Weird, weirder, what the ????

maxg

Finally got my tubes and pre-amp back from the friend I lent them to and set about connecting them up to the Rel Strata 3.

Connection is via the spare outs on the pre, direct into the low level RCA inputs on the Rel.

With the cross over set to the 63 Hz I now have with the Accuphase E211 the sub is so boomy it is unbearable and so loud.

After some play I found that the boom disappears at 42 Hz crossover - that is a 21 Hz difference!!

That is weird.

Then I have the volume problem. It is drowning out the rest of the sound and screwing up the soundstage even on zero volume!!

That is weirder.

Finally, leafing through the manual I notice that the red (positive) connection is set to +12 Db relative to the black. I remove it - no change - still too loud.

Maybe the manual is wrong I think and remove the black (negative) connector whilst the unit is playing. Just as I am about to re-connect the red I notice something. The unit is still playing!!!

What the ????

After a lot of deep thought I realise what is happening (no - it is not a miracle).

My Accuphase and my tubes are connected to the same inputs on the speakers. The speaker outs of the Accuphase are also connected via the high level connector to the sub. Signal is going from the pre-amp to the tubes as normal and then on towards the speakers. At the speaker the signal is continuing on down the cables that lead back to the accuphase and from there going down the high level connecter to the sub. This happens even when the accuphase is off.

Took sometime to figure that one out I can tell you. Thought I was entering the twilight zone for a while there. Seems to play very well on that bizzare set up though so I have left the pre-amp connections off.

But what about that difference in crossover point between tubes and accuphase!!??

And people say there is no difference between amps!!

Anyway each setup is now properly integrated so you cant tell where the sub comes in and the amp/speakers end. That is all I ever wanted.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable