AKFEST07 WEEKEND at PICKY'S: (Attendees & Detroit Area Klipschers)

picky

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My problem with California is: I can't see how most normal people afford to live there!

Picky--that's my problem too! But then again, I've never been accused of being normal. I unfortunately raised my kids in a high-cost area (The Beach) and now that they're adults they don't want to move away and my wife says that she doesn't want to be far from the grandchildren. If we ever want to retire, we'll have to move. There is absolutely no way I can make my house payment on a retired income. I've lived in your general area of the country before--I lived five years in Michigan (four in Grand Haven, one in Cheboygan) while I was in the Coast Guard. Grand Haven will always hold a special place in my heart and is a tempting place to consider returning to (even more so since I've joined this forum--I love good music, good food, good friends, and even good hot sauce). We're remodeling, maybe when my place moves from the embarrassing condition to respectable--I'll test the waters to see what kind of Klipsch gathering can be held out here.

Best wishes and I hope you and your guests have a great time.

Just a quick update from the Small House Theater...

Man, been listening to tunes and watching movies all day. It's been a blast. Good music, great speakers, awesome hospitality...it's been a riot.

We managed to take some measurements today too. I suppose it won't surprise many that they look really good too.

pickyht.jpg

(click for larger picture)

Oh btw, them's stock RF-7's...

As expected, it was a great time at Glenn "Picky" Mosby's "Small House Theater." Meeting Dr. Who and IndyKlipschFan was worth the trip alone; dinner at Dunleavys and enjoying Glenn and Vernas hospitality made it so much the better. Im just sorry we arrived too late to meet dkp.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Glenn, my son Ross was especially impressed with the battle scene from Master and Commander. He was also impressed with the fact that Russell Crowe is not the only one to keep his cool under fire. Youre pretty good yourself at crisis management. The show mustand didgo on.

Who, I hope you and your friends can put those full-range drivers to good use. Ill be interested to hear what you do with them.

IKF - Vaya con dios! It was a pleasure.

Enjoy Akfest tomorrow and have safe trips home. Perhaps Ill see you at the Pilgrimage.

Dizrotus: It was a pleasure as always to have you back over to our place. We enjoyed meeting your son, too; a very well-mannered, nice young man. Thanks for bringing all of the goodies with you. Indy tried the Vernor's and said he likes it. Dr. Who isn;t a ginger ale fan so I couldn;t convince him to give it a go. LOL Thanks for coming, Neil & Ross.

I should elaborate for the rest of you what Dizrotus was referring to when he mentioned in his post above that I am good at "crisis management":

We'd been watching stuff all day long and Dr. Who had taken his mesurements and we were watching a THX sampler disc that Indy (Roger) had brought with him. When we decided to leave to go to dinner at Dunleavy's, everything was running fine and we shut the system down. When we returned, 1-1/2 hours later, we switched the system on again and..........NOTHING! Nice picture on the screen, but no sound on anything! Also, the words, "LINK CHECK" were flashing on both the Pioneer Elite receiver and the Pioneer Elite DVD player. I use iLink (firewire) to send the sound information digitally to the receiever from the DVD player. This procedure provide me with bass management when listening to DVD-Audio disks.

So, the search was on to find the problem, which could not have come at a worse, or more embarassing, time: with a house full of eager, Klipsch experts! Holy crap! I convinced myself that I must have bumped a button (or something) before leaving. I thought: "What else could be wrong after all? I hadn't touched or changed anything in the back of the equipment in months, nor had well tried to move anything around." Hmm.....So Dr. Who helped me unload the storage stuff in the walk-in closet that the equipment rack sits in so I could open the rear door to my rack. I unplugged the firewire at both ends and reinserted it: NOTHING! I tried this and that and then I unplugged the firewire all together and plugged in an optical cable between the receiver and DVD player. I then in my haste while trying to assigne the digital inputs didn't realize I'd plugged the receive end of the optical cable into an "Output" rather that and "Input". Roger figured that one out. So, between me, Dr.Who and Roger; in about 45 minutes' time, we went from complete silence to "Ah-h-h-h-h-h!" with no degradation of sound quality from before. And I can live with the lack of bass management on DVD-A's.......for now, anyway. But I suspect that somehow...my firewire cable has thrown in the towel. How the heck did THAT happen? I will verify this later by plugging in another firewire cable to see it that fixes it. Have any of you fellow forum memebers ever had a firewire cable fail on you? The one hasn't been touched or distrubed for a couple of years!

