Are these Smith Horns?

Dave,

They look like they are based on the Smith design. Mr. Widget, who has posted on here, and regularly posts on the Lansing Heritage site, has built and sold ones very similar. Quite pricey, but Smiths are said to be very, very smooth sounding. As I have mentioned before, I think one would make a great mid horn for a center channel, because of the wide dispersion characteristics.

I'm attaching a pic of some of Widget's.

Bruce

post-7149-13819325929644_thumb.jpg

Yo Dave - as Marvel said - Mr. Widget is a great resource (and a heck of a nice person). He will answer quickly if you visit the forum.

Also - You can see if Bill Martinelli of Martinelli Sound knows the answer. He is a manufacturer of wood horns and has a good knowledge of Smith (if i remember correctly...). He can be contacted here:

http://www.woodhorn.com/contact.htm

It looks very much like a classic Smith.

Off to ski Aspen/Snowmass for a long weekend. I owe you a call regarding tube testing - see you when I get back.

They look like the Smith horn....But you have to look down the mouth to see if the long vanes are there....I have various designs....Some vanes will come all the way out to the mouth of the horn.....Others like the JBL 2397 are set back 1/3 of the way..Bob H Smith designed that one too. Widget has made some beautiful versions....Mine are a little rough visually. They sure sound sweet. Paul Klipsch saw them many years ago at George Ashworth,s home....But paul wanted a HF horn to fit in the upper chamber behind grill cloth.

They sure would look purty in the living room, but my head would be mounted on the wall between them. I'm tempted, though. I get the feeling these are fairly valuable, or else really, really cheap. Definitely mid 60s or earlier, going off the legs.

The auction is a live auction where you have to sign up ahead of time. I also think that you have to arrange your own shipping or pick up local because they will not pack furniture. They are really nice looking IMO and could be a fun project to make them sound good(if they don't right now). I'm with you dave on the valuation, it's hard to know since they are simply labeled as "custom" which leads me to believe that they will be bypassed for those looking for a "name." They could be a real find if the cabinet maker was a master craftsman.