Master Tape Sound At Home

coda

• Moderators

Hi Travis,

1/4" 2 track nearly finished , a year and a half restoration ....
I'm finally getting the MR70 done. The head stack is off to JRF so just waitng now and finishing the restoration. Enjoy,

Did you ever get this up and running? Very curious to hear what your experience has been with this beautiful restoration.

Travis

In reference to "The Tape Project" tapes.....Does anyone have one that they would be willing to let me Audition on my Studer? Reason I am asking is, before I consider spending this amount of money on 10.5 sub-Masters, I would certainly love to know if it would be worth it. I am totally sure that the quality is there, I would just like to hear one to prove it to myself. If anyone has one that they would be willing to ship to me for a week, I would be glad to pay the fees both ways.

Hope this made sense......

• Moderators

In reference to "The Tape Project" tapes.....Does anyone have one that they would be willing to let me Audition on my Studer? Reason I am asking is, before I consider spending this amount of money on 10.5 sub-Masters, I would certainly love to know if it would be worth it. I am totally sure that the quality is there, I would just like to hear one to prove it to myself. If anyone has one that they would be willing to ship to me for a week, I would be glad to pay the fees both ways.

Hope this made sense......

Happy too.

Take your pick:

Saxaphone Collossus

Waltz for Debbie

Creek Bank

I will call you at office if you give me a good time to get address, etc.

Travis

Jay,

I talked to Travis yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed our conversation. He is sending me something with "SaxaphonesBig Smile" in it....looking forward to it's arrival....! I am also going to test a MiniDSP on the 402's and this may be the perfect test tape along with a few CD's........we will see...!

W.C. while you have that tape there to listen to make all the test you want because you will miss it when it's gone nothing compares, the very finest analog you will ever hear short of a live venue.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Travis, Jay and Everyone,

The only thing that can come out of my mouth at the present is....BLOWN AWAY.....! Hands down the cleanest, clearest, most delicate recording that I have ever listened to. As an OLD Sax Player, listening to Sonny Rollins work the REED, was just pure magic. He was complimented by Tommy Flannagan (Piano), Doug Watkins (Bass) and Max Roach (Drums) which made for a pretty great ensamble, to listen to. The clarity, with absolutely NO Hiss was a pure pleasure. I have been going through my tape collection for the last three days, comparing different recordings to the Tape Project's and I can assure you that I have nothing close to the quality of the Tape Project's Master recordings. While they may seem to be expensive, the quality of the recording, knowing exactly how it was done and the total quality of the packaging, brings them more inline with the cost of other so called "Master" recordings and with these you know exactly what you are getting. After listening to them on a decent machine, the quality of what you are getting, will become very obvious.

Travis, I will get these back to you in tomorrow's mail and all I can say is....You have sold me on these tapes and I can not thank you enough for being so generous.

post-57654-13819823844256_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

"By Wes Phillips
January 27, 2007 —
Out
of all the audiophile phrases, none stirs the hearts of music lovers
like "true to the master tape"—not even "the absolute sound" of the
original instruments, which even audio idealists realize is simply too
much to demand. But true to the sound of the recorded master tape, now
surely that's a goal within reach."

Wes Phillips is obviously an idiot, a poser, someone who lacks even the most basic knowledge of recording and sound reproduction.

As a matter of fact, I personally have recorded and played back my own master "tapes" (recordings) that have in fooled everyone present in the room, including myself as well as the musician(s) that played on the recording.

The ability to reproduce the original "sound" is what the goal is. It is the only real and tangible measure of how accurate the "system" is. If it can fool four out of four people present, or 6 out of 7, most or some of the time, then you have an extremely fine playback system. If you want the "system" to sound "better" than that, be my guest, but that's not "real". If the "system" is first known to be "accurate" enough to fool the listener(s) then you are welcome to modifiy the sound quality to your heart's content and you can still claim the system is capable of accurate sound reproduction.

The problem here is that many "audiophiles" have never played a musical instrument or sing (especially professionally), and have never even attempted to make a "realistic" recording using any of the most basic or simple sounds we encounter in everyday life, much less music. How is one to know "what's on the master tape" when one has never made one?

It's apparent that Wes Phillips has never experienced nor achieved this, so he resorts to an argument, a point of view which he can hide behind and sound like he's some kind of authority on the subject. Worse yet, the publication he works for collects money from people to listen to his unqualified opinions.

Travis, Jay and Everyone,

The only thing that can come out of my mouth at the present is....BLOWN AWAY.....! Hands down the cleanest, clearest, most delicate recording that I have ever listened to. As an OLD Sax Player, listening to Sonny Rollins work the REED, was just pure magic. He was complimented by Tommy Flannagan (Piano), Doug Watkins (Bass) and Max Roach (Drums) which made for a pretty great ensamble, to listen to. The clarity, with absolutely NO Hiss was a pure pleasure. I have been going through my tape collection for the last three days, comparing different recordings to the Tape Project's and I can assure you that I have nothing close to the quality of the Tape Project's Master recordings. While they may seem to be expensive, the quality of the recording, knowing exactly how it was done and the total quality of the packaging, brings them more inline with the cost of other so called "Master" recordings and with these you know exactly what you are getting. After listening to them on a decent machine, the quality of what you are getting, will become very obvious.

Travis, I will get these back to you in tomorrow's mail and all I can say is....You have sold me on these tapes and I can not thank you enough for being so generous.

W.C.

That's kinda what I was expecting to hear from you after you heard these tapes!!! When I heard them for the first time I was a little speechless to say the least!!!

Jay