f113 - The Subwoofer not the Jet Fighter

Roc Rinaldi

.........as you may know I recently purchased a JL Audio f113 subwoofer. I have not been able to play it yet as I am waiting for my A/V Controller to arrive with the LFE connection. However, it looks great. I just can't tell you how it sounds yet.

Well since I can't play it, I was reviewing the owners manual and I have questions.

1. What is the purpose and the difference between the "Low-Pass Filter" & the "High-Pass Filter?"

2. Is the e.l.f. trim feature similar to the "Loudness" button on a stereo amp./receiver?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, you've got a lot to look forward to.

The low-pass filter or crossover allows material below the frequency you select to pass to the subwoofer to be reproduced.  You will likely be using the LFE output on your AV Receiver so this will be turned off.  JL included this feature for those who use the sub with a 2-channel system.  

The E.L.F. is not like the loudness feature on an amp.  It is designed to allow you to better tune the sub to your room, and or to your taste.  It increases of decrease the output below 25 hz.

now there there.

You know that everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.

You don't want to make me afraid to ask questions do you? That would be rude, and I know that you are not rude intentionally.

Look I followed your advice and got an f113. In fact I am contemplating getting a second f113. Does that make me doubly stupid?

Anyone with a non ancient reciever,pre/pro and most newer preamps can use one.All you need is a sub out or variable line level out.

My advice is 100% spot on in relation to the sound and built quality of the JL Audio line.Anyone seeking top quality and great performance should audition them.

No it makes nobody stupid,simply shows you need a component that is more up to date. And thank goodness they ditched high pass on all high end subs.

Raider is correct.

So...you cannot use a JL Audio sub! Its a crime,I would be shouting and kicking like a brat if I had to suffer like this. [:D]

EAR I owe you an apology. Somehow I misread your above quote and thought you were talking about how basic my questions were. That's why I made the comment that I made. Now I have re-read your words and realize that is not what you were talking about. So I'm sorry.

So Ear what is your suggestion on 2 x F113's in a room?

I'd be hard pressed to suggest 2 unless there are some placement challanges or the processor can be programmed with custom sub outputs (Parasound HALO, Meridian, Halcro, Lexicon any more out there?) say for both the front LCR and Surround channels that would be cool. But as far as raw SPL a single F113 should fill the bill.

Regards,

Mike

Mike,

I like to have dual subs as part of my reference audio 2 ch system. Dual f113's...ah oh so very musical and limitless in output. I am having myTenor OTL amps upgraded and am adding an Audio Research reference preamp...I will need at least twosubs and nothing below an f113. When its done,watch out reference quality all around.

You don't figure I will need a second one on the other side of the room to make the bass more non-directional? 24 x 22 x 7.3 room.

Two has got to sound better than one don't you agree? I guess the question is whether or not it would justify the cost of the additional f113.

I guess I will listen to the one (soon hopefully) and try and determine if I still think about adding the second one.

• 4 weeks later...

I started thinking if the little one is 3k or so then the biggie must be around 6k, boy was I wrong, lol. Someone here in Indy needs to buy one so I can at least see and hear it in person. I've been doing a little reading up on them and

WOW, what a sub.