Stand by on or off

zuzu

I have all my components plugged into a Belkin power console as a power filter/surge suppressor including the 150 watt/channel power amp. All the plugs are switched so when I put the Belkin on stand by there is no power to any of my plugged in units. If I leave the Belkin powered up then my power amp can be set to stand by and stay slightly warmed up. Which is better for wear on the power amp [NAD C 272] ?

It depends on the equipment. I think SS amps can usually be powered off. Some people leave them on all the time though. Try it and find out.

My SS preamp only has a standby switch on the front. There is a real power switch on the back of the unit but off is actually standby. This keeps parts of the pre warmed up at all times. So it never gets turned off by design (unless there is a storm coming).

My CD player stays on all the time. It has a power switch and a standby switch. I have noticed that the soundstage cleans up after about 2-3 minutes of play when coming off of standby. From power up it take even more time. It shouldn't draw much current (never really checked it though) when nothing is playing so it is left on.

Tubes, off when not in use.

Experiment on your own and find out what works best.

This is scary....

"I have all my components plugged into a Belkin power console as a power filter/surge suppressor including the 150 watt/channel power amp. "

The above is OK

"All the plugs are switched so when I put the Belkin on stand by there is no power to any of my plugged in units. If I leave the Belkin powered up then my power amp can be set to stand by and stay slightly warmed up."

This is a problem.   The standby, powerdown, or off switches on surge protectors, voltage regulators, line conditioners, should not be used to power up and power down your equipment.  Doing so will shorten the life of yuor equipment due to by passing the "warming" and protection circuts that is builtin to the architecture of the componets you are using.

" Which is better for wear on the power amp [NAD C 272] ?"

Always use the pwer on, standby, and off switches on your componets.  Exception being if you expect severe thunder storms, then you should use the power down or stand by features in your AC power black box.

It depends on the equipment. I think SS amps can usually be powered off. Some people leave them on all the time though. Try it and find out.

Experiment on your own and find out what works best.

And if it blows up, you'll know for sure you did a bad thing. [;)]

And if it blows up, you'll know for sure you did a bad thing. [;)]

It didn't occur to me that he was suggesting using the power strip switch to control his system. I read it as a footnote on his rig. After re-reading a few times, I agree with the others. I was only referring to each components standby mode.