RF3 with HK avr 230?

Jennifer1

Hello guys....

it's been a while since I posted here...;) I've got a modest system but so far I've been very pleased.....but I found a good deal on a pair of RF3 but I'm wondering if my amp would be ok....I would move my RF-15 as rears. I don't have the money to change the amp so I would like to use it with these speakers...would my amp underpowering them?

jen

I'm just a girl in the world .................of Klipsh!!

harman Kardon AVR 230- RF-15- RW 12

Hi jen,

Here are my two cents.
I  have RF3's with a brand new (1 week old) HK 645, I briefly used a HK 435 as well and I have been very happy with both of them.
The Hk 445 and 645 have a little more power but your HK 230 is not that far behind and I think for a low budget system you will be very happy with your set up  and a pair of RF3's  
Just keep in mind the RF3's are weak when it comes to the Bass and no receiver can fix that.
Your Rw 12 sub should be good enough.

Hi Jen,

My 2 cents.

I think the RF-3's are some of the best valued Klipsch speakers dollar-for-dollar. I would disagree with the bass statement. I have alwayd found mine to have extremely good bass and very tight as well. It could be what I am driveing them with as well. Anyway I also have the RF-7's and I simply love my RF-3's. In fact I am setting up a 2 channel system now and I am going to use the RF-3's as my speakers unitl I can get some nice Belles.

I think you'll love them!

Enjoy,

Phil

If you run them as small and let the sub handle all of the bass it will sound great. When you get a receiver with more power you can try running the RF3s full range. I also disagree with the RF3S not handling bass well. When I had my RF3s as my mains they had great bass. Nice tight, solid bass. They are now the surround backs in 7.1 setup with a RF7 system. They sound fantastic on multi channel music, especially in THX music mode on SACD and DVDA.

Hi jen,

Just keep in mind the RF3's are weak when it comes to the Bass and no receiver can fix that.

I had to go back and double check to make sure I read this in the ht section.

For ht I agree with this, as there are very few floorstanders that can compete with the db a well placed sub will put out for movie soundtracks.

2 channel is a completely different animal.. The RF3's do a marvelous job at it, put a kick drum or some deep synthesized notes through them and they hammer with some big(ger) boys.

I used mine as mains until grabbing the 7's, and gave them surround detail. I have done head to head demo's with them and the 7's in 2 channel, and while they don't quite reach as deep or big as the 7's, they are very capable floorstanders.

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers here, I just want to see the RF3's get their just deserve.