Heresy IIIs Not for me

Thermalup

For those that have seen and/or have the H3's, are these finishes oil or lacquer? Therm's comment regarding the finish of what he allegedly auditioned bothers me since knowing the quality of Klipsch finishes from my experience makes me question if they were really the real deal or conversely if he knows his wood from his (fill in the blank).

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a very generous offer, Coytee. I wouldn't mind taking you up on that myself...

You're interested in taking my dogs for a walk outside? [:P]. Pick a date and as a bonus for taking them out in the field, we'll let ya assault your eyes & ears with them big plug ugly K402's.

Well, to each their own.

Thermalup, keep working at your quest. You obviously have strong opinions about what makes you happy and that is to be admired.

As I stated on your earlier thread, good luck.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

- Jim

If you need amplification these will handle the bill VERY nicely.

And if they don't cost enough, check out Lab Gruppen.

Crown Macro-Tech
MA-2402 Power Amp

1,050 W /ch @ 2
ohms, 800 W @ 4 ohms, and 520 @ 8 ohms.

Bridged mono mode: 2,070W @ 4 ohms.

Price: $2,399.00

Crown XTI 4000
Power Amplifier

1,600W/ch @ 2
ohms, 1,200W/ch @ 4 ohms, 650W/ch @ 8 ohms,

Bridged mono mode: 3,200W @ 4 ohms, 2,400W @ 8 ohms.

List Price: $1,591.00

Price: $999.99

Crown K1 Power
Amplifier

750W/ch @ 2
ohms, 550W/ch @ 4 ohms, 3540W/ch @ 8 ohms

Bridged mono mode: 3100W @
4 ohms, 2100W @ 8 ohms

List Price:
$2,387.00

Sale Price: $1,399.99

QSC PLX3102 Power
Amplifier

1550W/ch @ 2
ohms, 1000W/ch @ 4 ohms, 600W/ch @ 8 ohms

Bridged mono mode: 3100W @
4 ohms, 2100W @ 8 ohms

List Price:
$1,299.00

QSC PLX3602 Amplifier

1800W/ch @ 2
ohms, 1250W/ch @ 4 ohms, 775W/ch @ 8 ohms

Bridged mono mode: 3600W @
4 ohms, 2600W @ 8 ohms

List Price:
$1,549.00

Price: $1,199.99

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/

Free Shipping. Low
Price Guarantee

For those that have seen and/or have the H3's, are these finishes oil or lacquer? Therm's comment regarding the finish of what he allegedly auditioned bothers me since knowing the quality of Klipsch finishes from my experience makes me question if they were really the real deal or conversely if he knows his wood from his (fill in the blank).

I own 4 black laquer HIII, the finish is elegant and the woodworking is flawless. I have also seen / listened to 2 pair of cherry HIII, a pair of walnut Cornwall III, and a pair of black Cornwall III. All of them are VERY well made. The cherry is light in color and would have a very high WAF. The walnut Corns were the most interesting looking, not glossy but very rich in color, grain, and character. I would compare all of them to a nice piece of furniture that you would want to reach out and touch. Obviously my experiences are a bit opposite than others stated here.

- Jim

Wellll... I hate to feed a troll (ok not really, but I am trying to resist these days)....

I found it funny that someone who is so "seriousley" into this auditioned RF-somethings and 802-whatsitz. Also powered by McImnotsurewhatitwas.

I really like musicians friend, bought my QSC from them & should have bought 2 more at the price they had.

Hey Mark, have you ever ran a QSC with the fan removed?

If you like MF, try Sweetwater. Better service and same pricing. I like to order on the phone and use my same sales guy. He's been with the company since a bought a digital multitrack about 5 years ago. Can't say he really knows me as I don't buy all that much, but I like that I can get the same guy on the horn and I know that he knows what he's doing. And I know he knows that I know his extension if he screws up (he hasn't yet).

www.sweetwater.com

And if you need some one to talk about the QSC PLX II switching power supplies and how much power the 3102 has, please feel free to e-mail or PM me, I can even give you a PH# to get a hold of me. I own one, and it is VERY stout, while putting a little less hurt on the AC line.

Not going to cut it. I tried the QSC 3202 (or something like that) at 700 wpc (8 ohms) and the Brystons did better at less rated power. Our guy here heard this system and it was better than Heresys and he wants everyone on the Klipsch forum to know. He needs to do it right, just the way he heard it. I'd say he should go for the Levinson 33's a few pages back on this thread.

