Who needs a fancy schmancy CD player?

kev313

Wasn't this topic discussed already over a years ago or so? I have a faint memory of one of our very own board members who threw the idea of a PS1 as a Hi-FI component at us to much skepticism.

Interestingly enough, it has. After I read your post I did a search and apparently there has been a little noise including one forum member who used to praise its performance in an Eico system but has now, apparently, changed his mind based on recent comments.

Anyway...I plunked down a hard earned less than $20.00 and will give it a shot. Maye we are "just fooling ourselves"?[;)]

• 8 months later...

Many years ago I owned a PS1 and did try it for music playback. It was no match for my Denon 3000 DVD player of the day which, in turn, was no match for the Marantz CD6000 I got sometime later.

Interestingly though. I once heard a PS2 that had some mods done to it that outplayed anything else I ever heard digitally speaking.

I do not know what the mods were exactly but it had something to do with using the DAC to do the error correction by cutting some connections.

The guy that did it suddenly stopped talking about it and rumour has it he was paid off bigtime by Sony who were pushing SACD as the be all and end all of sound at the time.

Many years ago I owned a PS1 and did try it for music playback. It was no match for my Denon 3000 DVD player of the day which, in turn, was no match for the Marantz CD6000 I got sometime later.

Interestingly though. I once heard a PS2 that had some mods done to it that outplayed anything else I ever heard digitally speaking.

I do not know what the mods were exactly but it had something to do with using the DAC to do the error correction by cutting some connections.

The guy that did it suddenly stopped talking about it and rumour has it he was paid off bigtime by Sony who were pushing SACD as the be all and end all of sound at the time.

Do you still have your Marantz CD6000. That's the same unit Heart used as a platform to mod for their tubed CDP. It has an impressive build quality. Heavier and more substantial than the CD4000 used by AH!