AKFEST07 WEEKEND at PICKY'S: (Attendees & Detroit Area Klipschers)

picky

Even 30 years ago in the old days when gas was $ 0.80 per gallon we always had at least our ANALOG cassette tapes in the car with us on a serious road trip. Music got packed before socks and underwear.

"Interesting" or "uninteresting" is a more clear term when used to describe people. Craig's new lady friend appears to be more interesting than him. Is she the new technician Craig is sending over to bias my amp?

Who, you need to consult the Theasaurus to find some better music words for tube amps.[:|]

lol, that was the problem....we didn't take my car to the hotel - else I would have remembered that my CD case was left on Picky's counter downstairs [:'(][:S] My demo CD woulda sounded like crap on all of the systems there anyway. [:@]

Btw, I think interesting is a good thing for a "tube hater"... [:o][;)]

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe McIntosh needed this in their room? You reallly need to watch the video to appreciate it.

And the music is not 1/2 bad... I just can't see it happeneing all cranked up! LOL

Personally, it might have lightened everyone up some!

And then GWAR explaining themselves.. hahahahahahaha

=

covering Alice Coopers "schools out" < this one is good too..

=

I just have a hard time seeing/hearing this in some of the rooms..LOL...

Its amazing any of the systems sounded good, as I imagine those rooms where not exactly designed for sound. Any presenters bring room treatments?

Yes, a few presenters brought acoustical treatment....only one of them had it set up properly though. As far as the general acoustics - it was very typical of a normal smallish living room. While nowhere near perfect, it couldn't be used as an excuse for most of the sound that was heard. I'd take a well setup Bose Acoustimass system over most of the rooms we heard...

Ain't it fun being bluntly opinionated? [:D]

I wonder what everyone is talking about over at the AK forum... [:o]

Hmmmmm funny that is not the comments I heard from you at the show. I'd like to know what demo discs you think you have that would sound horrible on any system at the show.

Craig

Even 30 years ago in the old days when gas was $ 0.80 per gallon we always had at least our ANALOG cassette tapes in the car with us on a serious road trip. Music got packed before socks and underwear.

"Interesting" or "uninteresting" is a more clear term when used to describe people. Craig's new lady friend appears to be more interesting than him. Is she the new technician Craig is sending over to bias my amp?

Who, you need to consult the Theasaurus to find some better music words for tube amps.[:|]

lol, that was the problem....we didn't take my car to the hotel - else I would have remembered that my CD case was left on Picky's counter downstairs [:'(][:S] My demo CD woulda sounded like crap on all of the systems there anyway. [:@]

Mike-I would love to find out the name of that group we listened to on your demo cd. I think you said that you got it from Damon? There was another one as well, I think it was the first one you played and it was all instrumental...

Thanks!

David

David (dpk): Finally! After about 3 years of talking about it, you and I have finally met! Thanks for driving out, Dave. It's just too bad that you couldn;t stay longer and had gone to dinner with us, too. Now that you've been here, don't be a stranger. I expect a demo in that HT of yours when its finished! Please send any photos you have to me in email if you can. Thanks.

Mike (Dr. Who): I'm so glad you were finally able to make it out our way and spend a couple of days with us. That makes up for your missing the BBQ last August! LOL Now Trey needs to get his hiney out here for a listen! You were a great house guest, Doc. Thanks again for testing our room. Please send me the graphs and explanations as soon as you get them together. C'mon back here any time!

Neil (Dizrotus): We all enjoyed meeting your son, Ross. Thanks for bringing him along with you. Thanks also for bringing those speakers to my place and saving Doc a trip over to your neck of the woods. You are now becoming more familiar with Dunleavey's menu items. I hope the fish & chips measured up to your expectations? You've been to our place numerous times now and of course you are welcome back any time. Thanks for bringing out the munchies and Vernor's ginger ale! Sorry you and Ross couldn't stay longer.

Paul (Parrot): Thank you for taking the time to come out and give our HT a try. It's too bad that you and Craig were unable to stay longer as I would have loved to play a movie for you. I've always enjoyed talking to you about audio and I enjoy your candor. It was nice discussing the different systems we both heard at the audio fest with you. We seem to share some of the same tastes in sound. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself at our place. You are welcome back any time you are in the area.

Roger (Indyklipschfan): Thank you, Sir for being such a wonderful house guest! And also for all of the kind things you said about us and our HT. You are always welcome back in our home and we are proud to now count you among our friends. I will enjoy those hot sauces you brought for us and I am eager to show 'The fifth element' DVD you gave us to Verna. I think she will really enjoy seeing it. It's a great movie that was well ahead of its time. We enjoyed staying up until 4 in the morning opn Friday with you and Doc and again until 5 in the morning watching all of those video concerts. I'm glad you enjoyed the Pink Floyd so much. It really is like almost being there, isn't it? They did a wonderful job producing that 'Pulse' DVD and I thoroughly enjoyed watching your 'The making of Dark Side of the Moon' DVD. Thanks for bringing that along with you. We're looking forward to meeting Cindy in June.

