Positioning Of A Sub

zuzu

I have RF 7's in a 2 channel setting. Can a Sub be higher than the side speakers and closer to one than the other? The sub would have to go on an open shelf stand where all my stuff is. Will this cause a vibration that makes adding a sub counter productive?

When I used subs, they always sounded better when they (it) was equidistant from both main speakers and on the same plane as the midrange drivers. In my Dahlquist days, the subs sounded much better when the DQ-10s were actually sitting on top of the woofers.

Think about it - listen to the subs without the mains on. Even if you're crossing over at 60 hz., the sub will have considerable output into the midbass and midrange spectrum. If that is coming to you from somewhere else - behind you, for instance - and appreciably sooner or later than the mains, your ear will hear it as "something not quite right."

The shelf is probably not your best option. Most subs are designed to couple with the floor, and might generate rattles among its shelf-mates.

Not quite sure what happened above, here - my computer evidently got the hiccups.

I have RF 7's in a 2 channel setting. Can a Sub be higher than the side speakers and closer to one than the other? The sub would have to go on an open shelf stand where all my stuff is. Will this cause a vibration that makes adding a sub counter productive?

I would certainly consider it prudent to anticipate vabrations, but to a large extent, the mass of the unit will dictate the magnitude.

As for location, I don't believe it really matters for that range of frequencies.

Never herd anyone put a sub on shelf except for those tiny Computer ones.

As far as floor placement if you have a phase control, it doesnt matter. Just tune the sub with that. If you dont have a phase control the way we used to do it, was to have the sub in one spot, then walk around the room until it sounds best. Then thats where you place the sub. By using a phase control , you can compensate for that practice.

Sounds like you dont have the room for a sub, you just might be better without out if you dont have it already. I would have though the RF7's go pretty low