These should work too (but he should buy them new):

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1177863518

Now, excuse me, I'm on my way to a Ford dealer to explain to them that a Ferrari will outperform a Mustang GT.

Hmmmm.....

So you like the Heresy 2's but not the 3's - odd.

I used to own the 2's as well and have heard the 3's on a couple of ocasions. I rather liked them, ah well.

Am I to understand the B&W's you listened to were the 802N's? Yup - they are absolutely FANTASTIC speakers - but not really comparable as others have pointed out. I actually prefer them over the newer versions - the 802D. If you do go that route try them out with the Yamaha MX-D1 amp (500 wpc digital) and you will be amazed. Mates very well with a tube pre-amp (I have the Klimo at home). Add a decent source to that combo and you will have as good a sound as anyone has a right to.

As for the reference speakers - I will assume you heard either the 83's or the RF7's. I have heard the 7's many many times. Most of the time they sounded poor to my ears, but, once, at the high end show in Athens in 2005 they sounded absolutely fabulous. This tells me that that are a pig to get setup correctly but, if you manage it, you will be rewarded with truely excellent sound and soundstaging to die for.

On the one ocasion I heard them play well they produced one of the best soundstages I have ever witnessed - far, far better than the 802's in my experience (and the Heresy's for that matter).

The only thing the 802 has that cannot, IMO, be touched is the bass. Simply put - properly setup they produce the most realistic bass I have ever heard. No RF - with or without a sub - will touch them for that.

Otehr than that - I kinda like your approach. Buying an audio system one should always aim to get the best you can afford. If the 802N's are 5K budget another 5 to 8 for amp and pre-amp, 5-10 for a decent TT source and another couple of K for cables, power and so on. For as little as 15-25 K you will have a sound that can compare to anyone's.

THAT'S JUST ABOUT IT OB!!!!!! Come down to Virginia. I have 26 top shelf scotch's in my bar....I do not think you have given it a fair shake. Before you bash my scotch you just need a little one-on-one time with a Glen Marangie 18 year old[:D][;)]

I haven't had anything better than the 25 yo Macallan's, but have not tried the 18 yo Glen Marangie . Please let me know if you feel this is better than the Macallan's.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I have not had the please of trying the Macallan 25 yo. Heck I haven't even tried the Macallan 18yo however I do have a bottle of that on order. Like a gentleman said earlier, they all taste different. I bought the whisky bible (ok free in a Famous Grouse gift set) and have noticed that I do not appreciate the rating system they use. The highest rated scotch I have is a Laphraug, that is so Peaty that I almost dislike it. However I am growing into that one.

My personal preference is the Glen Marangie's as I have not had a bad one, to me, yet. Try the Macallan 15 yo Fine Oak! Excellent Macallan IMO.

Max, regarding the 802D's bass - you need to audition Summits... See what you think then. [;)]

The ML's?

Not all that impressed - although I need to check it was the Summits we heard. Kinda disconnected from the rest of the sonic picture as I recall. For me the 802N blows them out of the water - but not for soundstaging of course.....[;)]

THAT'S JUST ABOUT IT OB!!!!!! Come down to Virginia. I have 26 top shelf scotch's in my bar....I do not think you have given it a fair shake. Before you bash my scotch you just need a little one-on-one time with a Glen Marangie 18 year old[:D][;)]

I haven't had anything better than the 25 yo Macallan's, but have not tried the 18 yo Glen Marangie . Please let me know if you feel this is better than the Macallan's.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I have not had the please of trying the Macallan 25 yo. Heck I haven't even tried the Macallan 18yo however I do have a bottle of that on order. Like a gentleman said earlier, they all taste different. I bought the whisky bible (ok free in a Famous Grouse gift set) and have noticed that I do not appreciate the rating system they use. The highest rated scotch I have is a Laphraug, that is so Peaty that I almost dislike it. However I am growing into that one.

My personal preference is the Glen Marangie's as I have not had a bad one, to me, yet. Try the Macallan 15 yo Fine Oak! Excellent Macallan IMO.

NOT EVERYBODY LIKES SCOTCH......not saying You Shouldn't Enjoy It,..... Jim Beam, Wild Turkey fine by me...Bottums Up...EH !!!!

Hi Phil,

I'll try the Glen Marangie when I get a chance. I have had the Macallan 15 yo Fine Oak on may occasions. As a matter of fact I have a bottle of it at the house. [:D]

Mike