Won a pr of old Lascala's

NJbob

Looking for help, I just scored a pr of old beat up Lascalla's and need advice. I gues the Replacing the x-over caps is frist. Can somoen tell me the values. Also The transormers look kind of funky. same question...Is their anything else? Please advise away. I will be using thesewith my Fi X 2a3 SET amp or if I need more power a mint Dynaco ST70.

Lascala x-over AA

THanks

Bob

You did very well, when you consider that some folks buy these just to strip the parts and re-list the parts on ebay.

Easy way out on the finish is to use a liquid sanding prep fluid, rough sand them with out the intention of getting them to bare wood, fill the voids and cracks with fiberglass auto filler or plastic wood, prime, and paint, and be done with it. I like to use metal oil base paint on rough LaScalas becuase it cuts right thru and soaks right into the wood. Water base paint will just sit on top of the old stuff and will chip easy.

You have to balance the time and cost of re-finishing them against what it would cost just to make new birch ply cabs from scratch.

Your right about the round corners. The cost of making round corners square corners in terms of time, materials, would make it a tough way to go vs making new birch ply cabs.

NJBob, the amount of work needed for them, depends on where they will be and of course $$ you want to spend.

Great price, and if all of the drivers work, your already ahead of the game..

With the looks of the X overs you have visually (ouch) there are some people on the BB or elsewhere that make x overs for your speakers. (Bec, DeanG, AL come to mind.) You can check Ebay or Audiogon too. All have their preferences as well. I am not sure, but if you supply the numbers off of the back of your speakers perhaps Klipsch might also sell you a pair. Look for Colterphoto1 on the forum he may help you.

We will be curious to see where you go with these. Some really take great care to restore them to original specs others do a lot of things to them as well.

Either way, you have fatastic sounding speakers, no matter what they look like now.

There's hope for those La Scalas. Check out the thread below, especially toward the end.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/616881/ShowPost.aspx

The networks looked worse than yours.

First start with fresh capacitors (Bob Crites aka BEC) is a source. Bob will tell you that the auto-formers should work fine, despite their appearance.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Neil,

Yours were not even the worst I have seen.  The worst was from a pair of La Scalas that had been through a flood.  The crossovers were encased in dried mud, looked like they came from an archaeological dig.  Same for the K-77 tweeters and K-55V midranges.  First thing I did was take them outside and use the water hose on them.  Took the K-55s and K-77s apart and cleaned them in the sink.  Next step was to let all that dry in the hot August sun for several hours.  Replaced the diaphragms, replaced the caps in the crossovers, and everthing tested like new.

Bob

Dont do this immediately, but you might be interested in considering the bass bin modification described on the forum. The link below describes it and links to other pertinent threads.

Re: I have Ported the La Scalas!

I would perform the simple and totally reversible modification on any La Scalas that I ever own.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Every now and then on this great forum someone will give away a pair of cabinets in decent condition. You might want to keep your eyes open for some to pop up within a reasonable distance.

I've found this forum to be extremely helpful and a bunch of very nice people. It's a very nice community.

HarryO

Before you start a rather heavy process of sanding and painting, check this product
http://www.leeuwenburgh.com/

I am sure they have a dealer in the US.

You should be able to put new veener on your speakers for $2-300, and they will look like new!

So easy to work with that almost anybody can do it. Just ensure bad dents on corners are plastered.

I will post pictures of the process of putting this product on my Khorns in a week or so..

"So easy to work with that almost anybody can do it.  Just ensure bad dents on corners are plastered"

The pair have rounded corners.....it would be a night mare to fill in.