Building my new Lascala cabinet's - Need final asembly tips for this weekend (Pls Read last post)

NJbob

Sorry .. I'm sure this is asked a lot but where did you get the plans to build the La Scala's?

I did a quick search and found a zip file on this thread. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/484316.aspx

I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss the latest and greatest version.

Thanks and apologize for a small thread high jack. Your work looks great.

Jacob

I'm using 9 layer (3/4")...I'll let you know how they sound, I should be done in about a week.The second cabinet shoudl be completed by tonight, then its sanding, staining, and the install. In the meantime I'm also recapping the x-over and will re-wire with better cable. My old ones are using that 18 guage white stuff...I'm pretty sure I will just use # 14 lamp cord or f I can get the monster xp cheap

Well the cabinets are together and are almost done being sanded. I treated one back panel with oil (Pre stain) and it looks nice, in the meantime I tried oil and then a coat of the walnut stain on a scrap...it seems the walnut stain realy shows wood imperfections. I thought the sample was well sanded?

Any sudgestions, before I attempt to stain or should I just oil

As always I apriciate the help

NJ Bob

What kind of stain are you using?

Testing on scrap is the best way to go.

Depending on the wood finish veener grade will dictate how dark you need to go.

For example...I have some black birch lascala's that look awesome.....they are black....but you can still see the grain very well.

I have somw RAW birch LaScala's that I would love to do in black birch with grain still showing.

Bob,

I just finished staining 2 pairs of Birch cabinets and one pair of Birch motorboards.. I tried Minwax, Olympic, Valspar, and Old Master. The Old Master Penetrating gave the best results of all the stains I used. It took to the Birch excellent. Smooth and even penetration and really brought out the grains. The gels and glaze stains ended up blotchy and uneven. You seem to already have your stain but I thought I'd let you know my results. The Old Master penetrating stain came out beautiful.

HarryO

I have minwax, and only tried it on a scrap...the problem i'm talking about is where I have imperfections (Man made) where I made mistakes, small glue spots, chips, ex, ex,,,,,I'm thinking a light stain is less ovious....The cabinets came out good but being a non profesional that just wings it, they are not 100%

Black Stain might be an idea. I'll buy a small can and try it on scraps...

The big weekend is comming I'll be ready to install my driver's in my new cabinets they came out better than I thought and cant wait to hear how they sound (going from broken down leaking plywood to tight as a drum birch). I'm looking for some final recomendations and tips.

1) Can someone confrim the spade size (#8 screw) on the AA x-over?

2) Rope caulk the midrange (Remember I do have the older drivers)

Anything else?

As always thanks for any help or sudgestions

Bob