Speaker cuts out

Peter Lelievre

I have a pair of heresy speakers about 20 years old and when i go to play a dvd with surround sound my left speaker doesn't work unless

i crank the volume up about halfway then the speaker plays fine after that at regular volume.

i've rewired the speaker with monster cables and changed the speaker over to a new amp (Mcintosh) 2105 and i have the same problem.

Is there something i have to change in the crossover network?

Thanks Peter L

The problem you describe is associated with a dirty or otherwise high-resistance connection. At low signal levels, the resistance is not overcome and the speaker doesn't play. But overcome that resistance with a high level signal and the speaker plays, even when you turn down the level. It happens in surround because less signal goes to the L and R speakers and more to the center speaker.

This mostly happens with dirty electical devices such as a volume or balance control or switch. Check for flaky input connection at the back side of the input connectors.

Peter Lelievre

ok, which one

a. there is a problem with one side...if you move the speaker wire from that problem speaker to another speaker...the newly connected speaker now has the problem.

b. there is a problem with one side...if you move the speaker wire from that problem speaker to another speaker...the original speaker with the problem, still has the problem.

The problem you describe is associated with a dirty or otherwise high-resistance connection. At low signal levels, the resistance is not overcome and the speaker doesn't play. But overcome that resistance with a high level signal and the speaker plays, even when you turn down the level. It happens in surround because less signal goes to the L and R speakers and more to the center speaker.

This mostly happens with dirty electical devices such as a volume or balance control or switch. Check for flaky input connection at the back side of the input connectors.

What Bob said --

I chased one of these for a couple of weeks off and on. It ended up being a connection in the back of the Amp - I finally resorted to a one connection at a time deep clean. I was prepared to open the back of the Heresy (mine was from 1980) if the issue had followed the speaker on multiple connections.

When I put these older speakers in my ceiling for sides I did open up the back and reworked every connection remembering the 'tail chasing' of the past problem.

I want to thank everyone for their input on my speaker problem.

I don't think it is cable or connection problems because i changed the wires and i changed amps and i still have

the problem.

And yes the problem stays with one speaker which makes me think it's a capacitor problem or something to do with the crossover.

I Just don't know enough about crossovers to try replacing crossovers or capacitors

Would it be worth my while to swap crossovers from one speaker to the other to narrow it down.

Thanks

Peter L