Klipsch Heresy III - Worth it?

klipschguy101

I have been a fan of Klipsch since I was 14 when a local dealer ran a promo inviting anyone (even kids who couldn't afford them) to audition their favorite music. One play of Cheap Trick's "Dream Police" later and I was hooked. That was nearly 30 years ago, but I remember those Heresy's well.

Last week on an impulse I ordered a pair of the new Heresy III sight unseen, sound unheard. They are on backorder. Now, as I sit here pleasantly enjoying my Klipsch reference series bookshelves (RB-61s) I'm second guessing the purchase.

Anyone out there familiar enough with the Heresy's to advise whether they are that much better than the bookshelf reference series to justify another $1500K?

No worries: You will love your new Heresy IIIs. They are a huge improvement over the Is and IIs. I love mine.....

post-10177-13819325653442_thumb.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that the members of this thread are going to hate me, but....here goes. I just opened up my box of brand new Heresy IIIs, plugged them in and, gulp, I just don't like them. Compared to the reference series that they were supposed to replace, I'm disappointed. While they are certainly loud, they seem shrill, harsh and yes, colored. The bass is weak, and even when helped with a sub, seems to push out a single note for the bass kick in every song. The vocals are clear, but imaging and separation are hard to discern. They sound best to me when pushed hard, but how long can anyone enjoy concert levels?

After reading the nearly universal praise that these speakers were given in this forum, I feel a little like the little boy pointing out the Emperor's new clothes. What gives? Is it my amp (non-descript Yamaha receiver)? Is it my room (20 x 20 sunken den, carpeted but no curtains)? Or has my taste just changed over the 30 years since I first heard and fell in love Heresy's?

Please tell me that my childhood illusions should not be so easily shattered.

OK, you asked, now let me tell you my story...............I bought new H2's last year, never saw them, never heard them, just picked 'em and brought them home. Hooked them up with no sub, started playing them and I hated the sound, wanted to take them back, but didn't. Hooked up the sub, still didn't like them, but kept playing with them, slow but sure, I got them sounding better. Finally after a couple of months I got them right, and think the world of them. A month or so ago my buddy brought his NOSvavled Scott 299 over, hooked them up with NO sub, and those babies Rocked, plenty of bottom....they kicked ***...............Now in the mean time, he has purchased a set of new H3's, running the Scott, and those babies are SWEET. More bottom than the H2's, better overall response than the H2's...............it took time to get them right, and remember they aren't broken in yet, and Yamaha's tend to be alittle bright with them...........Give them time, or maybe you really don't just like them. I can't tell you what you hear, only my views on my speakers in my room..........Hope it works out for you

Here goes,

1) They need to break in. Interanl wires and -x-over parts are all brand new and can chnage even in a few hours.

2) I'm not sure which reciever you have (is it a new one or one from the 80's) in my opionion you need a nice PP 30 watt tube amp.(Especially if your reciever has a main out)

3) Give your ears time to adjust..

4) placement, Placement , Placement move them around.

How long you listen to them?? What kind of source...CD..player you got...I say give them a few days i cant imagine them not sounding good.All the guys cant be wrong on the sound almost all of them think they are best ones yet.I got my son some RB35s and they sound real good almost K-Horn good but the Heresys still have the sound i like. maybe you just need to listen to the Heresys alittle more.How long did you listen to them before you posted about them?Rick

I listened to the Heresy III's for the better part of two days. I tried placing them at different listening levels, on the floor, on stands, even in bookshelves. I tried them in different rooms, bedrooms, living rooms, even a patio. I tried them with two different amps (neither had tubes, both from the late 90s). Placement did matter. They sounded best when they could really cook, outside. They were similar, but for the most part, less desirable than the old reference series.

I really don't think it could be that I don't like the "Klipsch" sound, since I like my reference series so much. In fact, my whole house is filled with various smaller reference and a few synergy series as surround units. I have a pair of old vintage EPI 120s, which I have retired, but I think sound similar to these Heresy IIIs. I also have a pair of old DCM TimeFrame 1000s, which I may bring out of retirement as they seem to me far more accurate.

What else could I be missing? Is there really that much difference in amps? Can there really be something to this "break in" period?

If not, anyone in the market for two day old Heresy IIIs?

I didn't like the sound of mine on 12" stands, nor do I care for them on the floor with non risers.....right now they are on 6" stands, 8" off back wall, 32' from side walls...they sound good to me. I do use a sub with them ...... you can hear a difference right on the floor, but it's not the sound I was looking for. I guess we are all different and looking for a different sound...............Hope you find yours................

• Moderators

I must say I was a little surprised when I read your post, although I am not sure why.

Only one or two members of the Forum have heard this story before now. As most of you know dtel and I own several pairs of Forte IIs. During the Pilgramage to Hope in June 2006 we won a pair of brand new Cornwall IIIs. Having heard a pair of Cornwall III's during the Pilgramage we knew they were "good" speakers. Our Cornwalls were custom built and we picked them up in Hope approximately six weeks after the Pilgramage. Honestly, of all the speakers we auditioned in Hope, the HII's were our number one favortite.

