New Member!

jedinite6

Hello, everyone. Happy to be a member of this forum. I was hoping to get some advice on a system I wil be building here shortly. It will be a dedicated home theater, 12 ft long, 14.6 ft wide, with a 7 ft ceiling. The room will be totally light controlled, with medium to dark walls, and a black ceiling and black wall where 100" diagonal screen will be hanging. The projector being used will be a Sony VPL-VW50 Pearl projector, and the screen will be either a Stewart Firehawk SST, Carada Brilliant White, or Da Lite Cinema Vision. The seating will be 11ft back in Berkline 45004 group leather recliners (five of them), and the ceiling will be a drop ceiling courtesy of Acoustical Solutions. This room will be in the basement with no windows, and have a Dri-Core subfloor underneath Stainmaster carpet, and the walls wil be double drywalled, and perhaps decoupled from the wall studs using hat channel. My question is this; which Klipsch system will sound best in this spatially challenged setup? I want dialogue to sound clear and unmuffled at all sound levels, something that is subtle and that will rock when required, and form factor is really not an issue, I will work with whatever works. I will watch fifty per cent movies and thirty per cent concerts, and the other 20 per cent regular broadcast tv. Again, I qm not concerned with form factor, and neither is my wife (thank God), so whatver works is what I will get (either big towers or bookshelf). Please, if anyone can provide some direction, help or advice just let me know. Thanks, everyone and again I am proud to be a part of this forum.

Welcome aboard.

off the top of my head, it sounds like it will be very tight to fit 5 recliners in that space, and the screen size seems like overkill.

I've got a 52" LCD in a 14' x 15' room, sit ~ 9' back from it, and it is big enough - doubling it might be out of control, not that that is a bad thing. We've got a leather club chair and a leather sofa comfy for 3-4 adults in there, so maybe 5 recliners isn't such a push.

Where will the rest of the components be housed? (i.e., receiver or preamp/amp, DVD, CD, etc)? Think about building them into an alcove in the new wall, that way they won't take up floor space.

the next question is budget - you could go for the THX ultra 2 at the high end, a nice floorstanding option built around the RF series, or book shelf.

My thought is that in the space you have, THX ultra 2 is way too much. A mid-size floorstanding speaker system would likely fill that space at all acceptable sound levels.

Rear effects will be an issue with the seats 1' from the back wall - I think it would work out better to move the seating forward a bit, reduce the screen size, and give the rear speakers a little more breathing room...

And start considering some wall treatments to cut down on echo/reflections.

Thank you Sir!

All good suggestions. I have been playing with the idea of going 92" diagonal instead, and sitting 10 to ten a half feet back. And Imight just end up using four recliners, instead of five. And I was planning on building an alcove to house components. I am htinkin gof using a Denon 2807 or Denon 4306 receiver. Budget is not really a concern, however I would like to keep it under $4000 for the speakers.

I'd probably look thru the "Home Theater" section, and maybe post the necessary info there, and what kind of system is in the $4k range. If you haven't already been looking at models here, I'd check out a Klipsch dealer and find a 5.1 option and do some price checking. Good luck with your room and "sound" choice!

.........NP - D.A.D. - helpyourselfish..................................................

I like the idea of the Denon 4306 running RF-63 or 83 fronts. That gets you into the RC-64 Center channel, which is really where you should be for such a serious undertaking as you describe in this room.

Next consideration for me would be subwoofage. There was a DD-18 on here used in Texas for 2400 or less last week.

I just recommend you keep your sights high with all this talk about size not a factor, budget not a factor. There really is a difference between the 83/63/64 lineup and the lower ranks. Wondering what the higher models could do after you buy lower models is not a fun experience.

Keep us up to date on your thinking as your ideas evolve...

Welcome to the forum!

What kind of budget are you working on? The first thought that comes to my mind is the Ultra2 package with KL-650's all around for perfect timbre matching. They project a huge sound, yet come in a small package which would be condusive to your room. The Reference package is quite nice too.

Being that this is a dedicated room, I would highly recommend researching the option of acoustical treatment. If you're in the build stages now, then it can be implemented into the current design.

I would echo two suggestions above. 1) Don't put your seating so close to the rear wall. It will dramatically reduce the spatiality produced by whatever surround speakers you choose as those need to be at or behind a line drawn from the rearmost listening spot to the side walls. Also, reflections from the surrounds that strike the rear wall and then reach your ear will be too "early" after the arrival of direct sound from those surrounds muddying the sound. If you move the seating forward, a smaller screen will provide the same "included angle" for viewing and picture will benefit.

2) if your budget accommodates, get a system built around the RC-63 as it's a great center with the dialogue characteristics you said you prefer.

Thank you all for the great suggestions! I am thinking about flipping the room dimensions around, so that the room will be 12 ft wide, and 14.6 ft long to acomodate seating and spatiality for the surrounds. I stll like the idea of a 100" diagonal, but this setup will give me room in the back end behind the seating, probably around 3 and half feet. And yes I am all about big center channels, I recently read a great review on the RC-64, and I would like to audition the RC-63.

The 64 is a great center channel but for your room size the rc-62 would be plenty. Put the extra money into a nice amp to drive your mains. My old room was very similiar in size and the 62 will go beyond comfortable listening levels in a space that small. Be sure to look into some foam acoustical ceiling tiles for your ceiling and have them use extra rivets. My old ceiling was that height and Id get rattles from it and not to mention when I pushed the volume it would snow(ceiling tile dust) and I only have the rf-82 mains. The paint your putting on them will keep the dust down but you are going to have some acoustical nightmares with reflection considering the low ceiling giving you some early reflections. Dr. Who can explain all that to you. I can tell you the problems but he can tell you the whys and the solutions.

The point of using the RC-64 is not about maximum output. The RC-64 has awesome detail at any volume and its wide dynamics are a huge help at the soft end of the range.

Go with the RC-64.

I just finished watching Indy's THX 2 Optimizer DVD. It recommends a 40 degree viewing width for optimal viewing of a HD screen. Take the horizontal width of your screen / .728 = distance from screen to seating.

Another way to do the math is screen horizontal width x 1.37 = viewing distance.

My screen is 78" wide x 1.37 means I should sit 107" from the screen.

BobG is bang on about the seating position re the rear wall. For sound to envelop you correctly, you CANNOT be seated against the back wall. It is a very compromised position from a surround sound perspective.

Hi there, my Ht is 20x14 and I have a 96' Da-Lite Cinema Vision 1.3 gain. First off I would make the room deeper and less wide, better sound and also better to sit back a bit further. I just got my PJ Z-5 calibrated today and the matte white 1.0 would have been plenty of gain, I would suggest you don't need that bright a screen at that size, the guy had to crank my settings way down cause it was so bright. That screen size will be nice in that room..12' wide but you will have to watch what speakers you use, the 83's for example will be too big.

just my thoughts, Chris