What's coffee do you drink?

tommyboy

This morning it's a little "Hula Bean" from Kona, Hawaii; but when I can get it, some "Blue Mountain" direct from Jamaica (the "boss and I got hooked" on it when we were there for our wedding) and the everyday stand by is Community Coffee, whole bean and fresh ground for me!

I watched a documentary on Fair Trade coffee the other day and was suprised at what I heard. The major coffee retailers pay on average seven cents a pound from local farmers hand picked and hand sorted. This is from the best coffee farms in south america and mexico. The farmers families can barely eek out a meager existance at that rate. It is like this for any farmed or manufactured product that corporations want from south america and mexico. It is no wonder that they are coming to this country for work as corporations do not pay them enough for their work at home.

They brought a farmer from south america to a coffee shop in seatle and put a pound of coffee in his hands from his region could have been his beans. The first thing he did was shake his head and then broke out his calculator and made the comment that the taxes on the coffee were more than he and his families gets paid per pound of coffee.

Starbucks and Shipley Donuts are among the biggest supporters of Fair Trade coffee.

Buy Fair Trade Coffee and send more of the money directly to the farmers. I drink enough coffee to keep at least a villiage employeed LOL.....

http://www.transfairusa.org/

FWIW, Cooks and America's Test kitchen ranked Starbucks and Millstone as the best whole bean coffees in their taster's tests.

And for all those turned off by Starbuck's price, Costco has it for ~$18 for 2 pounds, or ~$9/pound...not too bad...

But, if the truth be told, we should all be drinking lots of green tea hot and iced (albeit with lemon!) [:D]