Tube Buffers?

milton10

Well, I am looking for ideas to spruce up my CD player or get a new one. I ran across some raves about "tube buffers" that supposedly improve the sound quality of any CD player. I saw the Yaqin Tube buffer at this site and became interested:

http://www.pacificvalve.us/YaqinTB.html

Does anyone have any experience with such things? Are they worth it?

Thanks.

I have a Musical Fidelity X-10v3 tube buffer stage I use with my cd player. The buffer does not turn a SS system into a vintage tube sounding system let's be clear about that. But it can take a good cd player or SS preamp and give the sound a flavor of what tubes can do for a system. Some people try a buffer and hear no difference, some think it sounds worse, some think it is great.

If you want the classic tube sound and have enough money I would buy a tube preamp, tube amp, tube cd player.

If you don't have the money to buy a tube preamp, tube amp, tube cd player then a tube buffer may give you a small idea of how vacum tubes can sound in your system.

I have a Musical Fidelity X-10v3 tube buffer stage I use with my cd player. The buffer does not turn a SS system into a vintage tube sounding system let's be clear about that. But it can take a good cd player or SS preamp and give the sound a flavor of what tubes can do for a system. Some people try a buffer and hear no difference, some think it sounds worse, some think it is great.

If you want the classic tube sound and have enough money I would buy a tube preamp, tube amp, tube cd player.

If you don't have the money to buy a tube preamp, tube amp, tube cd player then a tube buffer may give you a small idea of how vacum tubes can sound in your system.

I already have a tube based system - my amplifier is a Sophia Electric Baby Amplifier. I was using a SlimDesigns Squeezebox as my front end, but switched back to a Denon CD player when the Squeezebox gave me erratic performance. The Denon is a so-so unit (DCM-340) but sounds fairly nice. Will the tube buffer help if I already have a tube system? By the way, I heard that most tube CD players are just regular CD players with a tube buffer built in. I don't know if there is any truth to that statement.

Milton

You can spruce up the sound of your CD by using your coax connection to an external DAC.

The level of DAC you wuld need depends on what type of D/A spec's your CD currently has.

There are some good low cost options.

As far as using a tube buffer....that will change the tone of your CD's, often for the better, and you would basiclly be doing to an external box, what tube CD sellers are doing with all in one units.

I don't know if tube cd players are just regular CD players with a tube buffer built in.

The only way to know for sure is try a tube buffer or buy a tube cd player just depends on how much money you have to spend.

I have wanted to buy the Ah! Tjoeb but I'm still struggling to get my bills in order. The Jolida is another great tube cd player.

Good luck with it!

Milton I have 2 tube buffers, and I find that with SS there is an improvement in the sound. With tubes I find less of an improvement, but the buffer in my opinion helps to calm down the digital effect of the CDP. It is just a matter of what you like, you will find people hear that say all it does is introduce noise into the system. While this may be true I can not hear it, might be just me.

Jay