Denon HDMI 1.3 receivers

damonrpayne

From Home Theater Blog:

http://www.hometheaterblog.com/

February 6, 2007

Follow Up: Denons HDMI 1.3 Receivers

DenonBack in November Audio DesignLine unveiled new window some of the first details surrounding (pun intended) Denons forthcoming A/V receivers with HDMI 1.3 support, we now have a few more tentative details about the new 08 series of receivers from Denon. It appears as if the receivers will be rolled out in two waves, the first wave in July will include the AVR-4308ci and AVR-3808ci with the AVR-1508, AVR-1708 and AVR-2808 following in September.

Again these are tentative details but should remain accurate baring any last minute launch snafus. The AVR-4308ci ($2,499) will sport four HDMI 1.3 inputs with two parallel HDMI outputs, support for internal Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD audio decoding over HDMI, auto lip-sync correction, 8-position Audyssey MultEQ, Ethernet & Wi-Fi capabilities for internet radio and presumably support for Windows Media PlaysForSure new window functionality. The 4308 will also support second zone component video output and digital to analog conversion for multi-zone applications.

The AVR-3808ci (also tentatively expected in July) will retail for $1,599 and features four HDMI 1.3 inputs, support for internal Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD audio decoding over HDMI, auto lip-sync correction, 6-position Audyssey MultEQ, Ethernet connectivity and again presumably support for Windows Media PlaysForSure. The 3808ci also supports digital to analog conversion for multi-zone applications. Both the AVR-4308ci and AVR-3808ci are said to have had their on-screen graphical interfaces redesigned as well.

The second wave of receivers in September will include the AVR-1508, AVR-1708 and AVR-2808 (no pricing as yet). The AVR-1508 AVR-1708 will support HDMI 1.3 but switching mode only, in a nutshell that means that they will support HDMI audio, Deep Color and 1080p pass-through but not internal Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD processing, although you can still achieve lossless audio from Blu-ray and HD DVD output as PCM from the players over HDMI.

The AVR-2808s HDMI 1.3 path is said to offer the same functionality as the AVR-4308ci and AVR-3808ci, i.e. internal Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD decoding as well as auto lip-sync correction. Good stuff indeed, I cant wait to get my hands on the AVR-3808ci.

I'll be happy to wait until the early birds pay for the initial releases and solve the issues,then I can score better for less.Having owned several 38xx models the thought of 1.5k for another is way out of line unless they improve the sound and power.