Heresy IIIs Not for me

Thermalup

YEA< I Know, the comparison is not fair....but, I have decided I wanna be as life like as I can afford when it comes to "My Toy". And frankley I have not decided to by the B&W 802s I forget the letter behind the 802. They're about 6k. Before I pull the trigger I am gonna spend the next few weeks looking at Revels, and others to try and find the quality of sound I heard in the B&Ws. Any Suggestions. There is so much out there one can become confused and frustrated in trying to find what is right for one's own taste. I will be retiring my Adcom Pre-amp and Amp along with my Heresy IIs to the computer room. I will be trying to find new speakers to compliment my Lexicon Amp and Rotel processor. If anyone feels my pain and has figured it out, let me know.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Everybody Likes Scotch Either................................EH !!!!!!!!!

THAT'S JUST ABOUT IT OB!!!!!! Come down to Virginia. I have 26 top shelf scotch's in my bar....I do not think you have given it a fair shake. Before you bash my scotch you just need a little one-on-one time with a Glen Marangie 18 year old[:D][;)]

I too am a B & W fan. However, I am also not going to compare apples and oranges. I think a better comparison would be perhaps the B & W DM series, which still sounds fantastic.

Fore home theater I enjoy the Klipsch horn. However for music I am finding that I enjoy the crisp highs that one gets from dome tweeters.

(My Out: I have not heard a heratige set-up yet) I'm hoping I will change my mind.

Now back to the important stuff. OB....You have got to get a nice single malt at room temp, nose it, taste it....arggggggg[:P]

Thermalup:

What reference series model did you listen to that sounded better than the heresy?
On what parameters did it sound better?
What music samples were you using in your evaluation?

Are you sure about the oak, HIII are not available in Oak.

Thanks for the additional info.

YEA< I Know, the comparison is not fair....but, I have decided I wanna be as life like as I can afford when it comes to "My Toy". And frankley I have not decided to by the B&W 802s I forget the letter behind the 802. They're about 6k. Before I pull the trigger I am gonna spend the next few weeks looking at Revels, and others to try and find the quality of sound I heard in the B&Ws. Any Suggestions. There is so much out there one can become confused and frustrated in trying to find what is right for one's own taste. I will be retiring my Adcom Pre-amp and Amp along with my Heresy IIs to the computer room. I will be trying to find new speakers to compliment my Lexicon Amp and Rotel processor. If anyone feels my pain and has figured it out, let me know.

You're moving down a path that I have travelled. I feel your pain! [;)]

If you're going to travel down this path, consider these options... either new or pre-owned:

1. BBC LS 3/5a

2. Klipsch La Scala

3. Harbeth Monitor 40

4. Klipschorn

5. Martin Logan Summit

6. Avantgarde Duo

7. B&W 802D

8. Dynaudio Special Twenty Five

9. Wilson Audio Sophia

10. ATC SCM 50

If it's going to be a purely floorstanding option, look at these in no particular order:

1. Klipschorn

2. La Scala/Belle

3. Martin Logan Summit

4. Martin Logan Vantage

5. Klipsch Cornwall III

6. Magnaplanar MG3.6R

7. Magnaplanar MG1.6QR

Re: the Revels... [+o(] Overpriced and ordinary sound for the money... You're better off with Sophia's.

Here's a link to my Top 10 List of speakers if you can be bothered to go through it. I've bumped it anyway: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/1/812808/ShowThread.aspx

I can't help but jump into the mix here. Thermalup, you are the same gent that had a voice to be heard a week ago or so, correct?

You either have mombo Kahoonas or damn, I don't know what...........

Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for someone who can speak their piece even in the midst of adversity, but damn. All the fuss about lead times, Klipsch sales representation, and now the III's are junk. Wow dude....................

All that asside, my 7's are goin nowhere...I have listened to some very pricey systems, and nothing does it for me like the RF 7's. I am just dissapointed their discontinued should I ever choose to grab another set 5 years from now or so.

Since you are demo-ing High end speakers Go listen to a pr of Magnepan 3.6's or 20.1's. They are differnt than anything you ever herd. Not better not worse. The best imaging you will ever hear. and in your price range. The only problem is you will need amp's and I mean amps, they can suck up 500 watts...but if your going all out you should here them. Great with SS amps and Tube preamps

Here is the spec sheet on the HIII...

As previously noted - no oak veneer. Thermal really looks like Clarence(again,) or someone of similar ilk and motive. Reminds me of one of those creatures that almost did Bilbo Baggins in, IYKWIM.

Heresy III Floorstanding Loudspeaker

Because of its relatively "compact" size, this model offers the greatest degree of placement flexibility in the Heritage Series line.

Features

A three-way design using horn-loaded Titanium diaphragm midrange and high frequency compression drivers.

Direct-radiating 12-inch woofer for powerful low frequencies.

99 dB sensitivity delivers Smooth, dynamic and low distortion sound

Compact form factor permits a wide range of placement flexibility

Available in a high-quality Cherry, Walnut or Black Ash wood veneer finish

I have decided I wanna be as life like as I can afford when it comes to "My Toy". And frankley I have not decided to by the B&W 802s I forget the letter behind the 802. They're about 6k. Before I pull the trigger I am gonna spend the next few weeks looking at Revels, and others to try and find the quality of sound I heard in the B&Ws. Any Suggestions. If anyone feels my pain and has figured it out, let me know.