Craig (NOS Valves): It was ironic that you tend to order the same brand of pizza at home that we ordered that night (Jet's Pizza). There are several different places we rotate between, but I guess Saturday night must have been destiny. LOL! I know you are more into 2-Channel systems rather than surround systems, so your compliments mean even more to me. Thank you for expressiong your glowing thoughts about our room. I'm just sorry you couldn;t stay longer so we could have shown a movie. My wife Verna enjoyed meeting both you and Paul. You are always welcome at our home, Craig. Thanks for coming out with Paul. The system you had in your AK room was the winner of the show, hands down for me. Thanks for letting us all hang out there Saturday afternoon!

I now consider you all my friends. Thank you for making this such a terriffic weekend for Venra and I. I can't remember the last time I had a weekend of fun with a group of guys without someone getting drunk or arrested or both! LOL It was a great time. Thanks you guys! -Glenn

The first song was Track 10 from Cirque du Soleil's "Le Best of" Album. I don't know the name of the song because it's too complicated (or maybe cuz I don't speak Italian or whatever language it is).

The second song was from Damon, and it's not Depeche Mode like y'all were thinking...I've got the list on my pc at home, but track titles don't transfer when you rip .wav files so I need to hunt it down. Damon gave me 3 CDs worth of "industrial/electronica" to get a feel for more bands that I enjoy. Speaking of which, I still owe him a review on the 3 CDs...

The 3rd song is Loreena McKennitt - The Mummer's Dance. Does it fit in the "Celtic" genre? I'm not sure, but I love the song.

oh my, you're taking that totally the wrong way...inflection and finger quotes dont' really transfer on the board do they?

I'll have a proper review later tonite...

Well you know me I like things laid out and to the point or not at all. Beating around the bush just leaves things up in the air. Just say exactly what you think good or bad. If your going to be bluntly opinionated then get to it[;)] You will find I respect someone that just plain say it as they see it.

By the way I personally didn't listen to many systems at the show other then my own personal AK friends systems. I rarely have time to be sitting down and giving the other systems a listen. I did pop into the Mac room and the other one with the 7' tall jobs. Not impressed at all. McIntosh did a much better job last year. I also listened to the $32000 tube amp from Renaissance Audio, 5 years in the making with computer logic built in front to back, you can hook up a PC and test all kinds of interesting parameters. Very cool from a techno babble stand point but in all reality totally useless and costly features to the end user. I sat talking with those guys for nearly an hour. It's really to bad it sounded like dung and they were the first to admit it (at least to me). The speakers were capable of 17Hz but the room surely didn't like it! This was the first show for these guy's I bet they learned from their mistakes.

Craig

It is just a little brighter on the tube side. Always room for another...

Who - I'm looking forward to your review and I'm hopeing you are blazingly honest with it.

How could anyone think something was Depeche when it's not? Pretty distinctive. Certainly Dave's voice.

Does Dr. Edgar go to any of these things? I'd be curious to hear his stuff.

Any more pictures?

Edit - when you all say something sounds bad.... I'm curious in what way?

A few things that sounded bad in certain various systems:

Rattling when turned up! I'm not sure if it was the speakers physically or something else in the room, but I think it was the speakers themselves.

Room-sized vocalist instead of real-sized vocalist.

Flat imaging.

Lack of dynamics: On a familiar recording, not enough sudden impact when you know it should be there.

At least a couple systems were downright unpleasant to listen to, and I had to leave. I'm guessing it was distortion. And the offender here were the vocals!

There was a system I called Roger in to listen to, but in the meantime they had changed the music and what had sounded very nice now sounded very bad. That meant their system couldn't handle just anything, and in this case they were the ones choosing the material.

But I don't want to over-emphasize the negative. There were some very nice systems that would probably make 95% of people happy. As I'm thinking about it, some of these included some of the more modestly priced equipment. I wonder if there can be a negative correlation on price and quality [:)]

How could anyone think something was Depeche when it's not? Pretty distinctive. Certainly Dave's voice.

meagan: You weren't there: I was. It SOUNDED like Dave's voice! ...for a while, anyway and then we discounted our first perception. I am a huge fan of Depeche Mode. It probably would have fooled you, too.

Ok, here's the 2nd track on that CD:

Covenant: "Bullet" from Northern Lights

You can find a sample from their website:

http://www.covenant.se/

Click on the intro screen and it opens a new window. Click on Media. In the list of music, click on Northern Light 2002. Then click on the top middle icon album cover dohickey. Then on the right, click on the little speaker looking thing next to track 3 that is entitled "Bullet". Click Play on the media player thing and be patient while it slowly loads.