set question, differances between 300B, 2A3, 45

looking for a layman type response as to what differances one could expect to hear between these amps............example does 1 put out more bass, this one is clearer, better soundstage etc...

not looking for a flame war

Joe

I have owned them all as well as Mac MC30s, KT88 Push Pull, SS, Hybrid Tube.

I currently have Moondog 2A3s and DRD45s and am starting on building the new 45 Star Chief from Welborne. I still have the KT88 Push Pull also as a backround system upstairs. As you might guess, I prefer the 45 amp with 1.8 watts per channel above all of them. The 2A3 Moondogs are next. I will only tell you that the 45 amps bring singers into the room and provide the most intimate sound of any amplifier that I have heard. When Welborne came out with an upgraded 45 DRD amp, I immediately ordered one. I will be selling my DRD45 when I get the new one assembled.

I like to play with amplfiers and speakers. I also ordered a pair of SS Monarchy Monoblocks this week after reading a positive review from Mobile Homeless. I don't believe the Monarchy amps will displace any of my tube amps, but may decide to use them with movies. Also they are compact little devils and can operate one as a stereo amp to use outside in the summer- Anytime I hear a positive review from someone I trust, I usually order the gear, bring it in house and make up my own mind. Luckily I am able to afford to do this. - I roll a lot of equipment

So my answer to your original question is intimacy. SET amps bring instruments and vocals into your room. The 300B does this a little, the 2A3 does it a little more and the 45 amp does it the MOST! - Just make sure you have > 100db amps for 45s, and 2A3s -

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a bit wordy but perhaps you will find something of value in your search for answers:

I can only tell you what my Wright 2A3 do with my La Scalas:

They play as loud as I would ever care to hear - I listen at the 1 watt level which averages in the 90's and peaks in the 100's depending on the music

The 1 watt level corresponds to about 10:00 on the volume dial, anything past noon seems to overwhelm my room and my ears (too loud)

The primary quality is that the music space with SETS is three dimensional vs a flat plane (various SS amps)

The localisation of individual instruments is appearent, the "background" goes away (true acoustic ambient space around and between instruments)

The harmonic correctness of the instruments is dead on and truely convincing, voice, sax, violin, etc are scary correct

Bass sounds like bass instruments, not just bass sound - fast and authentic. Modern synth bass and sound effects bass not so hot, but I don't care for that

Midrange is extremely clear and high end transparent. Complicated music with lots of concurrent instruments (choral voices, massed orchestra, "thick" R&R) are portrayed effortlessly and without clouding or loss of the sense of the individual parts

Hearing a SET for the first time is something special - if you have a chance to audition one, take a minute before hand to collect your thoughts and open yourself for a revelation. The first time I heard SETs (mine), the "magic" feeling I had read about happened - they sounded like real musical instruments more than anything I had ever heard played back before.

I don't know about the 45 and 300B, but from what I have read, the 45 is more refined than the 2A3 but needs super efficientcy to come through at volume. The 300B are beefier and louder but lack some of the refinement of the 2A3, hence many like the 2A3 as a compromise of sound level and sound quality.

It is important to hear them - some will conclude that for their music preferences (kind of music, need for low modern bass, volume satisfaction) that the 2A3 my be inadequate (or may need a fast sub). Others will be delighted as I am and never listen to anything else for the rest of their life.

Hope this helps. To get an objective measure you will need to use a SQM like this...

post-16099-13819325756402_thumb.jpg

coytee funny you should mention the seotl i am posistioning myself to get a set of those (spoke with the man this morning) i have every intention of using them bridged as mono's (4 wpc) i did get a chance to hear them in a limited manner and was impressed to say the least (in the end i opted to buy my existing sun audio 2A3 pp monos) but now as funds are comming available again i am thinking i want the seotl's also and will use them in a 2nd system, after playing here at home with them switching between the suns and seotl's of course

Joe

They won't let you down, as long as you stay within their range. I LOVED them, just detested that I was "stuck" with only 4 watts of their sweetness. 4 wpc just don't cut my mustard when I want to step on the throttle.

Joe:

Enjoy your amps. I also really like the sound of single-ended triodes, and both the stereo and bridged SE OTLs were extremely good sounding. Like Kevin (Cut-Throat), we also have Moondogs, as well as a Moth Audio Si2A3. Marvelous amps, the both of them.

I didn't notice what speakers you're using, but if they are from the Heritage line, the lower order network options (available from a couple of forum guys) seem to work well. Compared to some other more powerful amps I have and have heard, the single-lung triodes don't, to me, seem to have quite the thwack in the low en (which is important for some). A good subwoofer takes care of that here. I had also used our Moondogs with regulated filaments on 300Bs, and they were spectacular with the more powerful tube, and the driver stage modified for better matching with the output stage.