This was the first time since the theater became fully operational in October of 2004 that we've had any sort of malfunction with the equipment, other that the projector bulb burning out once. And, in this case, the incident's timing could not have come at a worse time! BUt,as Dizrotus pointed out...I didn't even cuss once! LOL ...well, maybe I did a little, but to myself. Thanks to Doc and Indy for helping me figure this one out!

Dr. Who: Thanks for bringing your room testing rig along. I really enjoyed watching to good to work with that rig. I was surprised to learn that our room's response scored so well. What a relief to know that there's really nothing I urgently need to change to improve the sound. I have been happy with the sound since day one and all I did (other than making the room right) was to use the on-board MCACC calibration the Pioneer Elite receiver has built in. You tests confirm that thing really works! Thanks, man!

IndyKlipschFan: Thanks for bringing the awesome assortment of hot sauces for my collection! They will certainly be put to good use!

dkp: It was a pleasure meeting you. I'm sorry you weren't able to stay longer.

BTW: The loudiest thing we've heard all weekend long thus far was the cannoball battle scene in 'Master and Commander': We hit a peak of 120.3 db in "C" weighted (digital meter) at about 12 feet back from the speakers!

nice troubleshooting there guys. Thank goodness you provided easy access to the rear of the awesome Picky-Rack!

Hope you kids have fun today. I'll be interested to see the results of Doc's test of my gear after we insert the new Yammie receiver and put it through her paces.

btw Doc- make sure to get here before 11:30 as Peyton Manning will be hosting SNL. You remember him he's the Colts QB who BEAT your Bears!

Michael

Michael: I'll tell Doc to check your post when he gets his lazy butt up! Imagine that: We went to bed at a quarter to 4 this morning and I was up at 7:30 AM and Roger got up at 9:30 AM and here that LAZY Dr. Who is still sleeping and it's almost 10 AM! What's up with that? A couple of "old men" have more stamina that that 23-year-old college kid! LOLOLOL!

Picky: I had an absolute blast at the, "Small House Theater," yesterday, although I'm thinking that you really need to add a second line to that title. I think it should read: "Small House Theater... with Big House Sound!"

I would like for all of you to know what a great host and hostess we had yesterday in Glenn and Verna (and mom too!). They were both dedicated to providing us with a wonderful experience at the, "Small House Theater," and spent a great deal of time explaining all of the variables that went into their design of an award-winning theater. I also appreciated the input I received from Glenn as we discussed some ideas for the basement theater that I am in the process of finishing. All in all I had a great time yesterday and was only disappointed that I could not stay longer and experience the AKFest with the fellas last night and today.

Glenn, I would like to thank you and Verna for opening your home to me yesterday. I hope to return the favor sometime soon! If my pictures turned out, I'll post them here. I hope you all have a great weekend!

-David

First, I want to start by saying to Dizrotus that I am so sorry: I forgot to take a picture of you and your son Ross with the group while you were here. We got so involved with going to dinner and then resolving the firewire cable failure when we returned that in all of the activity I completely forgot! And, I am really sorry Neil and Ross!

dkp: Thank you so much for the kind words, David. I know the other guys enjoyed meeting you too and you were a joy to have over the house and I want to thank you for making the trip out here, especially considering how hard it is for our to tear yourself away from your responsibilites at home with regard to your daughter's special needs. Thanks also for the loan of the two DVDs. I know we will enjoy watching them. You are certainly welcome back at our place anytime!

Below, L to R: dpk, picky, Indyklipschfan, Dr. Who

post-10177-13819329578808_thumb.jpg

Here are the results of the full-spectrum sweep at 12 feet from the front speaker array (completely stock, Klipsch RF-7s and RC-7) with the mic placed at the room's sweet spot with both the office and bathroom doors "Open" and the utility door door "Closed"...Pretty flat all the way down to 19 Hz and up through 16 KHz....

post-10177-13819329585942_thumb.jpg