AK-3 crossovers, sell separate or sell with refurbished Khorns?

greg928gts

Hi all, haven't been around here much lately, but I had a question.

My building business has been so slow that I'm going to re-veneer another pair of Khorns and sell them on ebay for big bucks! Well, I figure if plain old birch Khorns are selling for $3650, then imagine what Quarter-sawn Sapele will go for?! Or Rosewood?!

I have a pair of AK-3 crossovers from one of those Khorn upgrade kits that Klipsch was selling and I don't know if I should sell them separately or if I would get more from putting them into the refurbed Khorns. What do you think?

Greg

www.dcchomes.com/Audiopages.html

AK-3's are respectable crossovers.

Depending on your timelines would determine how you want to venture into re-veneering Khorns just to mark up the overhead....keep in mind...your seeing strange buying behavior from folks who are recieving tax refunds........too much longer in waiitng....and the barn door will close til next year.

On the othe extreme are primo khorns going for 1500 bucks....just bought a pair.

Greg, My wife has the crazy new idea that she wants a summer home in Maine. So how about I get you to build us a house up there and you throw in some Rosewood K-Horns for free, you can keep the crossovers, I will bring some DeanG's. Travis

That sounds like a good deal for both of us Travis. When are you coming up here?

Speakerfritz - I hear ya on the tax refund thing. I'm thinking of putting an auction up with the Khorns the way they are, all beaten up with a terrible DYI PO finish, and let the buyer choose which veneer and finish they want for a predetermined price.

arfz28 - I appreciate that, but an expert I'm not. Not yet anyway. I've had so much trouble with the last few jobs I did with bubbling veneer I can hardly call myself a journeyman at this. But I'm learning. I'm going to try a different type of veneer next time, not NBL and not raw, but something with a different backer and still use the iron-on method. Keeping my fingers crossed. Very disappointing to finish a job and two weeks later have bubbles show up all over the place, or the veneer shrinks back and shows hairline cracks, or the grain raises. This is all raw veneer stuff.

Greg

Travis, You may decide to move up there permantly and become wealthy. Have you ever read up on the DWI enforcement in Maine?

Gregg, Good to see you back even if due to an unpleasant reason. Hope you get a ton of work soon. Just building that rich Texas lawyers 23,000 sq ft summer cottage will keep you busy for a while.[:)]

• Moderators

Greg, My wife has the crazy new idea that she wants a summer home in Maine. So how about I get you to build us a house up there and you throw in some Rosewood K-Horns for free, you can keep the crossovers, I will bring some DeanG's. Travis

That sounds like a good deal for both of us Travis. When are you coming up here?

Not till June or July I'm afraid. I wish I could get up there sooner. I have a client with some land in Kennebunkport (Sp?) he wants me to take as part of a fee on a case. Are you close to there at all?

Travis

Meagain - I'll be doing another photoessay on these Khorns and I'll post here to get virtual pats on the back!

Thank you Arky. Just for everyone's information, those photoessays about the iron-on method of veneering are outdated. I really should put some notes at the tops of the pages. I've had lots of trouble with bubbling, but I think I have a new method and new glue that will work better.

Hey Rick - Yeah, all things considered though, I don't have much to complain about. Life's good, just a bit of a financial strain right now. But being the evil capitalist that I am, I'm taking advantage of ebay. I even have the wife selling CD's!

Travis - Nah, June is the right time. We always think we're going to get the boat in the water in May, but it always ends up being June before we really use it. Short season up here. Kennebunkport is about 2 hours from my shop, and that's about 1/2 hour longer than I'd care to travel. But you know how it is, money has a way of getting the crew's attention.

Greg