Phono pre for fisher 400?

hwatkins

Has anyone done this? I read 6moons review of the Fishers and he suggested this as an attractive alternative.

Any thoughts? - I have, over time, become less enamored with the phono stage on the Fisher (proves the point - listen for a while. What originally sounds clean may well be a reduction of frequency output). With the B&O MMC cartridges I use - the low side input on the 400 seemed great for the first 12 months - maybe it is just upgraditis.

My problem with a phono pre is that I would be running out of inputs on the 400 unless something goofy like using the existing phono input is workable.

Thanks in advance.

Try one of these I bet you quickly find the phono section in the 400 will wake right up if it is working properly.

http://www.kandkaudio.com/phonostage.html

Moving Coil Step-Up Kit

The problem of getting enough gain to use a moving coil phono cartridge with a preamplifier designed for moving magnet cartridge use without lots of noise is easily solved using a Lundahl LL9206 transformer. This kit provides two channels of transformer-based MC Step-up. The kit includes connectors, transformers, wire, hardware, and enclosure. The enclosure is a black powder coated diecast aluminum case that provides exceptional RF shielding. The wire used in the kit is the excellent 24 gauge single crystal silver wire made by Harmonic Technology. The RCA connectors are gold over silver over brass sourced from Sound Connections. You can set this unit up for 14, 20 or 26 dB of gain. The kit can also be supplied with the LL1678 transformer for 18, 24, or 30dB of gain.

Moving Coil Step-Up Kit:

$250

Optional Kimber Ultraplate RCA jacks add:

$25mc.phono.stepup.kit.med.jpg

So Craig - bear with me here.

First - the MMC designation is a bit misleading. It stands for Moving Micro-Cross. This is really a moving magnet variation and is designed for low impedence input.

That means (to me) that you would be suggesting the SE parallel feed. I also assume that I would need to add the power supply option based on the disclaimers. I don't think I would need the input transformer options. Am I on target with my thinking?

Also - the silliest of all questions. I am being a bit lazy here (not going to the specs of the phono stage on the 400 because of the time it takes to get through my thick noggin). Can I put this Pre in-line with the low impedence phono input on the reciever without causing some sort of chaotic collision of misdirected electrons?

Well I'm not too familar with MMC cartridge so maybe my recomendation is a bit off. Let me ask you a question or two. When using the 400's "Phono Low" input are you achieving the same or similar output as you do with the AUX input with a CD player or the built in FM section at the same position on the volume control? If it is different is it more the less and how much?

The device above is a simple step up transformer that will increase the signal from your cartidge by the above mentioned db's and does not require any poiwer source it is all done by the Lundahl LL9206 transformers. I finish assembled one for forum member Josh and tried it with my 2.2 mV MC cartridge and BBX and I thought it was great improvement set at the 10db configuration. I'm planning to purchase one myself.

Craig

My volume is noticably down on the Phono input - although not dramatic.

Will the step up work with a moving mass cartridge vs. a moving coil? if it is for either I may give it a shot - I could experiment ith the two phono inputs to see which is better sounding. It looks like it is a clean standalone and does not need to have the SE pre with it.

It will surely step up your signal which in turn will wake up the phone section of your 400. As far as how it will mate with your cartridge give Kevin an email at K & K and ask him. He will most likely need the internal impedance and output spec of your cartridge to advise you.