If its too loud, you're too old!

Trey Cannon

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't do WFO much, but sometimes we just can't help our selves. My hearing is great, I hear things that scare most, from soft to real soft. I rarely do 90 dB with my khorns, now I do get carried away in my HT room. For 55 years young, I may hear better than most. I am careful with my hearing. Love music too much to chance it.

We were definitely haven fun.

I don't normally subject myself to that loud of a range. Sure sounded great.

BTW, it's silver gray not white, blame the flash LOL[:P]

That SPL was taken 16 feet back, 123.9......ouch

First off, looking at those downloads, TREY your daughter is as cute as a lady-bug.......Lucky man.................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

123.9.............WOW, a little loud for me,but a short burst of that must be AWESOME.............Boy, those Khorns are fine-*** speakers or what? I know the Jubilee Boys will jump in but, those Khorns need to be in my basement room, like yesterday............123.9 ...ROCK ON..............

I know a guy who ran a pair of 15" adire tumults in 7,8 foot cabinets tuned to 16 Hz. A pair of 2500 watt Peaveys for each one. The subs were about ten feet apart. Measured with a term lab meter at 15 feet back he pulled of 125 db at 25 Hz.

I don't think folks are quite aware of how loud or how much pressure there is with a 25 Hz sine wave at 125 db.

Stupid loud......

That's sub frequencies.....music at 123 db seems just a little excessive. When does one's ears start distorting themselves?

I rode in a rig with six 15" subs built on a wall tuned to roughly 37 Hz.....even low frquencies will stab and pierce your ears at 135/140 db, especially when your 2 feet from the wall.....that rig clocked in 150 db with the term lab meter. Real impressive stupid loud.....

But the king of impressive SPL numbers is the F18 Tomcat...or a pair...

I trimmed grass on a AFB once. Was trimming 150 yards from the very back of the flight line once, and was caught off guard by a pair of Tomcats that casually taxied up side by side, and then took off together.

Wasn't wearing hearing protection that day. That was wanting to run for cover sick loud.......

I'm interested in the room treatments here. First, there is some on the windows between the khorns. I thought they wanted a flat wall around them. I'd like to understand why it's on the windows. Also, there are those big corner pieces on the sides of the TV. What is the point of those? Did you guys set up the room, and if so, I'm curious as to what the sound difference was between these pieces not being there vs. installed. Also, I'd like to know what these panels are and where they came from? Are they something pricier than say a foambymail type thing?

I like the solid black top hats.

Trey,

I'm very interested in the room treatments as well. Can you tell me if the treatments behind the speaker and in front of the window are for particular frequency ranges?

After reading the old Tractrix article that Gil posted I am much more aware now that the exponential horns project vertically heavily...which I didn't know before. I'm just wondering what frequencies those treatments are meant for.

Thanks for any info.

Uh, yeah. Personally, 100dB steady state with peaks of 110dB brings me close to the threshold of pain. The reading on that meter tells me I'd be in the fetal position. I'm pretty sure anyone who can enjoy sitting in front of that has some preexisting hearing damage.

Uh, yeah. Personally, 100dB steady state with peaks of 110dB brings me close to the threshold of pain. The reading on that meter tells me I'd be in the fetal position. I'm pretty sure anyone who can enjoy sitting in front of that has some preexisting hearing damage.

Depends on the x-overs? ;)

I think the cleaner the sound, the higher one can crank it? That it's deceiving? Or - Trey is messing with us.

The sound meter shows us it was loud, but I have always found percieved volume on systems with low distortion always seems lower than systems with great deal of distortion.

That's true, but 125dB sounds damned loud no matter how you slice it.