SAFETY ALERT:..... SERIOUSLY.... EVERYONE NEEDS TO WATCH THIS

Gilbert

Thanks again for the tuner Jheis. It's playing now.

Just out of curiosity, how does it compare to the Adcom (?) you got about the same time? They're probably from about the same era & probably were close to the same price range at the time.

Anyway, glad you're enjoying it. The Optonica label was quality stuff & whenever I see an piece of Optonica gear for sale I'm still tempted to pick it up.

James

One of my friends (who is quite respectable now) had something of a wild youth. He is an expert at getting into cars (do not ask).

Anyway at a party he was mentioned this ability and no-one believed him. So we all trouped downstairs and he opened everyone of our cars (about 10 different models and makes). The longest it took him was about 50 seconds - no damage to any of them. I shall not tell you all how - but we were all mightily impressed.

Having seen that what irritates me the most is when some idiot breaks the window of your car to get in - there is just no need for that and it is a complete PITA getting a replacement window:

"Hello - the dirvers side window of my car has been broken. Its an ZXY model 2."

"Is it tinted?"

"Yes"

"What color?"

"Green"

"We only have the brown tints in stock right now"

One of my friends (who is quite respectable now) had something of a wild youth. He is an expert at getting into cars (do not ask).

Anyway at a party he was mentioned this ability and no-one believed him. So we all trouped downstairs and he opened everyone of our cars (about 10 different models and makes). The longest it took him was about 50 seconds - no damage to any of them. I shall not tell you all how - but we were all mightily impressed.

Having seen that what irritates me the most is when some idiot breaks the window of your car to get in - there is just no need for that and it is a complete PITA getting a replacement window:

"Hello - the dirvers side window of my car has been broken. Its an ZXY model 2."

"Is it tinted?"

"Yes"

"What color?"

"Green"

"We only have the brown tints in stock right now"

Did he use a tool called a slim-jim? It's a tool that slides between the outside of the glass and the rubber seal at the bottom fo the windows. The tool has a notch or hook in it that catches the door-lock linkage. I've seen (again, don't ask) skilled users pop open a doors regulary within 5 to 15 sec's.

I know what your thinking JB, no , that kind of slim-jim.

Interesting video, no doubt has made the lock folks a lot of money (I have sometimes wondered if that is actually the true source of the video).   While it certainly raises some valid concerns, it doesn't necessarily reflect statistical probability of crimes committed.

In eighteen years as a Sheriff's Deputy I took hundreds of reports on B&E's and burglaries of homes.  The favored method of entry in most cases: a size twelve lock pick placed strategically near the lock and deadbolt, causing the jamb to come apart or separate.  The next two favorites were a wrecking bar (12" favored because its easy to conceal and is effective against unforeseen dogs) or a large pair of channel locks to twist the doorknob assembly out of the door.  Thieves have no respect for your property except what they want to steal, and also have no qualms about destroying your property to get to your valuables.  And speed is of the essence for most.  Forget glamorized Italian-Job lock-picking hollywood thieves.  You are infinitely more likely to be victimized by thieves that are unskilled and prefer brute force to finesse.  They are for the most part unmotivated and too lazy to learn a skill which is why they choose to be thieves instead.  

Most favorite targets of opportunity:  Cash, guns, and whatever the hot electronic or techie device is at the moment. Jewelry is also common, but I saw many instances where costume jewelry was taken instead of real jewelry because they didn't know enough to know the difference.   

The notable exception to the brute force principal is auto thieves, who learn to use a slim jim because breaking the window reduces the value of the vehicle and increases the chances of getting spotted and caught.  But once inside the ignition is fair game for destruction.

Majority of break-ins happen during the day for the simple reasons that there is less likelihood of being caught with most people being away at work, but also for the very real reason that in most states the penalties are much more severe if the crime is committed after dark.  The lawmakers'  rationale (oxymoron?) being that the propensity for violence against a homeowner escalates after dark.

My observations were that the most effective deterents against theft are, in no particular order, good neighbors or a neighborhood watch that will keep an eye on your place, a good dog, light to discourage night theft and vandalism, paying attention to everything that goes on around you.  Also consider that the neighborhood busybody may actually be your best ally. One of the best principles to remember is simply, "Out of sight, out of mind".

I am not a particularly an advocate of alarms either.  In eighteen years, averaging an alarm call per shift, I only responded to one case where the alarm actually indicated a break-in.   The rest of the alarms were false alarms.  Most municipalities do not allow emergency response to alarms, and indeed many have started charging the alarm companies/ owners for response to alarms over a threshold amount.  On the other hand we did have a rash of night-time break-ins for a while, and several were thwarted by activation of a panic alarm by the homeowner.  Stake-outs were a more effective deterent however :) .

I always found it interesting that so many, many times while taking reports, the victims would say something like, "I bet this was a bunch of kids that did this".  Its as if people can't allow themselves to believe that a grown person would make a willing and conscious decision to victimize them.  They can.  They do.

One thing I cannot emphasize enough is this.  Always trust your gut. ALWAYS TRUST YOUR GUT.  I don't know how many times the victims of crimes have told me that they thought something wasn't right about a situation but instead of acting on that feeling they rationalized it away or ignored it.  If you see anything suspicious call the Police.  They can only be in so many places at a time, and you know alot more about what is normal for your neighborhood than they can.  When in doubt call.  It is irritating to hear people apologize for calling you when they see something suspicious, when most police appreciate the call.  Its your tax dollar.  Get your money's worth.

Just my perspective, my experience, my take on the subject FWIW. I hope something here may help you with a more effective personal protection strategy.

With your "arsenal" of subs you could pull off a pretty convincing reproduction of artillery as an alarm  :o  

Its worth reiterating that the best lock is worthless without reinforcement of the jamb and area around the door.  I'm figuring that you have that covered, with carefully overengineered excess.  :)

Doors unlocked.

Gun loaded.

C'mon in

My Man!

With kids I never kep any gun loaded. I do keep my Chesapeake Bay Retriever and baseball bat for the welcoming committe.

Very smart with kids. As an alternative I use one of these. Fast, secure, safe, bolted to the floor. Knowing the weapon is locked away securely brings peace of mind.

http://www.gunvault.com/home/

post-17373-13819326393826_thumb.jpg