ESS PS1220 Speakers

tom b. 57

I posted a few days ago requesting info. and feedback on these speakers. The results were helpful in making my decision in acquiring these speakers. I picked up the pair for $100.00. I think this is a pretty decent deal. They sound prety good. I have them incorporated in my bedroom system along with a pair of SF-1's powered by an old Marantz 2275. Pretty good match. In making this contact with the seller I have opened up a door to all kinds of ESS products. Seems the seller's uncle had passed away and left him a storage unit full of ESS, Yamaha, and ADS speakers and a plethera of raw speaker components of various makes. This is a good contact, for he has a couple of sets of ESS AMT1B's and will test them and give me first crack at them. I have always wanted a pair of the AMT1's. The Belles I posted about a few days ago I had to pass on. The seller would not budge from his $1,650.00 asking price. Oh well, my day will come.

Tom

Sounds like buried treasure to me...............a bunch of old vintage speakers.............I've owned ESS AMT's..............and if I remember correctly, the Yamaha NS-100's, I think that's what they were labled, were considered Top Shelf speakers in their day.............I have heard of ADS but never saw or heard them..................interesting find.......you just might have stumbled on to something...........Good Luck..............

I posted a few days ago requesting info. and feedback on these speakers. The results were helpful in making my decision in acquiring these speakers. I picked up the pair for $100.00. I think this is a pretty decent deal. They sound prety good. I have them incorporated in my bedroom system along with a pair of SF-1's powered by an old Marantz 2275. Pretty good match. In making this contact with the seller I have opened up a door to all kinds of ESS products. Seems the seller's uncle had passed away and left him a storage unit full of ESS, Yamaha, and ADS speakers and a plethera of raw speaker components of various makes. This is a good contact, for he has a couple of sets of ESS AMT1B's and will test them and give me first crack at them. I have always wanted a pair of the AMT1's. The Belles I posted about a few days ago I had to pass on. The seller would not budge from his $1,650.00 asking price. Oh well, my day will come.

Tom

Was that pair of ESS PS1220 speakers from Tacoma Craigslist?

I got my frankenspeakers bi-amped using a audio control PCA unit with 2-way active crossover. The AMT variant is hooked up to a vintage JVC AS-5 integrated solid state amp for hi-pass, and a Nikko NA-1050 integrated A/V amp for lo-pass to the woofer cabinets.

I have the center frequency set for 2 kHz on the active crossover, and may play with some different center values.

This AMT type dipole driver is a rather interesting driver to play with. Two weeks ago I couldn't tell what a ESS speaker was much less the Heil air motion transformer. Now I wanna hear a pair of AMT1's. A or B or whatever....

If you get a chance, you must hear an Air Motion Transformer........awesome clarity in the high's.....Heard a pair of JBL 100's with the tweeter removed, and replaced with an AMT........the mid range, and Bass were JBL speakers ...........awesome set of speakers........not saying they are better or worse than Klipsch, they were awesome..........should be heard if you can....................

Tom

Was that pair of ESS PS1220 speakers from Tacoma Craigslist?

I got my frankenspeakers bi-amped using a audio control PCA unit with 2-way active crossover. The AMT variant is hooked up to a vintage JVC AS-5 integrated solid state amp for hi-pass, and a Nikko NA-1050 integrated A/V amp for lo-pass to the woofer cabinets.

I have the center frequency set for 2 kHz on the active crossover, and may play with some different center values.

This AMT type dipole driver is a rather interesting driver to play with. Two weeks ago I couldn't tell what a ESS speaker was much less the Heil air motion transformer. Now I wanna hear a pair of AMT1's. A or B or whatever....

Yes the speakers were from the Seattle-Tacoma Craiqslist. I think the ad is still current. Shoot the seller an email. He is a good guy.