Up the Yammie scale

colterphoto1

I just got an opportunity to purchase a Yamaha 2600. My current receiver is the 2400 and it looks like many new features, including HDMI switching. Looking forward to getting the new baby hooked up and running.

This will be an ideal time for me to rewire the Bell-O rack- I'm currently using a plethora of semi-heavy-duty gold end interconnects down to probably 'just better than Radio Shack'. I have some made by Audio Technica I think, that seem very flexible with good connectors. Can anybody help with ideas for ECONOMICAL good grade interconnects? My source components aren't that great right now, but looking at upgrading my TV and DVD soon, with other components to follow (Yes I still have cassette and VHS hooked up, but rarely used)

Michael

I buy all my cables at bluejeans. They have Belden make them & they ship fast. The wire I got came wrapped in a protective sleeve & they bundled my interconnects which cleans up installation. Real good quality for reasonable pricing imo. I did just buy 3 10ft hdmi cables from monoprice. Cost was $39 with 2 day delivery. They work fine.

I just got an opportunity to purchase a Yamaha 2600. My current receiver is the 2400 and it looks like many new features, including HDMI switching. Looking forward to getting the new baby hooked up and running.

This will be an ideal time for me to rewire the Bell-O rack- I'm currently using a plethora of semi-heavy-duty gold end interconnects down to probably 'just better than Radio Shack'. I have some made by Audio Technica I think, that seem very flexible with good connectors. Can anybody help with ideas for ECONOMICAL good grade interconnects? My source components aren't that great right now, but looking at upgrading my TV and DVD soon, with other components to follow (Yes I still have cassette and VHS hooked up, but rarely used)

Michael

Cassette and VHS?!?! That's awesome.

I don't know about awesome, but sometimes having the right old movie or boot cassette is more important than the quality of the thing. I intend to use every input a receiver gives me, + it makes the rack very nice and full to have every shelf crammed full of goodies.

But I wonder how the Bell-O rack's glass shelves will take to the 40 lb Yammie and the 40 lb Crown DC300. They rate the 1/4" plate glass shelves at 50 pounds. I intend to test them fully!

I don't know about awesome, but sometimes having the right old movie or boot cassette is more important than the quality of the thing. I intend to use every input a receiver gives me, + it makes the rack very nice and full to have every shelf crammed full of goodies.

But I wonder how the Bell-O rack's glass shelves will take to the 40 lb Yammie and the 40 lb Crown DC300. They rate the 1/4" plate glass shelves at 50 pounds. I intend to test them fully!

Michael I would not even worry about it. I also have a Bell-O rack with four glass shelves, and they are very strong. Just be sure to put the heaviest items on the bottom shelf. Figure I had a 32'' CRT TV on mine and had no problems at all. That was easily 120 lbs.

I've had the 2400 on one shelf for years and checked the weight on the Crown 300 before setting it down- it has no cabinet or nice footies though, so had to be very gentle setting it down.

Do you guys think that I made a significant upgrade in receiver? I"m happy to have the HDMI switching, it does some upconverting, whatever that is, and I think the YPAO eq allows you to make changes after the autoset. Also I think I read that it has some bass eq but don't know if I need or trust that one.

M

The hdmi with the upconvert is key for non HD signals. With DirecTV only having about 20 or so HD channels, the rest look like crap on my new Panasonic plasma. I would guess this will become less of an issue as we get more and more HD channels, but for now it would be nice to upconvert all the non HD channels.

I'm going to go 'set-top' box DTV tuner, so that won't affect me except for right now, right? I"ve got to get more up to speed on all this video stuff. All I know is that my Canon PJ is 720i so it's at least at the lower end of HDTV.

It looks like the 2700 just has ipod features and enhancer for compressed music, junk like that. I think this 2600 has some very cool features. Plus they tamed down the DSP features so maybe they're more usable. I'll be interested to see what the new YPAO does as well as see if there is a 2ch+sub setting.

Michael,

Congrats............I hope this helps your system. Wish I'd know you were going to do this 6 months ago..............Oh well. Enjoy.

Honestly Michael- I have enjoyed using Radio Shack interconnects, and for the price difference between them and Circuit City it was
a no brainer.............

I'm going to go 'set-top' box DTV tuner, so that won't affect me except for right now, right? I"ve got to get more up to speed on all this video stuff. All I know is that my Canon PJ is 720i so it's at least at the lower end of HDTV.

It looks like the 2700 just has ipod features and enhancer for compressed music, junk like that. I think this 2600 has some very cool features. Plus they tamed down the DSP features so maybe they're more usable. I'll be interested to see what the new YPAO does as well as see if there is a 2ch+sub setting.

I think you should be able to run the DTV tuner through the receiver and upconvert all of the non hd channels. If you don't have an HD DTV tuner, you might want to call DTV and see what they will do for you. They might even be able to get you something for free. I find that if remind them how long I have been a customer, and maybe wine a little bit, they will usually give me what I am after. I was very disturbed to learn the other day that I am considered an "A" customer. I equated that to I give them too much of my money. However, I never hesitate to remind them of that when I am trying to get something out of them.

On my RX-V1400 2 channel stereo equals 2ch+sub, and direct stereo is 2 channel without sub. It's nice because you can "toggle" between these settings just by pressing the stereo button. I would think yours would be about the same. I haven't tried the YPAO yet.