LaScalas as control room monitors

jim-analog

I have installed eye-bolts and flown La Scalas from the overhead before, so hanging them isn't the main issue. As great as they sound, they aren't designed to be a near-field monitor. If you intend to use them as a high output demo to customers, or just to have a great speaker to crank up, fine. A true studio monitor that the engineer uses to make all of the important sonic decisions of a recording are supposed to be as flat as possible. Therefore what tones or EQ's you put in is exactly what you hear playing back. Referencing those decisions on other speakers is done next. I even burn a quick C.D. and check my mixes in a cheap boom box and several car stereos before the final mix is decided. Good luck!!

Jim:

Soundman is absolutely right. I also don't think having LaScalas in a control room is a good idea. I've been in a number of "control rooms" over the years and have yet to see LaScala speakers used in this manner. Every monitor I've ever seen is much smaller and specifically designed for that purpose. That's not to say it can't or shouldn't be done, but there are much better choices available.

Dave

This message has been edited by Dave in Nashville on 12-12-2001 at 10:02 PM

YOU DO NOT WANT TO FLY THE LA SCALA!

The cabinet is not built to fly. All the joints in the cabinet are butt-joints with a glue block on the inside of the joint. With a speaker that weights 123 lbs. flying them is just not safe.

I also think that the speaker, although great, is not a good studio monitor.

As a Singer / Musician I, too, would have to agree that the La Scala's would NOT be a good choice for control room monitors. They are not made for this purpose. And your idea to FLY them, is even worse because they need to me on the floor or in a corner to really get the bass...Which again does not go low enough to get a good recording/ playback demo.

I am a huge klipsch fan. Just the wrong application for these speakers.