anyone else get to a point where ?????????

i have a nice system now IMO, and the sound is incrediable but it seems i m at a crossroad now its getting to a point where all the fun is quickly comming out of the hobby, i absolutely love the sound of tubes and the clean power they provide but it seems they are more trouble than they should be i have had several differant types of tube gear and without fail every one had to be sent in for 1 reason or another except the jolida jd 100 cdp, now with my new supratek chenin having to be sent out for a repair at a cost of 67.00 for shipping i am pretty low on tubes right now, thinking seriously about going back to ss mac gear or the like......................not only could i put togeather a respectable ss set up but put some $$$$$$$$$$$$ in the savings account.....dont want to make any rash decisions so i guess i will wait awhile

anyone else ever feel this way????????????

Joe

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have a nice system now IMO, and the sound is incrediable but it seems i m at a crossroad now its getting to a point where all the fun is quickly comming out of the hobby, i absolutely love the sound of tubes and the clean power they provide but it seems they are more trouble than they should be i have had several differant types of tube gear and without fail every one had to be sent in for 1 reason or another except the jolida jd 100 cdp, now with my new supratek chenin having to be sent out for a repair at a cost of 67.00 for shipping i am pretty low on tubes right now, thinking seriously about going back to ss mac gear or the like......................not only could i put togeather a respectable ss set up but put some $$$$$$$$$$$$ in the savings account.....dont want to make any rash decisions so i guess i will wait awhile

anyone else ever feel this way????????????

Joe

Hmmmmmmmm excuse me the VRD's never needed to come here while you owned them. You sent one back and nothing was found wrong with it. You never did reply and tell me what you did to fix your dead channel? The only problem found after you sold them before they went on to the new owner was severe salt water air environment related causing major oxidization on tube pins and sockets. A simple cleanup with Deoxit and brushes took care of that. So I would say your statement are not 100% accurate.

Craig

Hi Joe, I don't think I will ever go back but that is just me. I do not like to tell anyone what to do, but might I suggest to you that you just slow way down. Kick back for awhile and do some intense listening of what you already have, then see if you still feel the way you are now. Joe this just some friendly advice nothing more. I hope it all works out for you.

How about those new amps of yours, do they really stack up to your Sun's? I am thinking really hard about trying these strickly for the price.

Jay

You're right Joe - don't make any rash decisions based on a bad experience with a piece of gear. Most folks will get frustrated with their system at one point or another - especially if they are having problems. In another thread, I mentioned one of the most problematic issues I have is with noise which at times has gotten the best of me to the point where I just threw up my hands and walked away. My reaction is always worse than the problem in that I can usually figure it out if I just take the time and be patient. 

Also, while tube gear can have some reliability issues that SS usually doesn't, don't jump to the conclusion that tubes are your problem. Often, if tube equipment has a tendency to fail or have problems, you should check the electricity coming from your outlet or even the box. A buddy had all sorts of trouble with his tube gear  - even stuff I gave him that I had absolutely no issues with. I checked his outlet with a meter and it was jumping all over the place. I concluded that it had to have effect on his equipment so I installed a isolation transformer which seemed to settle things quite a bit. In his case, he had problems with SS gear too so if this is your problem as well, I don't know if switching would do you much good. 

Buck it up fella - you'll get a handle on it soon enough and all will be well with the audio world again. BTW, if you need to borrow a preamp until yours gets fixed, let me know.

craig you have a pm............

i think most of this is just venting frustration, i am very happy with the sound the system produces, just gets a little agrivating that i have to send in yet another piece of gear, the money in the bank isnt an issue it is a plus if i did sell out (which i really doubt), yes the otl's really do stack up to the sun audio amps and when i get the pre back i will get to do some more comparisons

joe

Both my Peach and VRDs are over 2 years old....get plenty of use...and neither have ever failed. I sent my Peach in for some upgrades once but it had not ever failed. Last week for the very first time I had to replace a rectifier tube in 1 VRD. Otherwise they have not skipped a beat.

I also have vintage Scott's (299 and LK-72). The 299 went in for 1 repair after 4 years of use. It needed minor maintenance and a couple of tubes ( I have no tube tester). The LK-72 has never failed at all. Both had Craig's deluxe rebuild job prior to putting into service. My LK-72 runs my center channel and is on almost always when the VRDs are on.

I just got a Jolida JD-100. I'm glad you say it hadn't failed on you.

I have s/s stuff too. I prefer listening to the tubes by far even if it does mean occasional maintenance.

You're right Joe - don't make any rash decisions based on a bad experience with a piece of gear. Most folks will get frustrated with their system at one point or another - especially if they are having problems. In another thread, I mentioned one of the most problematic issues I have is with noise which at times has gotten the best of me to the point where I just threw up my hands and walked away. My reaction is always worse than the problem in that I can usually figure it out if I just take the time and be patient.