Ok Dudeeeeee...

your price range is in the ballpark...you already like the older Klipsch "Heritage" sound. Once more and then I'll shut up. You owe it to yourself since you like your current Klipsch speakers, to perhaps listen to the pinnacle they have to offer for home use. Go to 2 channel & look up Bob's comments on the pair he just received http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/880982.aspx

Do a search on Jubilee and grab a cup of coffee & read.

Are they monsters? yes

Are they pretty? Depends on who you listen to. I happen to love the look of them.

Do they sound fantastic? utterly

Do they STEP all over a Khorn, LaScala, Belle, Cornwall and Heresy? absolutely (at least in my room they do)

You need to nab Phil Mays and you two need to jaunt over for a day's listening. Heck, I can even put you up for an evening if you want to. (might force you to walk my dogs in the field as 'payment'. Don't worry though, they only chew shoes [;)] )

It's a serious offer. There have been three pair now sold to people who had NEVER HEARD them. One pair to Washington State, another to Ohio and finally... (and how cool is this?) London, England!!! Ralph in London bought them solely on the reputation of the company and his knowledge of LaScalas/Khorns and their sound.

Mike & I cheated with ours... we had an audition. You are invited to give them a workout, what ever you want to listen to, how ever quiet or loud. If they don't impress the dickens out of you, then nothing will.

Feel free to PM me with phone number and I'd be happy to go into more details.

Beyond that, I wish you luck in your search, what ever it takes you to.

[Y]

THAT'S JUST ABOUT IT OB!!!!!! Come down to Virginia. I have 26 top shelf scotch's in my bar....I do not think you have given it a fair shake. Before you bash my scotch you just need a little one-on-one time with a Glen Marangie 18 year old[:D][;)]

I haven't had anything better than the 25 yo Macallan's, but have not tried the 18 yo Glen Marangie . Please let me know if you feel this is better than the Macallan's.

Mike

I really dont know what the "wood" or "paper" was supposed to look like, But whatever it was supposed to simulate it wasn't doing any wood I have ever seen justice. It was a light color like maple or white oak. It wsa seriousley like heavy duty wall paper that had a laquer applied. IMO cheesy.

Someone ask what Reference speaker model I demoed, I again dont know other than they were BIG. bout 5 feet high and 20 inches deep.. They sounded smooth, with a lot of base and highs but not alot of mids and absolutely NO imagery. If you won't big and loud, check them out.

I haven't had anything better than the 25 yo Macallan's, but have not tried the 18 yo Glen Marangie . Please let me know if you feel this is better than the Macallan's.

Mike

The 18 year old Glen Morangie is very smooth and flavorful, it's been a while since I've had it. At the level of these such as your 25 yr old they are all delightful to me and all different so you could not say one is better than another, but you may prefer one over the other.

You are looking at N802's. The new 802D cannot be touched for under $9K or so (list is $12,000). The N802's listed at $8,000 and $6,000 is a good deal if they are NOS and a bad deal if they are used.

Comparing N802's to Heresys is not fair. Its like comparing the K Horn to the Heresy.

I have N801's (essentially the same thing that you are looking at but with 15" woofers). If you think that the Heresys sounded harsh, the B&W's will be relentless with the wrong source or a lack of power, so make sure that you get all of the other components that these speakers require. Your Lexicon amp and Rotel processor are not going to cut it. Start looking at Mark Levinson, Krell, Classe, Bryston, McIntosh and higher end Musical Fidelity equipment. Figure on spending at least $10,000 on a new preamp and amps, if not more. You are going to need a lot of really clean power, like 500 + wpc. I am running 800 wpc at 4 ohms. Try to find an amp that doubles in power every time impedance is cut in half. You will also want to get a source to match. You may get the deal done for $18,000 to $20,000. Probably more. Your average system with these speakers is about $25,000. Oh yea, you will also want to add dedicated circuits in your listening room to supply your amps.

In any event, congrats on your pending purchase and let us know how it turns out! Your salesperson is going to love you when you are done.

You are looking at N802's. The new 802D cannot be touched for under $9K or so (list is $12,000). The N802's listed at $8,000 and $6,000 is a good deal if they are NOS and a bad deal if they are used.

Comparing N802's to Heresys is not fair. Its like comparing the K Horn to the Heresy.

I have N801's (essentially the same thing that you are looking at but with 15" woofers). If you think that the Heresys sounded harsh, the B&W's will be relentless with the wrong source or a lack of power, so make sure that you get all of the other components that these speakers require. Your Lexicon amp and Rotel processor are not going to cut it. Start looking at Mark Levinson, Krell, Classe, Bryston, McIntosh and higher end Musical Fidelity equipment. Figure on spending at least $10,000 on a new preamp and amps, if not more. You are going to need a lot of really clean power, like 500 + wpc. I am running 800 wpc at 4 ohms. Try to find an amp that doubles in power every time impedance is cut in half. You will also want to get a source to match. You may get the deal done for $18,000 to $20,000. Probably more. Your average system with these speakers is about $25,000. Oh yea, you will also want to add dedicated circuits in your listening room to supply your amps.

In any event, congrats on your pending purchase and let us know how it turns out! Your salesperson is going to love you when you are done.