Heresy II project

rcarlton

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow I am speachless, awesome veneering work, it doesnt get any better than this. Someday if I find me some heresys cabinets I am going to reveneer them in sapele, it will be my first veneering project so I am going to bookmark this thread. Once again hats off to you rcariton what a great rewarding project.

I have learned some good lessons refinishing these speakers. A couple of issues came up after they were finished. Easily repaired.

1. Got a book on veneering that suggested you wait a week or more before applying an oil finish. The oil can soak through the thin veneer and react with the glue. I waited only a day or two[:(].
  2. If/when you get bubbles in the veneer, don't despair, use a hair dryer and your finger or roller to flatten them down. The heat from the hair dryer reactivates the glue. Big bubbles can also be flattened with the same method, but to get the gases out make a cut with your knife with the grain.

• 3 weeks later...

I have learned some good lessons refinishing these speakers. A couple of issues came up after they were finished. Easily repaired.

Got a book on veneering that suggested you wait a week or more before applying an oil finish. The oil can soak through the thin veneer and react with the glue. I waited only a day or two[:(].

If/when you get bubbles in the veneer, don't despair, use a hair dryer and your finger or roller to flatten them down. The heat from the hair dryer reactivates the glue. Big bubbles can also be flattened with the same method, but to get the gases out make a cut with your knife with the grain.

I learned that lesson the hard way once. Fortunately, my bubbles were on the edgebanding and were pretty easy to fix.

Brilliant job on the Hereseys by the way. Bubinga was a beautiful choice. It seems to be becoming more popular lately, and with good cause.

• 3 months later...

I used to formica laminate.The non-flammable glue is water-based I suspect.(never used it) I know the flammable contact cement can be sprayed on dry with succesive coats.I wonder if this would prevent curling somewhat.A trim router with a small bearing bit would work well I suspect to trim the edges without leaving a mark on the veneer.One note on the flammable standard contact cement;if it is real humid or cold it will not stick well .I Glued up the face of a complete kitchen around midnight once( temp in the 70's), attached the formica (or tried) and found an hour later I could lift the formica right off which was surprising considering how strong the contact cement bond normally is.

• 2 months later...

Bob,

Your oak veneering looks absolutely top notch, too. Very nice. My own HIIs sit here in black lacquer, and will probably remain so, but it sure is tempting. I have a built from scratch set of cabinets in the works, so I will get to try some veneering of my own on them.

Bruce

Thanks ! you mention cabinets, I have been thinking about building a set of Cornwall clones, I saw the post by Bob Crites about building a speaker test box.

Then found the Cornscala project located under updates and modifications page 3

Man this looks like a sweet project, absolutley beautiful.

bob

• 1 year later...