Also, while tube gear can have some reliability issues that SS usually doesn't, don't jump to the conclusion that tubes are your problem. Often, if tube equipment has a tendency to fail or have problems, you should check the electricity coming from your outlet or even the box. A buddy had all sorts of trouble with his tube gear - even stuff I gave him that I had absolutely no issues with. I checked his outlet with a meter and it was jumping all over the place. I concluded that it had to have effect on his equipment so I installed a isolation transformer which seemed to settle things quite a bit. In his case, he had problems with SS gear too so if this is your problem as well, I don't know if switching would do you much good.

Buck it up fella - you'll get a handle on it soon enough and all will be well with the audio world again. BTW, if you need to borrow a preamp until yours gets fixed, let me know.

thanks for the offer, right now i have the suns hooked to the jolida so im not having withdraws yet. i know you guys are right i do have a patience issue but little man is working that out he dont understand other issues just what he wants..............by the way i saw an erato for sale on a-gon for 1000.00 is that a good deal

Joe

Joe,

Good to hear that you've settled down a bit. "...by  the way i saw an erato for sale on a-gon for 1000.00 is that a good deal[?]". I think its a great deal but then I'm biased. If I didn't already have 2 of them, I'd jump all over it...did I mention that I was biased. I especially like the 27 tube in the Erato's cathode-follower circuit. Having said that, the older 27 tubes can be microphonic so judicious use of tube dampers (I prefer the Herbie's brand) is all but mandatory. This was Fred's top-of-the-line preamp when he only offered 2 models and he used very high-quality parts in a very well-designed circuit. Its still my best-sounding pre and I would use it full-time if I had an appropriate phono pre to pair it with. In light of this thread and unless you're just smitten by a bargain, I wouldn't suggest any sudden changes in your system  - especially one that would require that you search out a phono stage. Talk about frustration!

Paul....

The ultimate dream of audiophiles is to be able to trade in their "old" gear every month for whatever is recommended in the latest issue of Stereophile. Kind of the old Playboy philosophy, who is this month's girl?

I am sorry but this topic..... and this response???? It is priceless!

It is hard to dream of your perfect setup... Then build to get it all done....... Is it what you thought it would/ should be? Yes, we all need to enjoy the journey and the final outcome. I, myself, learned a lot about my own bias and wants and needs in my own quest. I also know others would never go this route in life at all and that is fine too.

Is this hobby for everyone? No. Does everyone have a K horn room like Artto? No...

But I have met some great people along the way with some great systems to enjoy, and some new music to explore and listen to as well.

Just chill out Joe and wait awhile. it'll all come back to you. I kind of reached the same point a couple of months ago and posted about it on the board. I am very happy with the sound of my system also, and to this point I haven't had any reliability issues with any of my tube gear. If you are having that many problems you may want to check your line voltage. I run the voltage to my system through a power conditioner. I'm sure it does help.

Dave

I haven't had to touch my 299b in the 4 years I've owned it (once Craig rebuilt).

I had minor issues with my Blueberry initially but it turned out to be bad tubes. No problems with my VRDs except a bad tube once. Cheap and easily replaced.

I'm thrilled with the sound of all 3 of my tube systems and I doubt I'll upgrade anything in the forseeable future other than possibly a different cart once my stylus needs replacing.

Joe - It's time to settle down and enjoy music. All my audio funds go to buying music now and much of my time is dedicated to getting rid of LPs I know I'll never listen to. Isn't music the reason we are in this hobby in the first place? I thought your system sounded great a couple years ago when Rich and I picked up those Belles from you. Since then, you've bought and sold more gear then I've ever owned!!

Don't go back to SS!! That'll be one decision you'll REALLY regret and I guarantee you'll just end up selling it all to buy tubes again. Lots of folks here have benefited from your gear swapping. I'm sure they greatly appreciate the deals but it's time to stop and smell the roses buddy! I remember the first time we met. It wasn't all that long ago Joe. Look at all you've acquired since then!!!

I agree with Gary. Just sit back and enjoy it. Thats the one thing I was missing. I got so 'critical' about my system that I stopped enjoying the music. Somebody here on the board reminded me of that. I had gotten to the point that I wasn't listening to 'listen', but was analyzing the sound. That ain't no way to enjoy the tunes.

dave

I agree with Gary. Just sit back and enjoy it. Thats the one thing I was missing. I got so 'critical' about my system that I stopped enjoying the music. Somebody here on the board reminded me of that. I had gotten to the point that I wasn't listening to 'listen', but was analyzing the sound. That ain't no way to enjoy the tunes.

dave

dave

I'll third that! Outside of swapping between my favorite amplifiers, Mono 10s and Dynaclones, SETs, I am thrilled with the sound of my system. I listen 10 hours a day and it plays overnight as my wife likes the music to help her get back to sleep if she wakes during the night.

ENJOY Joe!!!

BTW: I've had to send back brand new SS equipment for problems. At least with tube amps, I can fix them myself. [;)]