Erik

I agree with you, Canyonman. I'm not sure what Joe is looking for. As a SET owner he must be aware of its qualities, and he's heard others, and several people have already told him in this thread the overall scheme of things.

WHAT IS IT YOU WANT, JOE?

Are you looking for advice on OTL?

what is it i want??????? i want the same thing you expect when you post a thread replys to that thread, i dont think its necessary for me to have to explain my entire listening experiance or explain my interest in a subject to people that obviously could care less about the subject, seems all you are trying to do is get a mouthing contest going as you have already stated you could care less about set......so if you wish to goad me into a verbal assault back and forth you are wasting your time i dont play like that behind the keyboard im much better at it face to face i have seen you in action on here b-4 and i have no need to play like that

Joe

Joe don't get defensive, that was just my opinion. That does not mean you must adhere to it, I was simply saying that I thought that, that was good advice. You do not have to agree with it, If you read my post very carefully you will see that I did not say anything about how to buy or listen. Just what I thought was good advice.

Jay

jay of course you are entitled to your opinion, i am also entitled to mine, i am also entitled to try to gain knowledge from other people with more experiance than myself.......(afterall i beleive that is why this forum exists) it is my opinion also that when it is suggested i not ask about others thoughts on the differances between amps, and instead i go find someone to let me listen, then people are attempting to suade me over to acting in a way they see as right

Joe

jay of course you are entitled to your opinion, i am also entitled to mine, i am also entitled to try to gain knowledge from other people with more experiance than myself.......(afterall i beleive that is why this forum exists) it is my opinion also that when it is suggested i not ask about others thoughts on the differances between amps, and instead i go find someone to let me listen, then people are attempting to suade me over to acting in a way they see as right

Joe

Joe, sure you are entitled to your opinion. I am in no way trying to stop or hinder you from gaining any and all knowledge you might aquire, by asking and or reading other members post. I think you just misunderstood my intention or took it out of context. I thought I was only trying to help you in your quest to gain the info you seek. At the same time for you to suggest that I am just adding my worthless two cents, well I think that was uncalled for.

It is statements like that, that makes me feel like I shouldn't bother sharing my expirences. For you to get all sarcastic about it was just uncalled for, in the future I shall be more carefull about what I say to you.

Jay

parrot.............go fish

jay i wasnt saying your 2 cents i meant that directed at the guy you agreed with, his only contribution was to tell me how i should conduct myself and i could care less how he thinks i should learn or buy for that matter

raptorman that is one hell of a system, cant imagine what that would cost where do you find yamamoto amps??????????? and are those egarhorns in the links to pics

Joe

Joe

Eharhorns Titans II-- very nice sounding. Just Google Yamamoto and it should take you to some info about them. There is a fellow from Michigan I believe who is a dealer of Yamamoto products. You can email Yamamoto San from Japan and see if you can get it from him directly. I think they are around 3K usd. new.

joesportster--

I take it all back. Based on the contents of your posts above, now I really do think you would be better off and would no doubt get a better result if you let other people tell you what different tubes sound like rather than for you to attempt to judge for yourself.

joesportster--

I take it all back. Based on the contents of your posts above, now I really do think you would be better off and would no doubt get a better result if you let other people tell you what different tubes sound like rather than for you to attempt to judge for yourself.

i find it interesting that you beleive your opinion really matters to me in the least, i take nothing back, your only contribution was one of ignorance, you have no idea what i may or may not have listened to in the past and you have no idea what my intentions were.............go fish (your no parrot, lame attempt at getting my goat)

Joe

doing pretty good i guess, spent the last 2 days dealing with doctors and hospitals, emergency rooms etc...(suffice to say a gall bladder attack hurts) at any rate i am looking ata set of seotl amps should pick them up this week.........they are regarded very highly, and i was able to demo them although not in my system

joe

doing pretty good i guess, spent the last 2 days dealing with doctors and hospitals, emergency rooms etc...(suffice to say a gall bladder attack hurts) at any rate i am looking ata set of seotl amps should pick them up this week.........they are regarded very highly, and i was able to demo them although not in my system

joe

Joe,

Congrats on the SE-OTL's and sorry to hear about the gall bladder attack (yeouch).

My guess is you will love their sound as long as you (obviously) keep the volume in their range. As an aside, in the event you DON'T like them and later consider selling them, I might ask that you keep me in mind. (not trying to be a vulture...well... ok, maybe I am [6])

I keep finding myself reminded how I liked their sound and a pang of intrigue as to how they'd sound powering that plug ugly K-402...

Hopefully you will post your thoughts on them, regardless of the outcome (although I'll bet you'll love them).