Installing surrounds...professionally

33klfan

I want to install klipsch ksf s5's on the rear wall. I read about the ideal setup is 2-3 ft above listening position, so i'll keep that in mind. My main concern is how big of hole to cut in the drywall. When i was working with a stereo installer he said something about using a box in the wall or boxing it out for rear surround. I am not sure what that meant, but i was hoping you would fill me in on how to get a nice clean installation at where the speakers hang. What wire gauge should i use for surrounds. Right now it's just cheap 18AWG for cheap speakers we had hooked up. I have them on speaker stands right now, where the other ones were, at ear level. I think it would be better to get them on the wall.

What he meant was to frame in the opening where the speaker is going. This would only apply if your speakers are "in-walls" since they don't have a cabinet, you would be creating one inside the wall. Because the KSF S5's are not "in-walls" this would not apply to you.

The smallest gauge speaker wire is usually a #14, maybe #16, but #18 is too small. Consider the length of your run also, obviously if it's a long run of wire you'll have to up-size your conductor, but #14 is probably all you would need.

Good luck!

If you use speaker mounting brackets, which seems logical, you'll only need to drill small holes in the drywall for the wall anchors to attach the speakers to the wall. The blue plastic anchors aren't strong enough to hold up speakers, but the expanding metal anchors are.

As for speaker wire, with the long runs usually seen in surround setups (I had to run over 60 feet to my most distant speaker), 12 gauge is appropriate. You can get 100-foot and 250-foot rolls of it at Home Depot for not much money. I wouldn't use that for my main speakers, but it's good enough for the surrounds and it's not bulky or obtrusive-looking.

Your installer was referring to the installation of a single gang electrical box in the wall behind each speaker. this makes for a very clean installation. The finished job would leave a plate on the wall behind each speaker like a light switch plate but with a pair of speaker wire binding posts instead of a switch. Clean but not truly necessary. a 1/4 to 1/2" hole is sufficient to pull the following wire sizes through the drywall.

Distance from speaker to amplifier/HT receiver

Gauge (AWG)

Less than 80 feet

80 to 200 feet

More than 200 feet