BlueJeans Cable Site - Driving me nuts.... Buying suggestions? And DIY

meagain

I want to re-wire most everything in my Stereo & A/V system even for peace of mind. First, I'm interested in Audio.

Craig and others tell me to try the BlueJeans interconnects. OK.... but which ones? I've read of Belden 89259 http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/shopbycable/89259.htm which is a coax something or other. I've read about this "Blue Wire" stuff which I think is Belden 9271 http://www.theater-technisch-lab.nl/cable.htm but don't see on BlueJeans site... Then the site itself has BJC-LC1, Belden 1505F, Belden 1694a, and god only knows what else. IDK what the capacitance/inductance deal is on all this and I'm not sure I want to know.... But can anyone suggest which way to go here? I want good cables, but also have my video stuff in the same area so I need to get the right shielding thing nailed down. Perhaps the shielding needs to be on the video stuff instead?

It's also a bit annoying that they don't really show pictures of their stuff. I'm thinking they look like the rubbery/plastic-ish radio shack types? Zebra cables look nice and have that fabric type covering. They look flexible. I'm willing to put connectors on the ends to make my own cable if need be.

If someone could point me in the right direction here, I'd appreciate it.

I have a number of the Blue Jeans Cables and like them a lot. I buy the LC-1 Low Capacitance Audio Cable with the red and white ends. These are not flashy cables, so if you are looking for aesthetics then you might want to look elsewhere. If you are looking for a quality cable for a very good value then this cable is a good choice.

Mike

• Moderators

Mike - Thanks!

DWI - Yes, the Zebras look nice. Would have to do a price comparison to the Bluejeans.

Oh lookie! DIY speaker cable idea... http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94203&highlight=belden Using the Canare stuff on the Blue Jeans site. This looks nice. Anyone have an issue with this? I'd have to cost it out.

It is about $10 more per cable to go with Zebra, I am not sure what the difference is on the shipping. I am glad you are doing all of this research for me because I am getting ready to order 4 or 5 sets of IC's based on what you figure out. But don't being going any DIY route, hommey don't play that.

Travis

Goot timing for this thread, after our get-together last weekend I'm feeling the need for some new interconnects also, but DIY is right up my alley, I already have the special stripper and crimper for coax cable plus strippers/crimpers for most other wires also. I'd be looking into things right now but I have to run off and get a 7yr old to bowling practice. [:|]

I agree with the others that Blue Jeans, etc. are quality cables, and just to add to the mix, I have been using both of these:

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KRY2.1M @ $10.49/meter for a low profile all copper cable and these, http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=eKs-R1 @ $39.99/meter for a silver plated copper coax style, both have worked well for me.

Best of luck!

If you really really want to see their balanced (xlr) cable i'll unhook one. The previous pics were extras just laying around.

That white jacket hides along baseboards pretty well & that techflex stuff helps the rat nest.

Arky - Thanks for the pics. I think we only have one xlr gadget (Behringer DEQ) and that's XLR to RCA. The white speaker cable doesn't look very flexy, but if tacked to the baseboard, I can see that looking ok. No matter what I end up doing, that Techflex stuff is SO going to be used!

The Zebra Cable interconnects have 2 types. One solid core that handles RFI interference and One stranded core that handles EMI. LOL Info here: http://www.jmkfilters.com/faq.htm I have to study up on this though on brief skim, have no clue what they're talking about. Right now, I question if all this shielding stuff screws up something and wondering if the shielding could be on the video type cables to prevent them from leaching to the audio instead of the other way around.

And, am I understanding right that low capacitance is the goal for choosing wire?

And, I ended up with some Audioquest Ruby and Audioquest Turquoise interconnects. These were bought in 1993 or so. Would anyone venture to guess how they compete with Zebra or BlueJeans? I wonder if just by virtue of them being 14 years old, they might be a bit inferior. The Ruby's look fairly beefy compared to the Turquoise.

And, short interconnects and long speakerwire is better than the other way around if one had to choose... Yes?

With a coax design, the shielding also provides the return path. I didn't like the sound from any of those designs that I've tried, they all sounded a little etched on the top end to me. Yeah I know, it sounds stupid. For interconnects, I like Kimber PBJ and the Cardas 300B microtwin. I use the Kimber 8TC for my speaker cables. All my driver wiring is with Supra.Classic 2.5. The marketing BS associated with all of these products nauseates me, but they're high quality products. I like the way Kimber gets the teflon dielectric around the wire, and the Cardas stuff will never oxidize because the wire is enamel coated litz. The Supra is tin plated, again -- won't oxidize.

I know very little about currently available cables. I have anti- cable speaker and interconnects and am VERY happy with them. They too are enamel coated. If there ever was a cable that looks like it won't work, these are them. Color red. They are not expensive. I would like comparison comments from those who have listened to them and other cables.

Zuzu - I have those on loan from nice Mr. Smilin. They kept coming lose from where we connected them so we bagged it for a while. I'm going to try those again tomorrow. They sure are physically unruly though. I'm glad you posted this info because I never quite figured out what brand, etc. these were.