.. ina V box (if that would work at all) you could you get that desired effect too. And that's per side,....

Maybe that would be the desired Heritage Side fill surround speaker we all want (ed).

I had 7 scalas and I was 99% happy.... I switched to the THX KS 525's I am 99.9% happy now. Go figure!

Chambers,

I highly recommend that you look into the SMX screen as mentioned above. I have one and can tell you that you will give up very little in video performance compared to ANYTHING! Not just AT screens. Thanks to a neighbor with a "solid" screen I was able to do a comparision in my theater, with my equipment. Very little loss of brightness. If I remember correctly, the guy who found the screen material and started SMX has the same projector you do.

In a room the size you are going to have, I believe you will notice the location of the center channel if it is above or below the screen. Especially since you already have experience with an acoustically transparent screen. As with many things, trade-offs are part of the process. Video supremecy vs audio supremecy vs budget supremecy...[;)] For me it was audio supremecy...I suspect with your current Heritage setup, it might be the same for you...

Good luck with your research...

Isn't the Jubilee made (eq'd) to be behind a screen? (perhaps it's the 3 way version???)

Seems like an easy answer to me!!! Add Chambers in the group and the Greater Knoxville area could become "Jubilee Central"

Chambers, let me know when you might care to swing by. Since you're local it can be weekday night or weekend. I try to make sure it's timed so wife is gone to work so she doesn't have to put up with some of the SPL's we've done in the past.

If you know the area, I'm about a mile from Axley Chapel church, on (gasp) Coytee road!!

The only caveat might be the side surrounds need to be sprayed some for movies (this is how they are mixed).

Here is an idea for Klipsch and you home builders,,,, Just maybe use Hersey parts and say if you had 2 HF tweeters, 2 mid range horns and 2 woofers.. ina V box (if that would work at all) you could you get that desired effect too. And that's per side,....

Maybe that would be the desired Heritage Side fill surround speaker we all want (ed).

I had 7 scalas and I was 99% happy.... I switched to the THX KS 525's I am 99.9% happy now. Go figure!

Yes and more yes - the heresy parts route sounds very good.

Yes - you will very much like a 7 heresy set up if you have a quality sub woofer and appropriate electronics. I am a proponent of the Hersey's versatality and ability to fit a room.

Do Not sell the Khorns - make room for a listening room separate from the HT. I don't think you will regret it.

An a final yes - all belles, scalas or Khorn (or an appropriate mix) should dound better.

My 2 cents

I am VERY MUCH enjoying my 5 Heresy Home Theater so I can imagine that the 7 Heresy would be sweeter still...I have had the crossovers of my mains and surrounds redone by Bob Crites and the center Heresy has had the crossover done by DeanG...very nice and I'll also agree on placement issues...the center was a bit difficult for me but I can adjust...as for mains and surrounds...I had tried a Quartet and Academy Home Theater which I also REALLY enjoyed BUT the placement of the Quarts is a bit of an issue with their rear mounted passive radiator...good luck and looking forward to your review and pics!...:)

Bill

Any week day next week after around 4pm. except wed. I have to work late. No problem to run up for a couple hours. Whatever works best for you works for me.

You can call me at work if you want to (on Monday) 531-5888. I'll know more than about when SWMBO will be absent.

[:D]