AKFEST07 WEEKEND at PICKY'S: (Attendees & Detroit Area Klipschers)

picky

We all love to tweek it... But seriously here.. in a 2 channel or HT environment this is a a very scary as all get out. (Meaning a great combo.) While I agree with Craig, you need to turn it down just under what you think for 2 channel to not get any un natural excessive boominess... For HT, I can only imagine some of Pick's demo material once we get this thing "dialed in" too. OMG!!!!

There is a 10dB difference between the Dolby/DTS modes for the subwoofer channel versus that for non-surround modes (like straight up 2 channel). I'd like to play with your setup a bit more just to make sure, but your Sunfire was running the sub channel at +10dB all the time. I don't think you do any 2-channel listening in there anyway so it's probably nothing to worry about?.....but a properly running system should not require any changes to the individual channels when switching between the various modes.

It really makes you wonder how many other pieces of gear aren't handling the bass signals properly and how many people are being misled by it. +-10dB is a huge fricken difference.

Btw, Colter's reciever is THX Select2, which isn't the same spec as Ultra2....but apparently that spec is good enough to drive the sub amp without any problems.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, so I did a little bit of homework....

What software version are you running on your reciever Roger? Remember it automatically changing the mains to small on us when calibrating the sub volume? Looks like that puts you at older than v4.23:

http://www.sunfire.com/flashupdateIV.htm

It also looks like Sunfire addressed the subwoofer volume level a different way:

Sub trims are retained on a per-mode (DTS, Dolby

Digital, or two-channel source) basis. That is, if you adjust the

subwoofer trim in any DTS mode, it will retain that setting for the

next time you use a DTS source. The same is true for Dolby Digital. All

DTS modes share the same subwoofer trim. Similarly, all Dolby Digital

modes share a single subwoofer trim. And all two-channel source modes

(Stereo, Party, Neo:6, Pro Logic IIx, etc.) share a single subwoofer

trim.

Basically you need to manually set it - annoying, but not a huge deal.

What are your thoughts (Or anyone Else's) on the Velodyne SMS-1 sub bass system? It might boost the signal and room correct EQ it out very nice as well?

I guess were going to find out Mike.. hehehehehehe It helps to build 6 HT's through a dealer in 2006- 2007. They appreciated my business, and I got a WONDERFUL deal on one. If this unit can also be set and left alone... and get every ounce of energy out of the Sunfire IV pre amp, the down to the Velodyne unit down to the KA-1000 amp to power 2 of the THX KSW120 subs.... I will be a very very happy camper.

I will be 100% honest on my findings in here... This hopefully will be my last tweak. Like u said looking at the older x overs in case something needs to be replaced.. I plan to leave them all stock. Besides, a fancy x over for 7 Scala's might break me!! hahahahaha

Dr Who..

Sub trims are retained on a per-mode (DTS, Dolby Digital, or two-channel source) basis. That is, if you adjust the subwoofer trim in any DTS mode, it will retain that setting for the next time you use a DTS source. The same is true for Dolby Digital. All DTS modes share the same subwoofer trim. Similarly, all Dolby Digital modes share a single subwoofer trim. And all two-channel source modes (Stereo, Party, Neo:6, Pro Logic IIx, etc.) share a single subwoofer trim.

You can trim them down....But not boost the signal...[:(] That's the Problem..

I said it before.. A Song For The Common Man..AARON COPLAND. (We heard it a lot last weekend in Detroit....) OMG it is just frigggin awesome now on my 2 channel La Scala's system, with the subs.. This Velodyne will address the issues I think to keep everything in check, too, like Craig wants... but also give me the gut wrenching solid lows you feel in your soul...

And at 17 feet back!

You can trim them down....But not boost the signal...[:(] That's the Problem..

You don't need to boost the signal once you've got the impedance mismatch taken care of. What you will need to do is go through and lower the sub channel 10dB on every non-surround mode your receiver has...and probably for every input too?

Indy & Doc: Last night I raised the levels of the two rear surround channels by 3.0 db and it seems to be making a positive difference when seated in the theater seats. At first, I feared that it might add too much to the surround effect and I might want to back it off -1.5 db. But after listening to various source material, I think I'm going to leave it alone at 3.0 db for a while and see how I like it after I get used to it. As Indy predicted, it makes it a lot easier to detect the rear channel effects and so far seems to enhance the experience. I'll have to try sitting at the bar, too and see if the rear channels are way too loud there. The original settings were: Left Rear -3.5 db and Right Rear -3.0 db. Now, they are Left Rear -0.5 db and Right Rear -0.0 db. Thanks for the suggestion! -Glenn

EDIT [;)]

Roy Delgado: I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to meet you in Hope last June. i guess I missed meeting you by about 10 minutes! Rats! Will you be in Indy in June?

set your watch ahead 15 minutes...........

have a blessed day,

roy delgado

ps. yes, God willing. look forward to meeting you....

The Velodyne EQ is pretty cool though.

Does it work with fixed frequencies and fixed Q's? Or do they change to match those of the problems?

You can set it up manualy or let the sub do it itself .

Sometimes I just tune the tv to the sub channel ; I have a sub channel , and check out the response curves of the various material being sent through the system .

The picture shown is Pantera's Cowboys From Hell .

Sorry guys: This wound up here originally because it was all about the AKFEST07 (basically a 2-channel event) when I started it. It just sort of migrated towards HT. After all, with 255 replies, the subject can't help but wander some. That's why I made sure that when I posted my demo DVD list, I took it over to the HT forum where it belongs.