Heresy IIIs Not for me

Thermalup

Well, seems I will not be waiting for those Heresy IIIs after all. I just returned from Richmond (110 miles from my place in Va. Beach). I went with the sole purpose of auditioning some Heresy IIIs and B&W and Klipsch Reference speakers. I hate to say it but the Heresys couldn't hold a candle to either. The Heresy sound was BRIGHT, harsh and had NO imaging at all. I was soooo disappointed. I have had Heresy IIs for 13 years and have always showed them off like a father would show off his child. I guess I never knew what I was missing. The Reference series even sounded better but then again the Reference imaging and mids were missing compared to the B&Ws. I am not syked about having to purchase a 5k a pair set of speakers compared to 1500 pair of Klipsch. But the sound I am looking for is more of what the high end speakers produce. So for those of you who want to bash me because I have posted this let the bashing begin. For the SERIOUS audio person, before you pull the trigger on the OLD Klipsch stuff because of some romantic notion, do yourself a favor, have a look around, I did and boy am I seriousley bummed. Now I have to spend way more than I wanted to but....you only live once and one of my joys in life is music. I can't go to see every artist I would like but to reproduce that sound in my home is precious to me. From Miles, Methany to Plant, from Mozart to Pink Floyd, I look forward to my "graduation".

In case you were wondering, The speakers were being played by the same pre-amp and amp during the audition. Mcintosh. I will answer any questions submitted if it will help you folks out.

PS I really hesitate to say this because I have found out how pasionate some of you are about "YOUR" speakers. I have been the same myself for years, but I have to say in addition to the sound, the craftmanship, no, rather the finish of the Heresy IIIs doesn't come close to my Heresy IIs. The speakers I demoed I think were a oak veneer that looked like mid grade wall paper. My Heresy IIs look like piece of REAL furniture made of Cherry.

I sincerely hope this post helps the folks who have had a seriousley difficult time finding information on the Heresy IIIs.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A LOT depends on how they were placed in the room, it makes all the difference in the world. It is no secret that Heresys are a little bass shy, that is why they are recomended with a sub most of the time. Whatever floats your boat but if you are looking at $5000 speakers, try some Cornwall IIIs, then answer back.

No bashing from me Therm. However, you would hope in a rational marketplace that $5000 sounds a lot better than $1500 since it is more than 3 times as much. I auditioned the Heresies A/B with Fortes back in 1989 and the Forte's were far superior, which you would also expect. Back then $5000 today would be around $2500, which would have also bought some serious speakers since Forte's were around $1400 in oak including tax. Here's hoping many happy hours listening for your future.

Just not everyones cup of tea Therma, as you can see by my signature I have a warm place in my heart and ears for both types of speakers (Direct Radiating and folded horn loads) and of course they are going to sound different but my B&W's don't hold a candle to the Heritage when it comes to sounding like your at the live venue!

Did you even consider the new Cornwall's since your now going to shell out 5 big? Last year in Hope Mark played the new K's, LaScalla's, Cornwall III's and the Heresy III's using the Cayin KT-88 intergrated and they sounded awesome so I'm not sold on your one day audition of the new Heresy's and when we toured the Heritage factory it sure looked like they were building Heresy's just like they always have so I miss your point on the build quality also[:o]

Maybe before you pull the trigger you can get yourself on board for the klipsch gathering coming up this summer in Indy and I bet you will meet at least 20 people who will help you see just what the new Heresy III is capable of[:D]

Whatever floats your boat but if you are looking at $5000 speakers, try some Cornwall IIIs, then answer back.

Phooey on that action!!!

Therm... I'm several hours from you (Knoxville, TN)

C'mon over & listen to the flagship before you plunk 5K on anything. For a bit more you can have something that will make you wet your drawers (and you can audition them first too)

Whatever floats your boat but if you are looking at $5000 speakers, try some Cornwall IIIs, then answer back.

Phooey on that action!!!

