What sub woofer RF 7 [2 channel]

zuzu

Seems like a subwoofer creates an artificial bass with the RF-7's......recently I sold my big sub and am now focusing on good amplification with them.

If someone likes a huge amount of bass with movies then a self powered sub may be the way to go. I am a little confused by your post though, did I clear anything up?

I'm fairly happy with the RF 7 as is ,but I am pondering a sub to get a more clear more realistic base in a fairly large room 20 X 16 and open to the right. The quality POWERED subs seem to be way out of my willingness to pay ie $2000+. I have an extra great power amp. Can I use that to minimize the sub cost and still get something great. A non-powerered sub if you will ! Thanks speedball.

Seems like a subwoofer creates an artificial bass with the RF-7's.......

If someone likes a huge amount of bass with movies then a self powered sub may be the way to go.

Ditto...............

Once broken in the bass from the 7's is perfect (in my enviroment) for 2 channel, on the nads accurate......

For movies we use an SVS for the very low frequency thunders and rumbles with the 7's and it blends pretty well

The RF7's were great speakers and the key word is "were"...they are efficient little guys but just don't have a bottom end to make anyone satisfied. Typically you would want to place a dedicated self powered sub or two within your system, your Rotel & Nad are rather limited in output to say the least. Check out SVS subs, the + series are remarkable if you can fit them into your listening room. Power to move air and then some. Somewhat boomy but for under $2K, that's what you end up with. Hsu are a good match for your RF7's and are quite cost effective.

Cheers and good luck!

Just get an rws12/15 and you'll see.There is no such thing as "fake"bass,it may sound good or bad but it's real.If a sub sounds bad it's a bad sub or an improper set up,never been a problem with my rsw15,perfect match,perfect bass and mucho musical.

Gents, gents, gents.

I find the RF 7's to be a very well balanced, full bandwidth, dynamic speaker system when properly set up, and driven. I get a picture painted that is about 2-3 feet taller than they are, and about 2 feet beyond them, with no voids in between. They are about 8 feet apart. They make music sound so real, being I shut my eyes and it sounds as though Ray Charles, Eric Clapton, or whomever is spinning at the moment, is there in the room. I get defensive and defiant when I read responses that contain comments like "they can't do this", or "they aren't capable of that".

I understand the "fake bass" as being, it doesn't sound natural with the rest of the recording, it may sound "bass heavy", when the recording itself is not.

I am a big advocate of to each their own, it makes the planet pretty interesting, but we can all enjoy "ours" without Stating what can and can't be done, when actually sometimes it can.

With any (quality) system, much can be gained by placements, room treatments, and the likes. There are numerous posts here @ Klipsch on such topics.

Maybe a tad sensative on my behalf, but opinions quite often come off as facts, when they are indeed opinions.

The sub I'm thinking of getting is the SVS SB-12 Plus @ $699. Its small enough to fit on my bottom shelf. That shelf is as rock solid as the floor beneath it. Its only 14" high and 14"deep. 425watt bash amp. BTW did I mention this is not for movies, just music CD's. Thanks for mentioning the SVS woofers.

If you go SVS you'll hear more deep bass than you probably have ever heard with any other subwoofer. It extends the useable frequency range of most systems a couple octaves lower. It isn't going to be as big of an impact with music (unless you listen to techno or pipe organ) but especially for movies you will be blown away.

Zuzu, I think your shelf idea would work, although you might have to do a lot of tweaking with the phase knob on the subwoofer to get it to blend best with your other speakers. If you get the sub, take your time and have someone help you out with adjust the crossover and phase so that it sounds best to you. An hour's time getting everything dialed in just right is worth it!