what to think when a $800.00, amp compares to a 5000.00 pair

the se-otl's are in the house, and i am trying to figure out how an 800.00 amp can sound this good............comparing it to my sun audio 2a3 pp monos at 5000........i bought a pair of the otl's thinking 4 watt mono but of course i had to try it as a stereo amp at 1.5 watts and it is unreal the music this amp puts out.......the level is more than enough for my normal listening habits, the bass is very deep and detailed mids and highs are crisp clear and detailed, soundstage is as good as my 2a3 plenty of seperation and airyness (for lack of a better word) i am totally impressed with this amp, and havent even tried it as a mono yet where i am told the bottom end will get better.........enough typing time to do some more listeniing

Joe

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i bought a pair of the transendant sound se-otl amps, they were factory builds and as a stereo amp putting out 1.5 watts per channell it really does a nice job over the whole music spectrum, paired with k-orns and the supratek chenin the volume can get higher than my ears can stand, so far i have only had a chance to play a few albums but i like what i am hearing now i just have to justify using the pair as monos

Joe

Thanks for that link, Dean. While I am no fan of SE amplification by any stretch of the imagination, this model is much more realistically priced than some other abominations offered from other manufacturers. Congratulations on your smart purchase, Joe. Now all you need to do is find a home for your other amps... and pocket some money into the bargain...

P.S. If I felt so inclined to purchase SE amplification, this is the kind of money I would want to spend...

my pre-amp is a supratek chenin by mick maloney, (tons of adjustable gain) which is more than likely a big part of the success with the 1.5 watts (although i made no adjustments to the system when i installed the se-otl)...............another nice fact with these amps is they are near dead quiet even on the phono section, when i say near i mean on line stage absolute silence with the volume at max, on phono there is swilence to about the 10 o-clock pos. then the low level noise i have always had shows up but it is as good or better than any other amp/ pre combo i have used

compared to vrd's (not a valid comparrison.........apples to oranges in a sense), both amps were designed with differant outcomes in mind, vrds represent power with above average nice clean sound, and set is designed to take everything it possiably can out of the path at the expense of power to gain the overall best possiable sound, it is my understanding every piece of gear must have trade offs to achieve its goals and still be affordable..........if it were up to all builders im sure they would want the best overall product they could hope to achieve and say damb the cost knowing it would sell........

with that said how do they compare,

vrd,s have a huge sound they are very dynamic great bottom end and very respectable mid and decent highs, they put off a good soundstage and imaging they were very nice amps that i was happy to oun, i could have gone a lifetime with them and had no room for complaint,they are a fun capable amp..... problem is i am never satisfied in my hobbys (everyone i have ever been involved in i have taken it to extreme, and i usualy manage to suck all the fun right out of it)

sun audio mono amps this is hands down the best amp i had heard to date but again in a differant arena both cost and design (over 5000 for the pair) they are not a true set they are a 2a3 pp design and put out 10 watts per channell, they excell in detail, soundstage, and imaging.........i heard things with these amps i have never heard B-4 in songs i thought i knew by heart (i live for all the detail i can get, but i still want musical and bottom end sound to boot) (hard to please aint i[6]) well these amps are a dream come true in my arena as they do everything better (except the slam you get that comes with power) bass is very detailed i was able to seperate instruments i couldnt B-4, i could hear backing vocals clearer, on the high end things were a ton cleaner could hear the pick hit the string or the wood on the cymbal, and still the k-horns produced a very respectable amount of bass except now i could pin-point the differances frrom the bass guitar and the bass drum notes i could ramble on about these but i think you get the point

se-otl, are they as good as the sun audio (jury is still out) do they compare very very very favorably to them HELL YES, is there 4200.00 in differance of sound between the 2 i doubt that seriously, the se-otl is ugly compared to the sun or about any other amp out they are very industrial in appearance (I KNOW,,,,,,,,,,,I KNOW IT's ALL ABOUT THE SOUND........[bs]), everyone i know chooses on the beauty and the sound and gets very upset if something happens to detract from the beauty but leaves the sound intact.......ask yourself why it is you will pay higher $$ for a mint looking piece of gear instead of if its just a mint sounding/working piece....................[^o)]

sell your vrd,s and buy se-otl ????????????? i dont know depends on your taste in sound.............will you discover more detail IMO yes, will you loose power and slam (feel the bass in your chest) yes

THIS IS NOT AN OPEN INVITATION FOR A FLAME WAR DEBATE THIS IS MY OPINION TAKE IT ANY WAY YOU LIKE, BUT PLEASE TAKE IT AS 1 OPINION and there are tons of those out here in the world

ANYONE THAT WANTS TO HEAR THE DIFFERANCES ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO COME ON DOWN / UP AND CHECK IT OUT AND IF YOU HAVE VRD OR WHAT EVER YOU CAN BRING THAT AND WE WILL DO HEAD TO HEAD COMPARISONS IN A FRIENDLY MANNER

Joe

i am currently drooling over a pair of speakers that i cant afford they have been up for salee for quite some time on a-gon and the seller actually dropped the price to 3600 delivered still outta my range unless i sold some gear problem is i like everything i have and dont want to sell anything now, he built a custom horn bass cabinet with 15" eminence driver, and added an oris 200 with aer (i think thats the letters) full range driver on top, is including a x-over etc... i have heard something close to his design differance being the bass was a k-horn bin with false corners, and the oris was the larger 250 but they sound amazing..........not that the k-horns with the alk's are lacking(IM NEVER SATISFIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! help me please some-one [:|])

Joe