C'mon over & listen to the flagship before you plunk 5K on anything. For a bit more you can have something that will make you wet your drawers (and you can audition them first too)

What these guys said. Wow! If you're going to $5000... Let the battle begin. There's no way you can compare $1500 speakers with $5000 speakers from differing (or even the same manufacturer). You're talking some serious money now. I have auditioned soooooo many speakers and no matter how much I like and respect my current speakers, Martin Logan's flagship Summits, I have to say Klipsch's premium Heritage series really gives the ML's a run for their money in many aspects of sound reproduction. Initially I was very tempted by the B&W 802D, but the Summit had that soundstaging/imaging and the in room presence that the 802D's lacked. The only time I thought the B&W's rivalled the Summit's was when 802D's were driven by the most incredibly expensive amplification you could imagine - $30,000 Mark Levinson mono blocs. So at some stage you need to take a reality check. The beauty of Klipsch, and to a lessor extent, Martin Logan, is that you can use more realistically priced amplification to get the same result as B&W's. Driven by an Acoustic Research preamp and a preowned Proceed power amp, my Summit's soundstaging rivals even the mighty Klipscorn - and that's saying something. But I stll miss the amazing life like dynamics that the Klipschorn can provide. Just be careful of buying into a 'lifestyle' product like B&W and others. These speakers look great, they CAN sound really good, but like any 'mistress', these speakers can also be very high maintenance.

P.S. Check out some used Klipschorns. What about those new Cornwalls - never heard 'em myself, but heaps of people like them. If they don't catch your fancy, also check out some Maggies, or even some Martin Logan's. Have some fun... [:)]

Nothing to fret Arf, you're in LARGE company around these parts[;)] (Just in case Kaiser's standing out at your dumpster!)

I'd take Coytee up his offer if for nothing else to hear some more of that bright sound/low quality build[:|]

If I ever decide to git me some of dem dere "high end speakers" you'll be first in line for my "OLD Klipsch stuff", Kaiser!

Phooey on that action!!!

The only time I thought the B&W's rivalled the Summit's was when 802D's were driven by the most incredibly expensive amplification you could imagine - $30,000 Mark Levinson mono blocs.

Which ML amps were they? There is a pair of 33H's for sale locally. I would guess that you heard the 33's, the bigger brother.

Well, seems I will not be waiting for those Heresy IIIs after all. I just returned from Richmond (110 miles from my place in Va. Beach). I went with the sole purpose of auditioning some Heresy IIIs and B&W and Klipsch Reference speakers. I hate to say it but the Heresys couldn't hold a candle to either. The Heresy sound was BRIGHT, harsh and had NO imaging at all. I was soooo disappointed. I have had Heresy IIs for 13 years and have always showed them off like a father would show off his child. I guess I never knew what I was missing. The Reference series even sounded better but then again the Reference imaging and mids were missing compared to the B&Ws. I am not syked about having to purchase a 5k a pair set of speakers compared to 1500 pair of Klipsch. But the sound I am looking for is more of what the high end speakers produce. So for those of you who want to bash me because I have posted this let the bashing begin. For the SERIOUS audio person, before you pull the trigger on the OLD Klipsch stuff because of some romantic notion, do yourself a favor, have a look around, I did and boy am I seriousley bummed. Now I have to spend way more than I wanted to but....you only live once and one of my joys in life is music. I can't go to see every artist I would like but to reproduce that sound in my home is precious to me. From Miles, Methany to Plant, from Mozart to Pink Floyd, I look forward to my "graduation".

In case you were wondering, The speakers were being played by the same pre-amp and amp during the audition. Mcintosh. I will answer any questions submitted if it will help you folks out.

PS I really hesitate to say this because I have found out how pasionate some of you are about "YOUR" speakers. I have been the same myself for years, but I have to say in addition to the sound, the craftmanship, no, rather the finish of the Heresy IIIs doesn't come close to my Heresy IIs. The speakers I demoed I think were a oak veneer that looked like mid grade wall paper. My Heresy IIs look like piece of REAL furniture made of Cherry.

I sincerely hope this post helps the folks who have had a seriousley difficult time finding information on the Heresy IIIs.

Which B&W's are you getting? Great speakers. Be ready to spend some serious money on other related equipment. Lots and lots of it.

Phooey on that action!!!

The only time I thought the B&W's rivalled the Summit's was when 802D's were driven by the most incredibly expensive amplification you could imagine - $30,000 Mark Levinson mono blocs.

Which ML amps were they? There is a pair of 33H's for sale locally. I would guess that you heard the 33's, the bigger brother.

They're the 33's and they stand about my hip height - that's EACH monoboc. They are so heavy you have to use a trolley to move them. I heard my Summits on these as well. Awesome... In fact when I quoted $30,000, I meant in Australian dollars. These giant amplifers actually retailed in Australia for $90,000! They're still for sale if anyone's interested...

They look like these fella's...

post-15368-13819325883974_thumb.jpg