I'm sure that the members of this thread are going to hate me, but....here goes. I just opened up my box of brand new Heresy IIIs, plugged them in and, gulp, I just don't like them. Compared to the reference series that they were supposed to replace, I'm disappointed. While they are certainly loud, they seem shrill, harsh and yes, colored. The bass is weak, and even when helped with a sub, seems to push out a single note for the bass kick in every song. The vocals are clear, but imaging and separation are hard to discern. They sound best to me when pushed hard, but how long can anyone enjoy concert levels?

Upon arriving home we immediately unpacked our new "babies" and plugged them into our receiver. Compared to the Forte IIs which had served 2 channel and surround duty until that moment, I was extremely disappointed. The Cornwall IIIs were certainly loud, they seemed "tight" which in your words could probably be described as somewhat shrill, harsh and colored. Unlike our Fortes which IMO are loose and kicking with well separated highs and mid ranges, as well as vocals that are clear. In other words, the vocals on the Fortes are clear and imaging and separation are easily distinguished. Clearly I couldn't understand why Fortes and Cornwall IIIs were so far apart when comparing cost, since the Cornwalls obviously were lacking compared to our beloved Fortes. Even though our Forte IIs were purchased used it still was a far stretch for me to comprehend someone spending approximately $3500.00 for Cornwall IIIs. I just didn't get it. And yes when pushed hard they sounded better. Needless to say, the Cornwalls got limited airtime, with our Fortes still "pulling the load".

After reading the nearly universal praise that these speakers were given in this forum, I feel a little like the little boy pointing out the Emperor's new clothes. What gives? Is it my amp (non-descript Yamaha receiver)? Is it my room (20 x 20 sunken den, carpeted but no curtains)? Or has my taste just changed over the 30 years since I first heard and fell in love Heresy's? Of course, we weren't comfortable repeating our impressions of the Cornwall IIIs in public. They were after all a generous and cherished gift from Klipsch. We thought, maybe it's the receiver or let's reposition the Cornwalls, how could we think these weren't awesome speakers. At the time our Yamaha RX V730 was serving surround and 2 channel duties with our all Forte setup. Our room is approximately 18 x 24, not carpeted and this room is completely open to our kitchen and dining area which is 16 x 30. Our love of Klipsch Heritage is relatively new, our love affair started about three years ago with our initial Synergy surround purchase.

Then a few things happened that changed my opinion dramatically. Another forum member gave us a Harmon Kardon 930 as a gift back in early December. Once the Cornwall IIIs were plugged into the HK I could even heard a dramatic difference. A "warming" of the Cornwalls was immediately noticed. The highs and mids were more "mellow" while imaging and separation seemed to suddenly "appear on the scene. The vocals also improved becoming much more "natural sounding". IMO, if you loved the Heresys then, you will love the Heresy IIIs even more.

Another thing, I have to agree with LarryC. IMO break in time is obviously crucial for these speakers. Some folks on here may not agree with that statement, however having owned a brand new, never been played before Cornwall IIIs and experimenting with different hookups and positioning has made me a believer.

The HK made a tremendous difference, as I have already stated and for that I would once again like to thank arfandbark.

However, with the Cornwall's receiving continuous 2 channel duty since the beginning of December I have begun to notice subtle changes in the Cornwalls. These changes are an improvement on the noticeable differences once the HK was serving 2 channel. In other words. while the HK drastically improved the quality of sound with the Cornwalls in all aspects, the break in period susbstantially increased those qualities. Again, some folks do not believe a "break in" period occurs. I for one would have to disagree with those folks.

If I am not mistaken our Cornwall III's and your Heresy IIIs are share quite a few of the same components in the Klipsch build process.

While I can say, I do love our Fortes, the Cornwalls have stolen the show. It sure feels good to be able to finally share this story with the Forum.

Please tell me that my childhood illusions should not be so easily shattered.

As everyone always says, "it's an addiction", sometimes one that is not easily satisfied. However, I honestly believe that with a few minor changes and not much capital outlay your childhood illusion is easily obtainable. I sure hope this helps.

As a matter of fact, I told Colter earlier today that I was going to start a new thread and put this story out there for everyone...but I think its purpose is better served here in this thread.

Two days break in... Man, you'll need 2 to 3 weeks! My new Heresys sounded awful when I first played them. Leave them switched on for several days if you can. Don't change your amp or anything like that, yet... After about 3 months, I could say my Heresys were broken in. During that period they just seemed to contnually improve. Once they've broken in a bit, you can consider a suitable amplifier. So hang in there...

DTELS Wife, I think Im lost on your take on the Heresy IIIs . Do you like them or no? As far as a break in period, I guess I'm skeptical. Are you breaking in the speaker or your ears. I ordered three IIIs (yet to be delivered) and for the money I am paying (without auditioning, purchasing based on my expierience with my Heresy IIs) I am going to run up to Richmond today to a place that has them in stock to form my own opinion.

