6:1 receiver/amplifier

onemike

Hi!

My name is Michael and i´m in the market for a receiver or amplifier which has the capability to handle both Dolby digital-ex and Dts-es. Does anyone have something to recommend that goes well together with my all around Klipsch speakers?

Also, is it easier to find good surroundplacement with dipol surrounds such as the Ksp S6 rather than with a "frontspeaker" like the Klf 20? For example, can you have four Klf 20´s as surrounds in a 6:1 surround system? Also, does it work with two Ksp S6 and two Klf 20´s as surrounds in a 6:1 system? Looking forward to your tips and ideas! Mike

your fronts klf-20? presume u would have a c-7 for center? anyway, the 20s rear & 6s side would i think sound much better than f.e. 4-6s for both rears & sides. especially if for music u have a 5 (or more) channel stereo mode on your receiver. but for HT use also, the 20-6 combo would i think be ideal for all worlds. denon or marantz make great units for klipsch use & can have that stereo feature for music. depends a lot how u want to use it though.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

I have a Denon AVR5800. I use KLF30s for mains and a pair of KLF30s as my surrounds. I use a KSP-S6 as a center rear effects. I tried my KSP-S6s as surrounds for movies, but favored the KLF30 surrounds for both music AND movies. Since the surround channels are full range, why not use a full range speaker for this purpose? It sounds incredible to say the least. Email me, mark@colabear.com, if you have any questions.

------------------

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 denter

KLF-30 surrounds

KSP-S6 rear center

KSW200 subwoofer

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV-09

Pioneer Elite PD-F19

RCA DTC1000

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D-600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

Hi!

Thank you for your time and ideas. I didn´t say but I have Klf 20´s as fronts and i´m thinking about using them as surrounds. But how do I get the best use out of them. Should they face the wall behind me? It´s about 9 feet between the listening position and the back wall. If I place the 20´s as surrounds I would need bigger fronts so if you guys know of any good (big) other than the 30´s and the ksp 300/400 i would really like to hear your input. It doesn´t have to be new models. Thank you! Mike!

i have cornwalls for rears & find angling (or toeing) them in @ 45 degrees from the rear corners works best.

u may be actually looking for 7.1. if that's the case i'm sticking w/ my gut. get a 2nd pair of klf-20s for rears (they can be the same size as the mains like cbear has) & ksp-6 for surrounds. think that'd be a great sounding speaker set-up for both music & HT. & get something like a denon or marantz w/ the multi-channel stereo mode.

do a search for 6.1 or 7.1 in this section & you'll get loads of opinions biggrin.gif

The Denon 3801 will do if you have a limit on how much to spend.

ColaBear's set-up sounds like something that will work for you! biggrin.gif

------------------

My Home Theater:

'77 Klipschorn L&R

'75 Heresy center,modified with K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides

2 IW-150s rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

All speakers set to"large".

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,one in each corner(behind the Horns false walls)Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 12" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Horns & Heresy bi-wired using Monster XPHP for the bass.

Stinger Queen interconnects.

Hi!

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to give me some more info. I guess 7:1 surround gives you the opportunity to have two extra surrounds instead of just one centersurround, am I right? I´m a little bit curious about the 77´klipschhorn that steve said he had. What elements do they excist of and what did they cost you. Mike!

I've got a new pair of KSPS6's sitting here

beside me in the floor in the way.They are

next to an extra KSP300 and a couple KG5.5's

that I moved in here today.Those old DCM TimeFrames under the bed need to be moved too.Wish me and ColaBear could find someone to help get this stuff outta our way.

Onemike, if you want a very capable amplifier for Dolby 6.1 and DTS-es go and have a look at the Yamaha DSP-AX1. This amplifier beats everything it sounds also good with music. Sorry guys I'm biased do own a Yamaha DSP-A1 with the Klipsch Reference RF-3(front) RC-3(center) and RS-3(rear) speakers and a subwoofer from Pioneer. Play on this system U-571 and it will beat the living daylights out of you. So I can only dream what the DSP-AX1 will do. And also an advantage is that you can use other power amplifiers on the Yamaha.

I use fiber optic and monstercable as interconnects.

Hi everyone!

As I have my eyes set on the separates MCA 2 and 3 from Anthem. I like the idea of separates as I used to have a processor together with a 5 channel amplifier. It makes a whole lot of difference if you compare it to just one receiver.

I think that the Onkyo 989 is a little unnecessary to buy it as a processor although I´ve heard good things about that machine. I´ve been checking out the Yamaha processor but then in the shape of the DSP AX-2 which is new to the market. It has the capability of two surrounds in front that are supposed to be placed above your fronts. But I wonder if these channels can be used as surrounds in the back or at your left and right side from the listening position. Does anyone have any ideas about that? Mike!