Klipsch Heresy III - Worth it?

klipschguy101

lordsumsmit, I hope I don't offend any Naim fans here, but these things sound bloody awful! Talking about solid state at it's worst - their CD players are another story...

And Christy, it's true what you say about the break in period. My (limited) understanding is that most speakers require a considerable bedding in period before they start performing to specification. This would vary from manufacturer. Just to put some perspective here, my Martin Logans sounded VERY ordinary for a couple of months. Now that I've had them for about 8 months, they sound very different to what they did when I first unboxed them. The most significant improvement is in the bass. This observation also applies to my Heresys...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'm not sure what happened. I was close to sending these things back to the internet supplier which sent them to me (ONECALL), despite all your raves. Real close. I had already picked out the flat screen to buy instead. Then, something happened.

After reading all the suggestions about hooking up the H3s to a different amp, I tried an older Yamaha receiver which always seemed "warmer", but almost "muddy" with most other speakers, so I had stopped using it. Glad I didn't discard it. That mattered. For the first time, I liked this new set of horns. And then, as I continued to listen over the next day, gradually, they seemed to get even better. Maybe there is something to this speakers getting "broken in" thing. Or maybe, my senses are just overwhelmed by my desire to want to like these things. I'm not sure anymore.

But I do know this: I'm not sending these back now. I love the idea that they are still handmade. I love that their style is not in style. I love that they are controversial. And I love that their "sound" is so identifiable they inspire people with passion to write about them at 10:35 p.m. on a Monday night to a group of likeminded strangers.

Thank you for all the advice.

Vive La Klipsch! May you continue to inspire.

Cool, you will hear improvements as you keep listening. After you put some decent hours up on them, the Heresy's will just open up. The first 2 to 3 weeks for me were the most crucial as far as I'm concerned. But I have to say my Heresys WERE awful for the first few hours.

But I do know this: I'm not sending these back now. I love the idea that they are still handmade. I love that their style is not in style. I love that they are controversial. And I love that their "sound" is so identifiable they inspire people with passion to write about them at 10:35 p.m. on a Monday night to a group of likeminded strangers.

There you go..sweet.

• Moderators

There you go..sweet.

I knew klipschguy 101 had "graduated". Heck, 101 I wrote my above post at 3:00 a.m., trying to convince you to keep those HIIIs. I am so glad you are beginning to see and hear what we all see and hear. The sound is wonderful. And...I am glad that you are so inspired that you came back and shared your passion with us.

Guess you don't want to swap, Huh ?................. If you can try Tubes with the H3's....You'll be happy in the end...It's not how one start's a race, it's how one finishes that race, that counts.......................Ever hear a set of Khorns? well don't, you'll be sorry.....................

• 3 months later...

How do the new H3 sound with mids & highs compared to it's bigger brothers (C3, La Scala II, and Khorn)? I'm on the fence trying to choose between the La Scala II and the more affordable H3, and I know I need a 3-way for better vocal reproduction. BTW, do the H3 tend to be much brighter and more forward compared the a recently-auditioned pair of RF83 I heard? My choice will be my first Klipsch and I want to make the right choice. Sadly, I can only hear the RF83 at a local dealer, and I wasn't impressed with them. To make a long story short, according to my predictions and room size, room configuration, etc., I think I might like the H3 and this thread caught my attention. Thanks, guys and girls!

Speaker break-in is for real. I even noticed it with a pair of H/K computer speakers. They improved over the month that I had them, but the computer that they came with was defective. I sent back the whole package and a new computer arrived with new speakers. Out of the box, the new pair sounded bright and annoying just like the first pair did initially, but soon broke in and started sounding, well, as good as small computer speakers sound.

How do the new H3 sound with mids & highs compared to it's bigger brothers (C3, La Scala II, and Khorn)? I'm on the fence trying to choose between the La Scala II and the more affordable H3, and I know I need a 3-way for better vocal reproduction. BTW, do the H3 tend to be much brighter and more forward compared the a recently-auditioned pair of RF83 I heard? My choice will be my first Klipsch and I want to make the right choice. Sadly, I can only hear the RF83 at a local dealer, and I wasn't impressed with them. To make a long story short, according to my predictions and room size, room configuration, etc., I think I might like the H3 and this thread caught my attention. Thanks, guys and girls!

I remember the RF-83 sounded better after about 2 months of good usage (100 db)

The H3 are the speakers if given the chance to do the thing again (between rf-83 and H3) But that factors in more than sound. I live in a dorm at college so space is a premium. I realized that the RF-83 in the corner need more space than Jubilee or even Khorns. That is because they can be flush with the corner while the 83 need 20 inches of space and 12 inches of clearance for the rear ports so you are around 8-12 inches further out then the other speakers. Also the Midrange is better but that is about all.

the chrysler crossfire was based on the original mercedes slk body..... Its amazing how chrysler was second class..... the 300 chrysler was the older chasis e class... basically leftovers....

the crossfire was the same when the new slk came in.... they even shared the engine!

We have a white crossfire convertable. On the window sticker something like 81% was built in Germany, which included the entire motor.

While I hate the car on a longer trip, it is awesome on a few hour drive! The navigation system is a joke. I'll pass where I'm going before I figure it out.

Nice speaker technician! The speakers are OK too!