• Moderators

DTELS Wife, I think Im lost on your take on the Heresy IIIs . Do you like them or no? As far as a break in period, I guess I'm skeptical. Are you breaking in the speaker or your ears. I ordered three IIIs (yet to be delivered) and for the money I am paying (without auditioning, purchasing based on my expierience with my Heresy IIs) I am going to run up to Richmond today to a place that has them in stock to form my own opinion.

"Honestly, of all the speakers we auditioned in Hope, the HII's were our number one favortite."

"If I am not mistaken our Cornwall III's and your Heresy IIIs are share quite a few of the same components in the Klipsch build process"

I am sorry if my opinion wasn't very clear. And.....thermalup I know you are skeptical, I have read all of your posts on the forum to date...not that I don't understand SOME of the skeptism.

However, I want it to be very clear to everyone that I now prefer the Cornwall III's. I still love our all Forte surround setup, but the Cornwall IIIs are clearly a cut above.

Thermalup, I hope you read my post in your thread....I didn't check to see if you responded before positing here.

Be sure the store in Richmond has provided the Heresys with a "fair listening" environment and bring along a couple of your CDs that you are familiar with already.

BTW, after twenty eighty years of living with an audio nut, that being dtel my ears are well broken in.

The Cornwall IIIs are have a very special place in our home, as well as our hearts. They are a gift of love and appreciation from Klipsch. I don't know of any other audio companies that treat their customers as well as Klipsch.

That being said, I can tell you again, IMO there is a break in period. The longer you play Klipsch speakers the better they sound.

• Moderators

Two days break in... Man, you'll need 2 to 3 weeks! My new Heresys sounded awful when I first played them. Leave them switched on for several days if you can. Don't change your amp or anything like that, yet... After about 3 months, I could say my Heresys were broken in. During that period they just seemed to contnually improve. Once they've broken in a bit, you can consider a suitable amplifier. So hang in there...

I was surprised when I went back and read your post edwin. This confirms what I said above. The HK was added in December, playing time for CIIIs increased dramatically at that time. We are now in March, as a matter of fact 3/9/07 will make three months since the HK was added on.

I was going to say everytime I listen to the CIIIs they better, but I thought you guys would think I was full of it.

Thermalup...you now have at least three forum members telling you there is a break in period, although as I said before, others man disagree. Also, remember a lot of folks on this Forum don't buy new. Speakers purchased used have already been broken in for your listening pleasure!

Just a thought on this. The first time I heard any Heresy's they were the II version, and they were at the home of a Klipsch owner from another forum in England. They sounded so wrong. They were being run with a Naim 62/140/hicap combination, and they sounded like a bad PA. My friend and myself are valve nuts, so we'd gone over to convert him. Nothing worse than a zealot of course :0
So anyway first up was a cheap as chips Chinese EL34 amp....now that's better, still a bit hard at the top when pushed. This chap likes his music loud. So we moved onto my friends Prima Luna KT88 amp. A lot better, and nearly all the hardness had gone. The best sound of the night though was my Manley Stingray in Triode mode. Beautiful. I bought some!

It's the quality of the first watt that counts. I'd try a different amp, preferably something with bottles in

So you've broken in the new Cornies eh Christy? Congratulations on that fine set of speakers. You know you are welcome to make sure the oak clear Forte II's are broken in since maybe Mac did not play them enough? You could always A/B them on the 2 channel set-up. Warmest regards, oldtimer.

Welcome to the forum, Klipschguy101!

I'm not trying to bash the Yamaha receiver, however, I'm in agreement with MDeneen that it is probably not a good match for your Heresy IIIs.

Tubes would certainly help, as lordsummit states, but it's fairly expensive compared to what I'm about to suggest.

I have Heresy IIs as well as Cornwall Is and when connected to certain receivers I found both types of speakers to be overly bright and lacking in bass.

Beg, borrow or buy a vintage SS receiver to try before you pass judgement on those HIIIs.

I'd suggest the Harman Kardon 730 (40 wpc) or 930 (45 wpc) and the Sansui 7070 (70 wpc) and 8080 (80 wpc).

I'd like to throw the Sansui 9090 (125 wpc) in also but I don't own one and therefore cannot vouch for that unit.

All these units were produced in the mid-late seventies. Manufacturing quality went downhill significantly for a lot of receivers in the early eighties.

Quite a few members on this forum own vintage Harman Kardons and they like them with Klipsch Heritage speakers.

Personally, I prefer the Sansui receivers for the extra power/headspace but that's just my opinion.

There is also the vintage Marantz option. There's some forum members that use Marantz with Klipsch.

Maybe they will chime in with their opinions.

If you can find one of the receivers I've mentioned try it out. I'm almost positive any of them will add bass and calm down that shrillness/harshness that your Yamaha is giving you. It worked for me!

Remember, it was 30 years ago that you listened to Klipsch Heritage. I wonder what they were using to power them back then?[;)]

There's my two cents worth....

Arf

P.S. Curtains will help also. Tack a couple blankets over the windows for a cheap experiment.