Klipsch bashing - why?

mizedog

I'm new to this forum and I AM a Klipsch fan and bought a few Synergy products 7 years ago.

Question: Why do I read so much Klipsch bashing on the internet-direct forums (yet most pro-reviews are positive)?

My situation:

I'm in the process of planning a new home theater (13'x18') and would love to have some new RF82s and a large center. But, due to the small room (and kids), I want a speaker I can put closer to the screen-wall. Unfortunately, the only front-ported Klipsch are the Synergies. While they're great for the money, I want Reference this time.

What I've read on those sites:

"Klipsch's are harsh due to the horns, build quality isn't up to the others."

I just demoed a pair of RF82s and thought they were warm yet clear - NOT harsh.

What I want from this forum:

Reassuance that Klipsch is the way to go and that I can put the rear-ported RF82s 8-10 inches from the wall and my old SS-1 surrounds will do ok with the RF'82s (I also have a SC--1 and a SW-12 but will only keep the sub). Also note: I'm a life-long musician who's played in churches to regular bar gigging all the way to opening for Offspring. I grew up on PA systems with big fat horns and loved my 6 foot tall bass amp (had two horns).

With respect, any thoughts? What can I do for my small room?

Thanks,

Kurt

I'm new to this forum and I AM a Klipsch fan and bought a few Synergy products 7 years ago. 

Question: Why do I read so much Klipsch bashing on the internet-direct forums (yet most pro-reviews are positive)? 

My situation: 

I'm in the process of planning a new home theater (13'x18') and would love to have some new RF82s and a large center.  But, due to the small room (and kids), I want a speaker I can put closer to the screen-wall.  Unfortunately, the only front-ported Klipsch are the Synergies.  While they're great for the money, I want Reference this time.

What I've read on those sites:

"Klipsch's are harsh due to the horns, build quality isn't up to the others."

I just demoed a pair of RF82s and thought they were warm yet clear - NOT harsh. 

What I want from this forum:

Reassuance that Klipsch is the way to go and that I can put the rear-ported RF82s 8-10 inches from the wall and my old SS-1 surrounds will do ok with the RF'82s (I also have a SC--1 and a SW-12 but will only keep the sub).  Also note: I'm a life-long musician who's played in churches to regular bar gigging all the way to opening for Offspring.  I grew up on PA systems with big fat horns and loved my 6 foot tall bass amp (had two horns).

With respect, any thoughts?  What can I do for my small room?

Thanks,

Kurt

I think alot of people are just repeating what they have heard or perhaps they have only heard high efficiency horns with high powered solid state and had their skin peeled off lol. Ok maybe that is a little extreme. You should get out and audition some good klipsch horn speakers and judge for yourself since you are a musician and already know what pa horns sound like I'm sure you will love them. If you don't get an answer here ask again in the Home Theater forum lots of home theater addicts in there : )

Hey Kurt, welcome to the forum.

For what it's worth, I hope you'll realize that you'll probably only get glowing reviews from all the klipsch fanatics on this forum - not exactly your best source of info (other than tons and tons of satisfied customers) [;)]

That said, you're probably more than aware of how crappy some of the old horns were in the past - where finesse was often sacrificed for SPL, efficiency, etc...You're probably also well aware of how subjective the audio industry is - and the brand loyalty is insane. All that to say, people are very quick to make opinions, even without hearing the actual product in question. We're all guilty of it, and I don't want to imply that it's an entirely bad thing either, but it's in light of all this craziness that horns have worked up a rather bad reputation...and perhaps rightfully so, as there is no shortage of crappy horns on the market. But then again, there's no shortage of crappy any topology on the market.

I suppose it's stating the obvious, but I would encourage everyone to heed the opinions and advice from only those that actually have experience with the products they're commenting on - and even better, seek out those that share similar listening habits and prefer the same genres of music.

Anyways, everyone is entitled to their opinion and the best thing to do is trust your own ears. Ok, enough rambling...

8-10 inches is more than enough space for the rear ports. You could probably get away with less, but I wouldn't recommend it. Just make sure you point the speakers at the listening position and try to keep as much sound off the side walls as possible.

And isn't the RC-62 front ported? and also the recommended match to your mains? Or is the issue on with the LR speakers?

I believe all of the bookshelf models are front ported so you might consider the idea of going with bookshelves and then investing in some extra subwoofage to compensate for the difference. I probably wouldn't recommend this route though unless you do mostly movie watching.

The internet forums, I am thinking especially of Audio Asylum, have a very wide variety of experience levels, personal biases, and sincerity levels. A few posters are shills for manufacturers. There are some very skilled and savvy folks on AA who also are on the Klipsch forum as well. If you want Klipsch info, this forum is the place. We are honest enough to give you (or anyone else) the straight poop on what works, and doesn't, with Klipsch products. Klipsch also has a talented and accessible staff like Colter, Trey, Roy and Amy who really help the customers and the "just curious" alike.

Some of the older generation of audio mag critics had issues with Paul and therefore his speakers got short shrift in the mags. The new generation of critics is 'discovering' Klipsch, especially Heritage, and is more open-minded.

Did I see this twice or am I seeing things? I just ignor the bashings and just keep enjoying the Klipsch sound! :)

You will be better off just ignoring the people who bash Klipsch, they don't know what they are talking about!

I own full Klipsch in the theater and a high end 2 channel Heritage system....and you will read me being critical of Klipsch at times.  Yet, I'd have no other for perhaps that very reason.  There are not many manufacturers who'll even provide communication pathways to end users let alone tolerate the good, the bad and the ugly they'll offer.  That says a lot about Klipsch and for Klipsch.  They are about quality and substance.  Anyway I don't have your answer cuz I don't know your answer.  But you can have confidence in whatever you learn here and in the outcomes you can expect form the advice offered here.  Enjoy!

Most of the people who bash Klipsch on internet forums have never actually heard them. Klipsch seems to be the favorite speaker to pick on by the internet fan boys for some reason. But rest assured Klipsch makes some of the finest products available at any price point.

It boils down to everyone has their favorite speakers, just like music, and cars, women, and drinks. Let 'em bash, it's good for people to dis-agree, I don't care what they say, when I listen to music, KLIPSCH is my choice.............bottom line, I don't care what others think............arrogant old fart............EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The rule of thumb on distance of a port to the nearest wall is half the diameter. thus, if the port is 3" across, it should not be closer than 1.5" to the wall. Now, there are other performance attributes that will be impacted by close proximity to the rear wall, but this is true of all speakers, klipsch or others, ported or sealed. Generally, you get more bass and less depth of soundfield as you place speakers closer to the wall behind them.

For an unbiased take on the sound of Klipsch, go to Perfect Vision. Check out their recent review of the RF-52 system. No harshness to be found. Lots of good characteristics.

Everything seems to get bashed on the internet. You may see so much Klipsch bashing because if they are set up wrong (wrong electronics) they can sound very harsh. But if they are set up with the right electronics, they are very detailed and dynamic and a greta value.

I bought KLF 30's 10 years ago and hated them. I had them set up with bad electronics and they were really harsh. If they had better electroncs I'm sue they would have sounded better.

Good luck to you.

People bashing Klipsch have no idea how to set up Klipsch speakers. Plus, they are morons. Ask if they like Martin Logans, if they say yes, then you know they are full of it. My Klipsch at home sound exactly like the larger Martin Logans. Oh, did I say they are Morons? 90% of them don't even know how to properly test speakers in a simple AB set up. Whatever you do, buy Klipsch and you will be happy. I wont go on as I could fill up a page on this issue.......