Surrounds or Bookshelves for side and rear surrounds?

TheKillerTomato

I've searched for this topic, and read that most would recommend the surrounds (RS-52/62) as the side surrounds for movies, and a bookshelf (RB-51/61) for primarily music. Is that still the prevailing logic?

In addition, would a surround or bookshelf work better for rear surrounds?

Right now, I am using some extremely cheap Pioneer speakers for surrounds and rears, and I'm looking to upgrade, since I recently went with the RF-82 mains and RC-62 center (which I love), to go with my Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV.

Also, my setup is strange, due to house design, in that my side surrounds are slightly behind the listening position, and are about 10 ft off the floor (as are the rears). With my particular setup, even though I'm primarily a movies guy, but want to start listening to some multi channel audio, I don't know if the wide dispersion technology in the RS line would work real well. Please take a look at the pics below of my setup and give me your recommendations as to whether to go with the RS or RB line for my surrounds and rears. Room dimensions are approx. 20 x 20.

This forum is terrific, I thank you all in advance.

View of sides and rears from the front

Another view

I have the RS-42's for surrounds on a 5.1 system and they soundgreat. My setup is similair to yours although yours is more wide open. The RS models a great for dispersing sound. Ideally they should be to the side of the listening position (the so called null-zone).They also are very forgiving for placement but if you place them exactly were you current surrounds are you will be fine. I think that RB's will be the best for rears in a 6.1 or 7.1 system.

BTW - I would toe-in you fronts towards the center to create a better "sweet spot". You should also use teh pivot on teh RC-62 to angle it towards teh listening position. I did the same and I feel it makes a bitt difference, especially in an open room.

I hope this helps. And nice house!

I use KSF-S5's, but only have a 5.1 system, either should work out in a 7.1 set-up. As for mounts, I've used OmniMounts for years without problems, go with the better quality "ball-mount" style and you have almost infinite side to side and up/down adjustment possibilities.

Best of luck!

ARGGGGHHH - MY EYES MY EYES!!! or rather MY EARS MY EARS!!! aaarrggghghhgghg

ok, that was fun, general advice (conplies with THX) is dipolar on the side walls, monopole (bookshelf) in the rear.

Given that, would it be possible to put a RS style on the pillar where the gong resides and opposite it next to the window frame? These DO NOT need to be 'aimed' towards you, they give a diffuse sound field. Can you then place two RB's above the wall opening in the back? These could be angled down slightly. RB61 does not have the port in the back and would be best for this location.

ARGGGGHHH - MY EYES MY EYES!!! or rather MY EARS MY EARS!!! aaarrggghghhgghg

ok, that was fun, general advice (conplies with THX) is dipolar on the side walls, monopole (bookshelf) in the rear.

Given that, would it be possible to put a RS style on the pillar where the gong resides and opposite it next to the window frame? These DO NOT need to be 'aimed' towards you, they give a diffuse sound field. Can you then place two RB's above the wall opening in the back? These could be angled down slightly. RB61 does not have the port in the back and would be best for this location.

I know it's not perfect, but I have to work with the house! To the untrained ear, such as my own, it doesn't sound that bad.

As to the pillar, my wife prefers symmetry, and that dang window on the opposite side requires the surrounds to be pushed back that far. I'll make another run at her, but they would still need to be hung high so folks don't bump their heads walking by.

By placing the RB's above the wall opening in the back, do you mean right where the current speakers are?

And, as for aiming, I do need to aim the RS's down, right?

RS42 cut it, or do you recommend the 52 because of the volume?

Thanks for your responses - I've been waiting for ya!

Ask your wife how many people have hit their head on the damn GONG! Put the speaker right there.

There is no 'aiming' a RS speaker- just let it do it's thing. Besides, which side are you going to 'aim'?

Yes put the rear surround about where the others are, but closer together. THX specifies that they be right together. Think of it as 6 or 7 channel mono rear center surround. If a plane flies directly overhead from front to rear, the sound shouldn't 'split off' as it goes to the rear speakers, right?

Ask your wife how many people have hit their head on the damn GONG! Put the speaker right there.

There is no 'aiming' a RS speaker- just let it do it's thing. Besides, which side are you going to 'aim'?

Yes put the rear surround about where the others are, but closer together. THX specifies that they be right together. Think of it as 6 or 7 channel mono rear center surround. If a plane flies directly overhead from front to rear, the sound shouldn't 'split off' as it goes to the rear speakers, right?

I was trying to confirm that I should aim the RS down. Also, I'm working on the "gong" getting moved, and lowering and placing the opposite speaker closer to the trim around the windows.

Why does THX recommend that rears be placed together? If so, why have two channels for the rears, instead of just one?

The RS-42 probably wouldn't cut it for that much space, would it?

I know you hate my setup, but I have a room above the garage that I plan to convert once the kids get a little older and the funds begin to grow. Then your ears won't hurt as much when looking at my pictures.