AKFEST07 WEEKEND at PICKY'S: (Attendees & Detroit Area Klipschers)

picky

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AH! (DUH!) Now I get it: Sorry for not making the connection! No, she was not there. I met her nephew instead. They make nice equipment, but it's all named after seafood!: Manta, Mahi, Shrimp.....all I could afford was a freaking Sardine! LOLOL

Well, look at the bright side. A sardine is better than a measly plankton, right? [:P][;)]

To all who attended: Verna, Rose (mom) and I just want to thank you all for coming! Each one of you really enriched our weekend and you all were wonderful guests. This is especially true of Dr. Who and Indyklipschfan who both stayed with us during the weekend. I appreciated hearing each of your opinions and feedback on what your thoughts were on your first experience with our room and what you thought I might be able to do to improve anything. I'd also like to thank Dr. Who for bringing his room evalution equipment out and analyzing our room for us! You are the man, Doc! It was also fun to watch the reactions of each guest during the demos: I saw a few of you flinch on the first few gun shots during 'Open Range': "Is it live, or is it Memorex?" LOL The AKFEST was a lot of fun too and I sure am glad to have expereinced it. I even won one of the hourly door prizes: a Miracle vinyl record cleaning kit made by The Disc Doctor. That's a pretty nice gift and I own about 400 albums! I must admit, after listening to all of those systems yesterday, I am still totally satisfied with my current system at home. I did hear several very good systems at the show, but none sounded better to me than my own Klipsch Reference System.

Roger (Indy): Thanks for the really nice hot sauce assortment (some of the best ones are in there!) and for 'The fifth element' DVD. We'd never seen that movie and it is definitely a keeper! You are quite generous!

All-in-all, I've never had a weekend around home so full of audio enjoyment. Thank you all once again for taking the time to drive out here and see us. You are all welcome back in our home anythime!

-Glenn, Verna & Rose

Pretty sure he is. Follow some of his links. He posts a lot on the AK forums as Clarence. Only get a little of his crazy side, he was on the edge with some of his comments on the McIntosh forum...if somebody had bit at some of his comments I think he would have come unglued. Has NADs and Heresy III's. Sure fits the description.

Ron: Since you were in town: It would have been great to have you come by the house too with the rest of the gang! It's too bad things didn't work out that way. Dr. Who told me he met Clarence at the AKFEST, too. I had no clue he was there until after we left and Doc told me. Clarence was not at our house, however. -Glenn

Who - Is this the first time you've heard Craigs Trachorn'd LaScala? Wondering what you thought.

I'm pissed at myself for not going. I was thinking about it at the last minute but sheesh - quite a drive. Was there any room that you all thought sounded better than the others?

meagain: Yes, it's a shame you didn't drive on out. We would have enjoyed meeting you.

EDIT - In my opinion, with the exception of Craig's NOS Valves room, the room that had Manley Tube amps and Central Audio speakers from Denmark had the best overall sound. In all, I heard only 3 or 4 rooms that sounded decent. -Glenn

Ron: Since you were in town: It would have been great to have you come by the house too with the rest of the gang! It's too bad things didn't work out that way. Dr. Who told me he met Clarence at the AKFEST, too. I had no clue he was there until after we left and Doc told me. Clarence was not at our house, however. -Glenn

picky,

Was not in town. Here in Dallas following all the fun via the internet. March tends to be too cold and wet for me in Michigan. Did drink some Verners and wondered what happened with the Redwings the other night.

meagain: Yes, it's a shame you didn't drive on out. We would have enjoyed meeting you. In my opinion, the room that had Manley Tube amps and Central Audio speakers from Denmark had the best overall sound. In all, I heard only 3 or 4 rooms that sounded decent. -Glenn

Are you not including my room in the mix? Just descent? The Manley room was better? Don't get me wrong if that is what it is I can accept that. I just find the remarks conflicting or unclear.

Craig

Are you not including my room in the mix? Just descent? The Manley room was better? Don't get me wrong if that is what it is I can accept that. I just find the remarks conflicting or unclear.

Craig

I like the sound of that.... The Manly Room.... yes sir'y Bob..... plenty of testosterone in there, but I don't know about this dimly lit dark room.... looks pretty scary in there to me...[;)]

post-12381-13819329618914_thumb.jpg

Looks like a great time was had by all. Doc showed up here on Saturday night and we worked on my gear all day Sunday. Picky- dig the trace of your sound system- amazing how well it 'looks'. But we all know that you have a killer setup. Surprise that Doc reported that it sounded better with the doors open. Was that test with the mains on or all 7 speakers pumping? [:#]

Energized from the weekend, Doc helped me rewire my rack with my new Yamaha RXV-2600 and Yamaha DVD player (the old Sony had taken up the bad habit of skipping lately). Now I'm in Hi-Def, except for the tv.

Armed with his Big RED Suitcase of test gear, Doc took some outdoor measurements for me. I'd seen Trey do some tests on MWM bass bin outside at Klipsch, so we set up identically and ran curves on a Heresy, HIP, KP201, and KP250 and made some observations.

Doc's getting good at this stuff. Roger stopped by with his mic stand and visited for a while yesterday, we printed some maps for Doc, and he was going back up to Rogers, and then stopping by Trey's on the way home. Hope he gets to class ok this am. You guys really showed him a good time.

So what did you guys REALLY think of the offerings at the AK Fest? How did it SOUND???

Michael

meagain: Yes, it's a shame you didn't drive on out. We would have enjoyed meeting you. In my opinion, the room that had Manley Tube amps and Central Audio speakers from Denmark had the best overall sound. In all, I heard only 3 or 4 rooms that sounded decent. -Glenn

Craig

Oops! You are right, Craig! I do need to clarify my statement. Sorry for the confusion, dude!

I did not include the NOS Valves room in my earlier statement. I consider the NOS Valves room to be "part of our family". My statement pertains to "all of the others". I've stated numerous times on this forum what I think about your VRD ampllfiers. I think they are superior and incomparible to anything else I have heard thus far in the tube sector and they are an exceptional value for the money. If I ever have the money to invest in a serious tube system, it certainly will include your amps. I shall go back an edit that post with a disclaimer. -Glenn

Just thought I'd chime in and mention that I pulled in safely this morning and just finished my first class....ended up spending the night at Trey's after Roger's, Colter's, Picky's, AK Fest, and lots more of Picky's....talk about a wild trip. I had a blast and thanks to everyone for everything. Got some school stuff to do and then I'll probably get around to posting later tonite...

By the way, I totally forgot to bring my music to AK Fest so can't really comment confidently on anything I heard (except for the utter crap). I still don't like LP's, heard one "acceptable" one but forget what it was. Craig's tube amps are interesting though...