Ports?

Iknownothing16

Hey guys I posted a question earlier concerning speakers that I was replacing the woofers in and was given several suggestions and thanks to some good help from people here and I decided to purchase a pair of JBL 2260Hs. The cabinet I have for them (they're in seperate cabinets) has approximately 8 to 9 ft cubed of space (9 more on the nine side without subtracting the volume of the horns). I was told that in order to tune my cabinet to 40 Hz I would need to 4 inch wide and 2 inch deep circular ports. The question I have is does it matter where the ports are? My original plan was to put them on the bottom on either side of the JBL but they will not fit there so I was wondering if I could place them on the top on either side of the tweeter or on the bottom on the side of the cabinet. Also, currently the cabinet only has one 3 inch port and I'm wondering if using the speaker will hurt the JBL in any way. Thanks.

You can place the port pretty much where it will physically fit. Yes you can put the port on the side. A single 4" port is going to be much less restrictive than the current single 3" port. You have to physically block off the existing port first before you can make a hole for the other.

Using the cabinet with the single 3" port.. no it will not hurt the driver, but you will be in the same boat as you were with the EV 15". Why do it? Wrong tuning is not going to help you at all, you will have the same lackluster bass, although the JBL has better specs for the box, the TUNING will be off. This is important to consider.

So with two ports that'll do it correct? Also, should I put dampening or filling in the cabinet and if so how much? The cabinet design on Parts Express said minimal filling but I'm not sure what that means exactly. There are vents on the back of the JBL driver that say "Do Not Block" so if I do put filling in how do I not block them? Thanks.

I'm not sure of the formula, but do not put the port near any side, you should have some distance....at least a couple of inches. Maybe somone can give the correct number...

Maintain at least one port diameter distance from any boundary inside the cabinet.