RF-7 , RF-83 or RF-63

rolo1965

I visited a dealer in Almere (The Netherlands) with the whole range of Klipsch Speakers and was impressed of the sound quality of the RF-63. I own a couple of thiel 1.5 speakers since 1995 and want to look for another (bigger and nice sounding) speaker. I also heard the RF-7 which sounded more refined then the RF-63. The new flagship of the reference line, the RF-83, sounded not that nice as the RF-7. The music we played was Smooth Jazz, like Brian Culbertson - Come on Up, Pat Metheny - Secret Story and vocal; Jennifer Warnes - The Hunter and Bocelli - Toscane. Two days later I had a visit in Tegelen to hear a couple speakers with the same music. The Phonar Credo and the new KEF 203 (MKII). Both didn't satisfy me. There was one new speaker The Phonar Veritas P5. This one was had the most beautiful soundstage and natural from the first note it beats the others that costs twice as much... But my first impression of the Klipsch was unforgetable, so I'm in love with Klipsch (sound?).There is only ONE thing. The room I auditioned the Klipsch was a very small area in a room ( 16m2) and was very very dry. It was filled with curtains and also much furniture. So my first question is how would they sound in a more spacious living (55m2 that's not very dry) In other forum posts I read about rf-7 vs. rf-83 that the rf-7 is more for home-theater and rf-63/83 more for 2 channel audio. I will ask my dealer the next month for a listening experience at home. But the second question is; Which one is the best for 2 channel audio, The old RF-7 or the new RF-63 or RF83. For me it's difficult to choose a direction so any comment can help... and excuses for the sometimes bad grammar.

Ron (The Netherlands)

rolo, welcome to the forum.

Its a hard thing to decide in the showroom, if you can get them to audition in your home you are much better off.

I own the 83's so can only comment on them. To me they are a phenominal speaker for both music and HT, I do alot of both...60% music/40% HT. The 83's are easily driven by a mid level amp where as I have read that the RF7 likes to have more power behind it. However, I just added a 200wpc x5 amp a week ago and the improvement in fidelity and overall sound especially the mids and bass control is staggering.

Really,only you can decide.I've owned 83's and 7's,both very good.I've become too used to the rf7 sound for anything else measure up.They certainly are not an HT only speaker,as they do music very well.The 83's were more forgiving with different gear,they sounded good with several units I tried em' with.The 7's really need good quality gear or they can sound bright,it's not the speaker but the sources,with the right combo it's smooth and sweet.I've owned several prepro/amp combos that worked well with 7's,only one avr that was decent.

I remember I can get a mint pair at 800 dollars the 7's in cherry. full authorized dealer and warantee

Can I get em'? I'll take em'.

Holy Moly what a deal.

Fish, if you do why don't you try Deans crossovers & compare? You won't be disappointed.

That would be great if I could compare but not be locked in.I've heard nothing but good things from many I trust here,including Dean,about the upgrade,but we all do have different rooms and preferences.The only reason I have not done Deans upgrade is I don't want to end up with a speaker that sounds more like the 83's and be stuck with em.I'm also very happy with the way my 7's sound in my room,nothing yet at twice the price has compared,and most had been rated very highly by many pro reviews.I drag others in about twice a year only to return em'.Still,sooner or later I will do or try the upgrade when I get the nerve.

I just got my first pair of "real" Klipsch speakers - a couple RF-7s in Cherry. (I've had a Promedia v.2-400 since '99 that still rocks, but I'm not counting computer speakers).

I must say, I was amazed at how good the RF-7s sound in my living room, and I'm running them with a crappy old Pioneer VSX-5000. I can't wait to upgrade to a nice pre/pro setup. I've been looking at the Outlaw Audio stuff, and I've seen it recommended on here. Has anyone tried them with RF-7s? These will be the beginning of a new home theater build, so I'll also be adding an RC-7 and surrounds. I haven't decided on RS-7 surrounds or some of the Reference IV surrounds.

I remember I can get a mint pair at 800 dollars the 7's in cherry. full authorized dealer and warantee

Holy Moly what a deal.

Fish, if you do why don't you try Deans crossovers & compare? You won't be disappointed.

The catch is they were demo no box, but they are in great condition last I checked.

Holy Moly what a deal.

The catch is they were demo no box, but they are in great condition last I checked.

btw does anyone want that pair?

Well anybody thanks for the answers until now,

It's nice to hear that both rf7 and rf83 wil satisfy listening. In Germany they reviewed both in different magazines and the winner there is the rf-7. But as you said it's hard to decide in the showroom. At first sight I go for the rf-83 because of it's small front size. IMO beatiful design But I will audition both.

About amping the klipsch I prefer my home made 'Hawk Audio' A18MKIII. Very stable amp. designed by the (in the Netherlands famous John van der Sluis) but any quality amplifier must be a good partner for klipsch because it's high sensitivity.

It's going to be subjective as they say, and personal taste for each people. For myself, I did listen to the RF-83 and the RF-7 before I bought my RF-7 speakers and I prefered the RF-7 better so that is why I bought RF-7 speakers, I got a ok deal on mine but not as good as Jay481985 mentioned!

I don't want to end up with a speaker that sounds more like the 83's and be stuck with em.I'm also very happy with the way my 7's sound .

I have to agree here on that, I love the way the RF-7 sounds "as is" and would never change the sound for myself. I too would be afraid to change the sound in any way, I'm very pleased the way Klipsch made the RF-7 sound, never want to change it for myself. I feel in love with the RF-7 sound! I'm very happy the way Klipsch made the RF-7 and never dream of changing it's sound. It works great with my gear. I never would change my Klipschorn sound either and I see here some like to tweak them too. The way Klipsch did it, is good enough for me! :)