Raw curves on Roy's Cinema Products.

jwc

The reason I asked about dual 18 versus dual 15 is because I've never liked the sound of 18's....especially when crossed over above 80Hz. I dunno what it is, but I've been through dozens and dozens of "pro subs" and have always preferred the sound of 15's. Yea, the 18's would go louder but they all have this signature sound to them. It's hard to describe. Whether or not you like it I suppose is personal preference so I would highly recommend giving some a listen before purchasing.

That said, I believe there are some arguments that can be made that show for a given radiating surface area, you can achieve better bass performance with more motors (like dual 12's versus a single 15). In other words, I would rather go with a higher quantity of smaller woofers than a low quantity of big woofers.

Just curious - are you looking to go with straight up 2-channel? The reason I ask is because you might consider going 3-way:

"subwoofer" that can do 20-80

"MF" bin that can do 80-800

and top section that can do 800-20kHz

All of the actual crossover points should be chosen based on what fits the actual components best, but I think you can achieve something killer targetting ranges like that. I wonder which is better in the 80-800Hz region: the lascala bass bin or the Jubilee? I'd love to see a true 50Hz tractrix horn with curved walls - kinda like a mix between the Jubilee and lascala, but better than both. It shouldn't be too hard to achieve with masonite. And then for subwoofage you just take advantage of the loading of the room to extend your response.

Btw, have you tried the eminence magnum drivers?

I hope you don't mind me thinking out loud. I am very interested in your project - it sounds like you're trying to go for the ideal, but nobody knows what that ideal is!

Mike...I truly love the La Scala but won't do it for me as a stand alone speaker.

Yep....this is for 2 channel. Just trying to explore my options. I could consider the one sub in the middle like the KPT 884.

They quit making the Magnums from what I understand. Eminence has a new line of drivers that are similar...I forgot the name.

Yea......80-800.....I would just go for the La Scala or the center jubilee that I've scratched around on paper a ton of times. Of Course.....the K150 that would be nutty.

To be honest....to make the tractrix lf/mf bin would be easier.......I was just trying to stay away from the tractrix for the low frequencies. I probably don't know enough.

You know...I can't remember when I last heard an 18" woofer.....good point....will need to think on it.

jc

Mike...I truly love the La Scala but won't do it for me as a stand alone speaker.

That's why I was thinking you might consider going 3-way, using another bin to dig below where the lascala poops out (which is around 100Hz). The Jubilee LF is an attempt at doing both in a single package, but I think you can do better in the 50Hz and below range with a dedicated driver to that passband - which tend to be able to go up as high as 80Hz too. Basically "stereo subwoofage" if you will, but I don't like to think of it that way. I've been sampling a lot of the funk music you like to listen to and I think solid 35Hz extension should be your minimum goal.

It's official. Order for the 510's with K69's accepted. Don't have any idea how long before I get them.

Mike...I need a way to get you some funk....let me think about this. I have a ton of it.

jc

"what did you think of the polar data of the 510 and 402? and no don't show it to jc or shawn or deano and especially coyotee-o!"

Nanny nanny poo poo.. I have seen the 402s polar data. ;)

Wouldn't mind seeing the 510s data though.....

Shawn

miketn,

i think it will okay to post the 510 data......

have a blessed night,

roy delgado

For anyone not familiar with this type of graph the Vertical Scale is the Angle in degrees and is based on the -6db points(Roy please correct me if my assumption here is wrong) where the off axis SPL has droped below the on axis SPL. The horizontal scale is the frequency in Hz and so by looking at the frequencies of interest you can look at the Vertical Scale and see what the coverage angle of the Horn is. So for example: on the Horizontal Polar Response Graph of the K510 at 843Hz the coverage angle is 100 degrees wide (about the on axis response) before it falls below -6db of the on axis sound pressure level.

mike tn[:)]

Mike this is the display of the actual coverage and Roy hasn't shown the calculated coverage in these graphs.

For example: On the Horizontal Graph notice the small box below the graph stating this to be "Actual Horizontal Coverage" if the calculated figures had been displayed there would also be another statement like "Calculated Horizontal Coverage" and another colored line would have been displayed.

mike tn[:)]

So those are labelled as being the "predicted" plots....I take it they correlate fairly well to the actual? I remember the Jube LF Bin having quite a bit of variation between the predicted and actual...

doc,

these are actual -6 downpoints; real data, not calculated. i took the calculated curve out as it could cause confusion.

have a blessed day and happy birthday,

roy delgado

• 1 year later...

Bump

Roy.......I've been diggin' up this thread off and on since it was first started. So I bumped it to the top of the list so that it is easier to find.

SO: Do you have a raw curve on the KPT-MB-XII???

That would be helpful. Thanks.

jc

I see your point as nobody ever comes down here to this forum. However, the content of this thread seems appropriate for this location.

Wherever the thread goes, doesn't matter to me. Just want a place where I can ask about Roy's stuff (Cinema).

A cinema FAQ would be nice.

jc

Keep it here, just point Steve or Roy in this direction.

Cinema IS Commercial. But Klipsch rarely releases raw curves as they are not important to most users and cause confusion.

The previous curves in this thread were very helpful. I would like to see one of the XII if available.

jc

• 8 years later...